aquarium stand in raw industrial style - Page 3
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > DIY

Old 04-14-2009, 06:41 PM   #31
hydrophyte
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (138/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppy View Post
Absolutely beautiful! And, I have a question I keep forgetting to ask: are the legs chamfered on the bottom? And, do you have levelers for feet, on the legs?
the legs are cut flat underneath. however, i attached heavy-duty, screw-on plastic glides under each leg. i am building another one of these and have started a thread in the journals forum. i will try to remember to post a picture.

the floor is pretty flat. i think i put a little scrap of 1/8" plexiglass under just one leg to level it out.
hydrophyte is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2009, 04:04 AM   #32
original kuhli
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

Very nice work, love the basic yet attractive design. Wouldn't be too tough to turn it into a closed in version either. Nice!
original kuhli is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2009, 05:08 AM   #33
Hoppy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (74/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by original kuhli View Post
Very nice work, love the basic yet attractive design. Wouldn't be too tough to turn it into a closed in version either. Nice!

Only took a few minutes!
Old 04-16-2009, 05:09 AM   #34
hydrophyte
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by original kuhli View Post
yep, i think that it would look real nice skinned with plywood panels painted and finished like the shelf, but set in flush with the natural wood 2X4's and 4X4's. one would just need to add a center brace to stop doors where they meet in middle.

i considered this for the second one that i just started, but i decided to build it too with an open shelf area.

hydrophyte
Old 04-16-2009, 05:11 AM   #35
hydrophyte
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:

Only took a few minutes!
you beat me to it!

how about with a light green, blue or purple--to contrast with the warm cedar hue?
Old 04-16-2009, 01:10 PM   #36
Sven
Planted Member

Your stand is absolutely gorgeous. But one thing would make me worry, the whole weight of the tank is supported mainly be the 4 legs. The 2x4' between the legs are only held up with the screws, therefore putting alot of pressure on these screws.
This might be OK in your case since you have a terrarium, therefore not as heavy as a fully filled aquarium. But this design would worry me on a stand that should carry a filled tank.
Eheim pimp #127.
600 ltr (160g) planted tank. Pressurized CO2, Eheim 2260 & Sacem Marathon 2000, 156W T5.
Sven is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2009, 04:07 PM   #37
EricSilver
Planted Tank Obsessed

This is fantastic. I love the shelf with the plant underneath.

I am going to build one of these in a teak & brass nautical/yacht scheme. The exposed brass and steel CO2 equipment will blend right in.

Just for fun, send the photos to HGTV. I would not be surprised if their designers took an interest.

Nice job.
Aquasun 156W Quad 5000K || SunSun 302 Canister Filter (Sunsun Pimp #77) || Pressurized CO2 || Dual Current Gamma 15W UV Sterilizers || Hydor Inline Heater
EricSilver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2009, 04:11 PM   #38
EricSilver
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven View Post
Your stand is absolutely gorgeous. But one thing would make me worry, the whole weight of the tank is supported mainly be the 4 legs. The 2x4' between the legs are only held up with the screws, therefore putting alot of pressure on these screws.
This might be OK in your case since you have a terrarium, therefore not as heavy as a fully filled aquarium. But this design would worry me on a stand that should carry a filled tank.
Actually, the corners support essentially all the weight. I have a wrought iron stand and the front/back/left/right bars bear very little, if any weight.
Aquasun 156W Quad 5000K || SunSun 302 Canister Filter (Sunsun Pimp #77) || Pressurized CO2 || Dual Current Gamma 15W UV Sterilizers || Hydor Inline Heater
Old 04-20-2009, 07:40 PM   #39
hydrophyte
Planted Tank Guru

this looks awfully rustic as a post right after Marcin's excellent work, but i just put together another stand with galvanized framing connectors, 2X4's and 4X4's.

this one is for a 55G. i have a few more observations to add.
Old 04-20-2009, 07:52 PM   #40
hydrophyte
Planted Tank Guru

here are the screws that i used

these are fancy screws. it took almost two boxes (about 20 bucks) to put the stand together. the important factor in selecting these was the head, which looked right with the steel connectors.

and here are the glides that i used under each leg.

Old 04-20-2009, 07:57 PM   #41
smoq
local fisherman

PTrader: (37/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrophyte View Post
this looks awfully rustic as a post right after Marcin's excellent work, but i just put together another stand with galvanized framing connectors, 2X4's and 4X4's.

You're kidding me? I love your stand. I am thinking of building a TV stand like this. I would like if the metal corners rust, that would look awesome.
smoq is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2009, 08:24 PM   #42
hydrophyte
Planted Tank Guru

thanks! you're right--rusted metal would look cool. you'd have to sandblast or otherwise beat up that galvanizing to get it to rust.

i have a couple more ideas. i might build a similar stand for a 90G, but using carriage bolts--also exposed--to tie it together.
Old 04-21-2009, 12:38 AM   #43
EricSilver
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrophyte View Post

It's terrific.
Old 04-21-2009, 01:11 AM   #44
Hoppy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (74/100%)

The design still looks great, expanded to 4 feet long. What makes it work so well is the beautiful finish on the wood, contrasted to the utilitarian metal parts. Incidentally, WD40 will remove the price stickers on the metal parts. Or is that the ultimate touch of utility?

Another subtle thing: your sense of proportion also goes far in making these stands look so great. That would be easy to mess up, for someone like me.
Old 04-21-2009, 06:07 PM   #45
hydrophyte
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
The design still looks great, expanded to 4 feet long. What makes it work so well is the beautiful finish on the wood, contrasted to the utilitarian metal parts. Incidentally, WD40 will remove the price stickers on the metal parts. Or is that the ultimate touch of utility?

Another subtle thing: your sense of proportion also goes far in making these stands look so great. That would be easy to mess up, for someone like me.
i'll remove those stickers when/if i get to it. i agree with your point about contrast. the first one of these that i built used cheap pine 2X4's, which did not contrast so nicely with the steel hardware.

if i can remember i will try to Photoshop a picture with dimensions in inches and put it up too.

here are a few more pictures.

detail of inside joint. as you can see, this construction is quite sturdy.

glide attached.

the western red cedar is very soft wood, but i pre-drilled holes so that screws would drive in straight.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.