Mini Planted Tank Journal (pics!)
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks

Old 04-23-2009, 03:17 PM   #1
bazil323
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Mini Planted Tank Journal (pics!)

I've been pestering people all over the forums and searching, searching, searching on the internet for answers about mini planted tanks. I'd like to say thank you to everyone who posted and helped me on my first ever planted only, high light tank.

I finally started getting it set up last night. It's a 2.5 gallon minibow. I have a desk lamp that takes a 27w compact flourescent 6700K bulb. The Flourite Sand Black came in along with the Echinodorus bleheri compacta and some other supplies, which allowed me to get planting (already had the subwrassertang, crypt wenditii, Elantine triandra and Windelov fern). I put in about a 3" substrate since I wanted enough room for the rooted plants, and since it's such a small tank, I thought that a deeper substrate would help even though it really limited the head room for the plants growth upward.

I currently have the foreground Elantine triandra (spelling?), which is fairly sparse at the moment as many kept floating up, and I gave up trying to plant the little buggers. There is also another small foreground looking plant that I don't know what it is. I came in with the Elantine. Pics at bottom. I have a Windelov fern tied to a piece of some sort of quartz or other crystalline rock with a granite base. I also have another rock (not sure what kind) with the subwrassertang tied to it. Both rocks are a whitish color.

In the left back corner, I have 2 Echinodorus bleheri compacta. I have a medium size Crypt wenditii (not sure if bronze or red) in the mid/background near the middle to right of the tank. I also have 2 very small crypts in there.

I am expecting a couple Ludwigia glandulosa to be arriving this week, which I will have in the right corner.

I decided not to use the Tetra Whisper mini internal filter in this tank as it was just going to take up too much space. I will be looking for either a smaller filter or powerhead for some movement.

I am dosing with Yamato Green-N liquid ferts and Excel. Depending on how well the root feeders do, I may pick up some root tabs.

Now for the pics! Sorry for the poor quality. The lighting was not good (planted it at home and brought in to work today), and it was still cloudy from the sand. I will take more pics tomorrow or next week with it in place on my desk and settled down. I will also be posting more pics as it starts to grow in.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tank substrate.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	163.6 KB
ID:	13190  

Name:	tank 1.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	153.9 KB
ID:	13191  

Name:	tank 2.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	107.4 KB
ID:	13192  

Name:	tank 3.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	115.5 KB
ID:	13193  

Name:	tank 4.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	136.0 KB
ID:	13194  

bazil323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2009, 03:19 PM   #2
bazil323
Algae Grower

And more pics...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Unknown 1.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	73.0 KB
ID:	13195  

Name:	Unknown closeup 1.JPG
Views:	48
Size:	146.3 KB
ID:	13196  

Name:	Unknown closeup 2.JPG
Views:	45
Size:	144.6 KB
ID:	13197  

Old 04-23-2009, 06:08 PM   #3
Pletchetero
Algae Grower

I have that exact same tank.
Do you know that the big rim on the top can be used as a stand?
Are you going to keep any fish in it?
Pletchetero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 07:26 PM   #4
bazil323
Algae Grower

Really? No I did not know that.

At this time, no fish are planned. I may have some cherry shrimp or perhaps a snail in the future, but since it is at work and I work full time, I wanted to keep it as low maintenance as possible.

Tags
bowfront, mini, planted