NewGuy.........same old question.....
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 04-01-2003, 12:46 PM   #1
IceWish
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via MSN to IceWish

Hey im new here.Im from the Caribbean,Trinidad to be exact....fishes are cheap here ...but the equipment is really expensive.I really love this site you guys are really helpfull.....from just one day on this forum i learned more than i ever did about aquarium fishes and ive had fishes ever since i was a kid....i wanna know one thing for now and im sure you must have heard it a million times....I just got a new aquarium...infact im getting it today...its 48"x18"x18" that works up to be about 67.7 gallons.I really want to have a nice heavily planted tank with a few discus and some tiger barbs and some others...I wanna know whats the best filtration system to use for my tank size....And i dont have the cash so im gonna make a DIY CO2..is that a good idea?
And just another question to throw out ...i was wondering can i take a clay pot and grind it up and mix it in fine gravel to create an iron rich substrate....or am i being silly?
IceWish is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2003, 01:09 PM   #2
Rex Grigg
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Send a message via ICQ to Rex Grigg Send a message via AIM to Rex Grigg

DIY CO2 on a tank this size can be done but it's a lot of work. You would need around 3-4 2 liter bottles of mix going and need to rotate them on a regular basis to get any decent amounts of CO2. As far as grinding up a clay pot. That might work. But the cost of the substrate is very low when compared to the rest of the hardware and stuff that one buys. You can get a box of laterite and do just fine with it as the bottom layer.
Rex Grigg is offline   Reply With Quote