DIY PC Lighting - Help Pls
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > DIY

Old 08-02-2004, 03:21 PM   #1
AussieTanker
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Question

DIY PC Lighting - Help Pls

hi all ...

i am finally looking at getting some decent lighting into my tank ... i have imported the ge 9325k 55w power compacts and the reflectors from the ah supply kit from the usa .... a friend is going to take out the 2 X 20w strip fluoros that came in the hard "plastic" tank hood and insert the ge 55w cf and reflectors....

1. will it be necessary to wire in small fans to cool it ... and if so ... are computer fans ok?

2. where can i find a wiring diagram to connect all this up ... including the fans if needed ( i have done a search on this site but couldnt find wiring diagrams for power compacts ... only for strip lights and "overdriving").... we really need something that is simple to follow ... with step by step instructions ...... i appreciate that any diy work is always at the "doers"risk ... and it is my intent to have the wiring checked by an electrician after all the work is done just to make sure that its safe!

3. as i understand it .. all that is needed are the reflectors, the lights, the straight 4 pin end plugs , an appropriate rated electronic ballast, a lead with an appropriate wall plug ( to plug into the power plug on the wall ) and on/off switch and a bit of wire to connect it all together..... am i correct with this ???

4. do the power compacts need a "starter " like a strip fluoro... and assuming that the ballast is correct is there any problem with the lights being made in usa but being used here in australia where we have 240v power .... ie is a transformer needed for this set up ..

any help is greatly appreciated..... pls somebody reply

thanks and kind regards
aussietanker
33 US G (125L) ------ Aqua-One 620 Tall - L: 24" (60cm), W: 14" (36cm), D: 24" (60cm) ; Modified Hood with 2 x GE 55W 21" AquaRays (9325 K) under AH Supply Reflectors; Fluval 304 Canister Filter;Substrate = 2" JBL AquaBasis Plus nutrient ground cover + 2" of 50% mix of Flourite & Onxy Sand ; JBL ProFlora Pressurized CO2 + REXX DIY CO2 Reactor; Hydor 300W Inline Heater @ 26C/79F;Fish = 2 x SAE; 2 x Clown Loaches; 15 x Cardinal Tetras; 2 x Orange Angels
AussieTanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2004, 05:19 PM   #2
fedge
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)

I thought they had instructions on thier site.... however.

I would pry cool the thing... in a plastic top(maybe), Find a mate with a good understanding of electronics to wire up a "wall-wart" and an old comp fan. I was thinking of doing that to one of my lights. The lamps are not really that HARD to do... contact the ah supply people they SHOULD be willing to help you out. I would think. Maybe someone else has a couple of links to help also.
Old 08-02-2004, 05:19 PM   #3
GulfCoastAquarian
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (6/100%)
Send a message via ICQ to GulfCoastAquarian Send a message via Yahoo to GulfCoastAquarian

1) Fans are nice. Especially in small light strips. They will extend bulb life and keep the water temps from swinging wildly.

2) Contactl Kim at AHSupply for a copy of their wiring diagrams. They are idiot-proof and I'm surprised they didn't come with your kit.

3) Sounds like you've covered everything.

4) You don't need a starter. The AHSupply kits have instant start electronic ballasts. As long as you got the correct 240V Fulham ballast with your kit, you won't need a transformer. The bulbs are the same for 120V or 240V, only the ballast changes.
Old 08-03-2004, 03:45 AM   #4
AussieTanker
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Thanks for the tips guys ... will see if i can track down the ah supply diagrams ...

regards
aussietanker
33 US G (125L) ------ Aqua-One 620 Tall - L: 24" (60cm), W: 14" (36cm), D: 24" (60cm) ; Modified Hood with 2 x GE 55W 21" AquaRays (9325 K) under AH Supply Reflectors; Fluval 304 Canister Filter;Substrate = 2" JBL AquaBasis Plus nutrient ground cover + 2" of 50% mix of Flourite & Onxy Sand ; JBL ProFlora Pressurized CO2 + REXX DIY CO2 Reactor; Hydor 300W Inline Heater @ 26C/79F;Fish = 2 x SAE; 2 x Clown Loaches; 15 x Cardinal Tetras; 2 x Orange Angels
AussieTanker is offline   Reply With Quote