5Gal (soon to be) Betta Tank.
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 04-10-2009, 01:49 AM   #1
matticusfinch92
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Smile

5Gal (soon to be) Betta Tank.

Well first off, I'm new here so hello ladies, gents and fishies!

After the death of my last betta (Vince) I decided to redo my whole tank. I was originally thinking of putting a few guppies in there, but I think 5gallons is a bit too small, so I'm going to get another betta.

It used to have a potted anubias and some random weed from a local creek on a light coloured gravel, and my red VT... which all looked pretty crappy i guess.

I decided to do a dark gravel with driftwood and everything, and went down to this really great LFS yesterday, and here's the tank now:
(excuse the awful photography, I had to use my phone and the colours and everything are off, and I'm an awful photographer anyways)

The gravel is actually black, it just comes out weird on my camera.

I'm thinking a paler coloured betta to contrast the dark gravel and everything, also a nice change from the deep red of my last fish (I would addd some pictures of how the tank used to be but I can't find any)

I intend to go back there tomorrow and get some more plants, so any ideas would be greatly appreciated :P

I also need to get a new heater, me being the klutz I am decided to accidentally knock it off the table (i was cleaning it off) and it cracked on the inside.. and I didn't want to risk frying myself next time I reach into the water.

Ao anwyays, what do all you experienced fish people think of it?
I think the driftwood looks a bit awkward, but I couldn't figure out any other ways of arranging it (its two pieces, and I didn't realise how badly they fit together).

Any ideas for plants, fish, general comments etc are greatly appreciated, as I'm a real beginner to all of this.

Thanks
matticusfinch92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2009, 01:50 AM   #2
matticusfinch92
Algae Grower

I also forgot to add, last night I got home from work to find two weird tiny worm/leech things on the glass. I can't find them anymore, but I just wanted to know if they're ok?

I think it might have come on the driftwood.
Old 04-10-2009, 02:59 AM   #3
organic sideburns
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)
Send a message via AIM to organic sideburns

the wood looks good, but move it to either side of the tank. its too centered imo. u need some easy stem plants in the back to add some depth and just cuz the tank is too bare. maybe add some tiny stones/pebbles as well? might look good spread around the wood

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ta...ewer-pics.html
organic sideburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 03:27 AM   #4
matticusfinch92
Algae Grower

Thanks. I'm considering adding a bit of the old gravel I had (which was a combination of found pebbles and LFS gravel) and mixing it through to add a few different colours.

Any suggestions as to what plants would do well in my setup?

I was thinking some sort of grass, and (as you said) a stem plant for the back, which will also help to hide the heater when I put it in.

Thanks for the help
Old 04-10-2009, 03:36 AM   #5
sewingalot
I ♥ BBA!

PTrader: (112/100%)

That driftwood has great bones. I agree with organic on it being too centered. Move it just a tad and it will look great. If you are not going to get shrimp or fry, you will be okay with the worms. If you want to get rid of them, use dog dewormer. Doesn't hurt the live stock but kills worms and hydra. What are your specifications such as lighting, co2 and fertilizer method? That way you can get some good suggestions on plants to use.
Old 04-10-2009, 03:45 AM   #6
matticusfinch92
Algae Grower

Well... at the moment I have a horrid IKEA brand fluro lamp, which is 15watt or something. But I need a new one, or at least a better bulb for it. At the moment it's one of those 'warm white' ones or something, which probably does nothing for the plants anyway.

I don't intend to use any CO2, but I've always added 'plant food' (which is the actual name of the product as well), and it's just a regular aquarium gravel.

I want to keep things fairly low maintenance as well. But some suggestions for plants would be great, thanks
Old 04-10-2009, 04:03 AM   #7
sewingalot
I ♥ BBA!

PTrader: (112/100%)

You could definitely grow java ferns, crypts, limnophila sessiflora, most mosses, rotala sp. green may work, hornwort, vals, anubias (as you know) and sagittarius plants. You could also grow ludwigia repens as long as you didn't expect the red color. It is still pretty green. Since it is regular aquarium gravel, I wouldn't vacuum it much. Let the mulm build up in the soil and you will be good to go.

Tags
5gal, anubias, betta, low tech, nano