Sick Blue Rams - Updated W/pics - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 04-08-2009, 03:47 PM   #16
helgymatt
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (50/98%)

This is very good information! So it seems like it could be bacteria infection then, right? I think I'll give this a shot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayBoy1205 View Post
I recently lost both of my female GBRs. They looked exactly like yours. After I lost the first female I started treating my entire tank (126g) with pimafix and melafix. I ended up loosing the second female. Not allot of options as it houses many red cherry shrimp and no quarantine tank available. After a full 7 days of treatment the male has recoverd and is doing good. It affected the females first though and the male was only showing a slight indication.

Ok...same symptoms, same treatment, same results. Thank you for the information!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewalltheway View Post
Matt,
I had a similar problem with some fish I had and I used both Melafix and Pimafix together for 7 days then water change. These products are safe for plants. You still may lose some fish that have been affected but save the ones that aren't infected yet. Use the dosage amount on the bottle based on your aquarium size. Hope this helps. Also, remove your carbon or purigen from your filter during trreatment. Good Luck!!

Old 04-08-2009, 04:01 PM   #17
rich815
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (34/100%)

This happened to mine after I went with pressurized CO2 in my 72 gal. They got gaunt and then turned dark and almost black. All the other fish were fine. I guess they were more sensitive to the CO2 than the others for some reason. I moved them to my low tech 10 gal but it was too late and I lost them a few days later.

Did you recently introduce your pressurized CO2 system or crank it up a bit more in the last few days?
My Photography Website (my other hobby)
http://www.lightshadowandtone.com
rich815 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 04:25 PM   #18
helgymatt
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich815 View Post
This happened to mine after I went with pressurized CO2 in my 72 gal. They got gaunt and then turned dark and almost black. All the other fish were fine. I guess they were more sensitive to the CO2 than the others for some reason. I moved them to my low tech 10 gal but it was too late and I lost them a few days later.

Did you recently introduce your pressurized CO2 system or crank it up a bit more in the last few days?
No, they have been in pressurized CO2 since day 1.
Old 04-08-2009, 11:36 PM   #19
Siler
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

This is right on the money. Both medications are safe for plants. Remove the charcoal and anything else that will remove the medication. The water will get a bit foamy, but that's ok. It's treating the fish. And overmedicating will cause your fish further harm. I know you're angry, but having a QT tank really is the best idea, but sometimes for small and delicate fish it's harder on them to net them out and put them in another environment.

Personally I would treat them where they are, but if what you have is what I remember(it's been a while since I've been in the hobby)then the white fuzz is fungus. If it's not spots, but larger patches than it's a fungus that has grown over a bacterial infection. Now I could be wrong, but if not then Melafix and Pima fix will take care of the problem. Any fish too far gone you will lose, but the stronger ones will fight it off and be fine. They may end up with scars however.

Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewalltheway View Post
Matt,
I had a similar problem with some fish I had and I used both Melafix and Pimafix together for 7 days then water change. These products are safe for plants. You still may lose some fish that have been affected but save the ones that aren't infected yet. Use the dosage amount on the bottle based on your aquarium size. Hope this helps. Also, remove your carbon or purigen from your filter during trreatment. Good Luck!!
Old 04-09-2009, 04:08 AM   #20
helgymatt
Wannabe Guru

I setup a hospital tank today and I'm going to start with Maracyn and Maracyn-two in the morning once the fish get settled in a little.
Old 04-09-2009, 04:45 AM   #21
jasa73
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (21/100%)

What is your temp. Your fish can tolerate higher temps. It would help them fight whatever they have. Perhaps raise your temp a degree or two. This isnt a cure all but could support them while you are trying to figure out what is wrong.
jasa73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 01:43 AM   #22
helgymatt
Wannabe Guru

I treated the rams for 5 days in a hospital tank with Maracyn I and II and nox-ich (malachite green). They recovered and are now doing well. Hopefully things will stay that way! They must have had either parasites or bacteria infection.
Old 04-15-2009, 06:48 AM   #23
Aquarist_Fist
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasa73 View Post
What is your temp. Your fish can tolerate higher temps. It would help them fight whatever they have. Perhaps raise your temp a degree or two. This isnt a cure all but could support them while you are trying to figure out what is wrong.
This is good advice. Your temperature should be at least 81 degrees. This doesn't hurt the cardinals at all, and anything below is not good for rams.
Pimp Club Member #313

Originally Posted by macclellan
my personal favorite is Random Capitalization. It is so Very fun and Surprising.
Aquarist_Fist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 07:42 PM   #24
helgymatt
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarist_Fist View Post
This is good advice. Your temperature should be at least 81 degrees. This doesn't hurt the cardinals at all, and anything below is not good for rams.
Yes, the tank was at about 78 before. I plan to keep it around 82 from now on.