Finnex 4 Gallon - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks

Old 03-11-2009, 02:19 PM   #16
ZooTycoonMaster
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (31/100%)

Wow it looks great! Is the CO2 pressurized or DIY?
Eheim Pimp #341

ZooTycoonMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2009, 02:49 PM   #17
chase127
Anti iwagumi

PTrader: (113/99%)

that algae will go away quick with amanos but the tanks looking great keep up the good work. and Zoo, go to school...
chase127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 03:28 PM   #18
merk1_99
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)

Toss in more fast growing stemmies to get the tank over the top algae wise. When the tank has broken in you can get rid of the stemmies.

Everyone else's Finnex always looks better than mine as well. I am in the GW phase and hope to soon emerge from it...
merk1_99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 04:50 PM   #19
Outlawboss
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (35/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZooTycoonMaster View Post
Wow it looks great! Is the CO2 pressurized or DIY?
It's pressurized. I'm using a paintball style regulator hooked into a 9 oz paintball cylinder with a Red Sea needle valve. Nice and compact, and it should last several months between refills.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris127
that algae will go away quick with amanos but the tanks looking great keep up the good work. and Zoo, go to school...
Thanks! I'm not sure if I'll be able to get my hands on an amano. How about Red Cherries? They should help the algae as well right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by merk1_99
Toss in more fast growing stemmies to get the tank over the top algae wise.
Thanks for the suggestion. I never though about adding some sacrificial stem plants in there. Maybe they've got something cheap at the store right now.
Old 03-11-2009, 05:34 PM   #20
chase127
Anti iwagumi

eh cherries might eat some of it but theyre really detritus eaters/foragers. amanos are king for algae control. for the short time mine were alive, they cleaned up all the fuzz algae that looked just like yours.
Old 03-11-2009, 06:00 PM   #21
merk1_99
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)

I like you got the pressurized CO2 on it. So much easier than dosing excel if you got the $. My friends think I am crazy that I have pressurized on a 4 gal but the proof is in the pudding. If I could take pics of the plants through the gw you could see the plants are jumping out of the tank. What diffuser are you using. I like it it looks cool. How well is it working?
merk1_99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 06:33 PM   #22
Outlawboss
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Chris127 - Alright that's great to know. I always thought an amano would be kinda big for this tank and that he might not be happy with my cherries in there. I'll give it a try though!

merk1_99 - The diffuser I have is from Green Leaf Aquatics. It's the spiro one that acts as a bubble counter. I love watching the bubbles spiral through the glass. I started out with pressurized on my 30 gallon tank and I don't ever want to go back. It's too much fun and the benefits are worth the extra $ up front.
Old 03-11-2009, 06:40 PM   #23
chase127
Anti iwagumi

amanos wont be too big since youre in CA they shuoldnt be too hard to find at an LFS
Old 03-19-2009, 12:36 AM   #24
Outlawboss
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris127 View Post
amanos wont be too big since youre in CA they shuoldnt be too hard to find at an LFS
You were right Chris! They're readily available at my LFS, which happens to be a really nice place.

I got 3 to start with. The tank is still cycling a little bit, but my nerves got the better of me when I started seeing what I considered to be too much algae and other detrius. They lived overnight so I went and got 4 more today. Of course one of them immediately decided to play with fire and romp around the filter inlet. He got dead, but the others are happily munching.

I sure hope these can start to help my algae problem out. I'm quite confused (as usual) as to what to do in order to stop the spread.

Thus far, I have been dosing very minimally. NPK once a week into the water column, and I have Seachem solid ferts stuck into the gravel in strategic places.

The aglae isn't anything quite as bad as BBA, hair or fuzz algae. The best way I can describe it is detrius algae. It's clumpy and dirty looking more than anything else. Weird!

Anyway, some updated pictures. Hopefully I can get some fauna pictures tomorrow.

See what I mean by how clumpy it looks? It's very soft stuff. Not attached to the plants very firmly. The amanos should hopefully take care of it soon.

My poor HC is showing signs of algae now as well. Crap!

Full tank shot. Despite algae problems it's come a long way and I've learned a lot. I'm already thinking of future, much more natural looking aquascapes. My wife will love me.

And another bonus picture from my 30g. I brought some amanos home for that one as well and I got a stowaway! I have no idea what the little guy is, but I hope I can keep him alive long enough to find out. My dwarf gourami has been hunting him for days to no avail.
Old 03-24-2009, 06:58 AM   #25
Outlawboss
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Amanos in the house!!! 6 Amanos purchased last week, and they've all lived to tell the tale. They've also gone to work on my algae bigtime. Looking back at the last post, they've completely cleaned off parts of the tank. MAN they are hella fun to watch. I have coworkers getting in on the fun now. There's a few who now make a daily trip to see the progress and watch my little "bugs" for a few minutes. I'm really happy with the lessons I've learned on with this experiment. I originally thought I would tear it down and rescape once I felt comfortable with the Nano style...but now I dunno. I might leave it and see where it goes. Maybe a minor re-scape. That rock on the left seems to be detracting from things. I might remove it and use the taiwan moss as more of a carpet. It would make a really cool contrast to the HC.

Anyway, some pictures. I had a little time this afternoon so I went for some more dynamic shots. Hope you like em.

Amano-tastic!

Spreading hairgrass and HC. They're going to merge eventually. Cool!

Jungle shot.

Ubiquitus FTS. I've been noticing a slight green tinge lately. Maybe a minor case of green water. Should take care of itself soon enough.

And, since I've been too lazy to start a journal for my 30g, a bonus and completely non-nano related shot.

Old 03-24-2009, 01:37 PM   #26
Ugly Genius
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)

Looking good. I don't think you need to rescape at all. It's got enough structure to give it character, yet is open enough to allow for minor tweaks to the plantscape as your mood dictates.
I don't know how you keep a tank at work. I would get nothing done. It's hard enough not going online to check out this forum, let alone having a tank on my desk that I have to keep my hands out of.
Ugly Genius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 05:09 PM   #27
Outlawboss
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks UG! I'm lucky in that I get time to check the forums at work (SHH!) daily. It is totally hard to keep my hands out of the tank during normal work hours. Mostly I do maintenance at the end of the day when 95% of people have left. That way I get my kicks and nobody cares, or is there to make fun of me.
Old 03-24-2009, 08:58 PM   #28
bsmith
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (278/99%)

Do you have a drop checker on the tank? If not just keep nudging up the co2 untill you see stress in the animals. Also what is your lighting schedule? From the looks of the algea you may be leaving the lights on too long.
bsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 09:40 PM   #29
Outlawboss
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith782 View Post
Do you have a drop checker on the tank? If not just keep nudging up the co2 untill you see stress in the animals. Also what is your lighting schedule? From the looks of the algea you may be leaving the lights on too long.
No drop checker yet. I do like the ones they have at GLA though. Surely I'll get an itch to get one before long. Right now, I have C02 flowing at a rate that keeps the PH steady between 6.4 and 6.8. I know my GH/KH so I can get a ballpark number if I need.

My photo period is 8.5 hours right now. The tank is just now coming off it's cycle, so it could be something to do with the spike in nitrates in the water column. I'm doing daily (or every other daily) 20% water changes so I have faith that I will conquer it soon...unless I put soup into the water. Ugly Genius did!
Old 03-24-2009, 09:43 PM   #30
bsmith
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (278/99%)

Nitrates wont directly cause algea issues. What kind of light are you running?
bsmith is offline   Reply With Quote