P. taeniatus Moliwe parental care behavior
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 04-29-2009, 01:56 AM   #1
notropis
Planted Member

PTrader: (11/100%)

P. taeniatus Moliwe parental care behavior

These are my first Moliwe pair and my first cichlids ever. I really was not expecting them to spawn but for awhile there I had one fry I named Jr. (I say "had" because after a couple of days he went AWOL and has been absent ever since.)

So the first time I saw Jr I thought the male parent ate him. Jr was out with both parents but then the male sucked him in...and spit him out. So this seemed to be common behavior and I saw both parents do it multiple times. My question...is this common behavior for Moliwe or is my pair just inexperienced as this was their first fry?
EHEIM 2213 #317
notropis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2009, 03:16 AM   #2
Trallen44
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)

My kribs do this when the fry are wigglers to move them back where they want them to be. I haven't seen it once they are free swimming for a day or two.
Trallen44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 07:07 AM   #3
Pooky125
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Pooky125 Send a message via MSN to Pooky125 Send a message via Yahoo to Pooky125 Send a message via Skype™ to Pooky125

My moliwe's did it with each of their few spawns. They were also a pretty inexperienced pair, and never managed to raise their fry to more then 5 or 6 days old before they ate them, but they were fun to watch. I wouldn't worry to much about it just yet. If they've spawned for you once, they're likely to do it for you again, and soon!
Pooky125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 01:39 AM   #4
notropis
Planted Member

Thanks Trallen and Pooky,

I am hoping that if the pair spawned once they will do it again. Now I won't be so surprised when they eat Jr and spit him back out again. Thanks for the advice.

Pooky, you're somewhat in my neighborhood although I am farther south in the wasteland of aquarium stores. I got my Moliwe at Liquid Sunshine in Eugene which I consider to be my LFS even though in reality it is my not-so-LFS.
EHEIM 2213 #317
Old 05-07-2009, 07:36 PM   #5
notropis
Planted Member

Oh goodness, there are about a dozen new juniors and I can still see the yolk sacs on some!! I'm not observing the eating and spitting behavior with these but I imagine it would be difficult to get a dozen sucked in all at once.

It is really cool to see mom and pop (aka Fem-bot and Valentino) sheperding the juniors around the tank.
EHEIM 2213 #317