I want to setup a tank re-filler tank thing ;)
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > DIY

Old 07-23-2004, 05:18 PM   #1
aychamo
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

I want to setup a tank re-filler tank thing ;)

Hey guys!

I want to setup a tank that would make refills very easy for me. I have a 55g, and when I do water changes I find that I always have to carry pitcher after pitcher of water to the tank. And then when I put it in, it's got chlorine so I have to add the de-chlorinator, which is bad for plants (right??).

I was thinking of putting a little 10g under my tank, and have that filled with water, and let it sit in there so the chlorine will leave the water (how does this happen??) and put a little pump in there to pump the water from the 10g into the 55g when I want it to.

Would this work? If so, which type of pump would you recommend?
aychamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-23-2004, 05:31 PM   #2
cich
Wannabe Guru

Send a message via MSN to cich

First, the chlorine leaves the water by evaporating into the air. Yes, chlorine gas is highly toxic/deadly, but it's in minute amounts.

I think it's a good idea, and people actually do this, so good idea!
Not sure what kind of pump to recomend, but when you're shopping, make sure the pump's "water column" value is high enough, if you can find it. It tells you how high it can pump water, and you want it to be strong enough to pump to your tank.

--cich
Old 07-23-2004, 05:56 PM   #3
gnatster
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)

Pump wise you'll want a smaller submersable pond type pump such as a Rio 8, Quiet One 800 or Mag 2. All of these will pump at least 5' vertically. Keep in mind that the pump intake will sit an inch or so off the bottom and once exposed to the air it will not move water, making you water change less then 10 gal. Powerheads in the same price range do not provide the pumping head you will need.

IMHO it would also be a good idea to run a small airpump with a bubbler to keep the water in the tank moving.

gnatster
gnatster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2004, 05:59 PM   #4
cich
Wannabe Guru

Send a message via MSN to cich

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnatster
IMHO it would also be a good idea to run a small airpump with a bubbler to keep the water in the tank moving.
With such a big volume of water, I would highly recommend it.

My powerhead actually came with a hose-adapter, so it is an option.

--cich
Old 07-23-2004, 06:54 PM   #5
putty
Planted Tank Enthusiast

10 gallons is a pretty small water change for a 55, maybe do a 20 gallon, then you can change about 40 percent of the water at a time.

Also, I don't believe dechlors harm plants, why not just go straight from the tap? Do you have to adjust water parameters prior to adding water to tank? If not, direct from tap is a viable solution IMO.
Old 07-23-2004, 07:06 PM   #6
sharkerbaby
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

hmmmm, now isn't this an intiguing idea.

I can't really help but thanks for posting this, it's got me thinking. I use a python so I fill directly from the sink. One of the things I worry about though is water parameter changes btw sink and tank. If I set up something like this, perhaps I could get the parameters (and temp) closer together.... thinking....thinking....

I would think a 10 would be fine for a 55 since really only a 10% change is recommended for your weekly routine.
sharkerbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2004, 08:30 PM   #7
putty
Planted Tank Enthusiast

For a planted tank, most people do 50 percent weely as part of their routine.
Old 07-23-2004, 09:16 PM   #8
sharkerbaby
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by putty
For a planted tank, most people do 50 percent weely as part of their routine.
really?? why?? I though maintenance including water changes amount was generally less once established.
sharkerbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2004, 12:26 AM   #9
ColinAnderson
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
Send a message via ICQ to ColinAnderson Send a message via AIM to ColinAnderson Send a message via MSN to ColinAnderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkerbaby
really?? why?? I though maintenance including water changes amount was generally less once established.
Well, it's completely up to you. If your tank is well established, you can go several weeks without a water change! I think it's just the fishlover's mentality (and I'm one of them) that like changing water one or more times per week. It just feels "fresher."
Eheim Pimp #50
--------------------------------------------------
110 liter heavily-planted
5lb Pressurized CO2
4.4 WPG PC 6700K
Eheim Classic 2215
--------------------------------------------------
ColinAnderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2004, 01:56 AM   #10
Buck
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (3/100%)

There really is no set rule for water changes but in a newer tank you do want the wc's to be at the least 30% but this depends alot on your bio-load too dont forget.
Unless you have drastic water parameters I would just use a python or similar hose and go direct from the tap. When I had chlorinated city water I would do 50% water changes with no ill effects to the fish or plants. I also used the de-chlorinaror with no harm or ill effects. To this day I dont know if it ever worked...LOL
Even with the extra tank you want to use "just" for doing water changes , dont forget , you will still need to use that pail to fill that tank and you will need to heat that extra tank if you decide to go that route....
I would just get a python and fill that extra tank with fish and plants instead
This hobby becomes a "job" if you have to use buckets and I allready have one of those and dont need another... LOL.... Its lucky for my fish I am able to use a python because without it I would probably consider another hobby.
Old 07-24-2004, 02:48 AM   #11
jart
Wannabe Guru

i still use buckets for draining the water as then i can use it to water house plants and the like. i built a diy python quite easily; i use it for filling the tank afterwards. as buck says i go directly from the tap as well.
jart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2004, 03:04 AM   #12
pufferfreak
Wannabe Guru

Send a message via MSN to pufferfreak Send a message via Yahoo to pufferfreak

I built a DIY python for 18$ with a 25ft hose. Since i have soft water (salt treated soft water) there is no need for the house plants thing.
pufferfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2004, 04:19 AM   #13
Overfloater
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (73/100%)

Most people do 50% water changes because it's a way to dilute any possible fertilizer overdoses. Water changes are always good anyway so there is no reason not to do one.

If you have chlorine in your water it will degass from the water naturally over time. If you have chloramine, you need to use a dechlorinator or it will never leave and it will kill your fish.

At my old house we had chlorine in the water and I did 50% wc's weekly
without adding a chlorine remover without problems. The fish even loved swimming through the new water. At my new house there is chloramine and I initially lost a few fish due to my sloppy practices. I now use a dechlorinater and all is well.
Old 07-24-2004, 06:16 PM   #14
anonapersona
Wannabe Guru

Default DIY hose for changes

I made a hose out of 1/2" clear vinyl tubing with a male hose repair connection on the sink end plus an adapter that mated the faucet threads (after you take the aerator screen off) to the hose threads. (Take the aerator to the hardware store to be sure you get the right adapter threads)

At the tank end I put a female hose repair connection, plus a hose shut off valve. That end has a 2 suction cup heater holder to hold it in the tank. This hose is about 75' long which can reach from one central bathroom sink to 5 different tanks in different rooms, as well as from each tank to a window. The 2 kitchen tanks are on separate hoses.

To drain a tank, I set the suction cup end in the tank at the 50% mark and stick the other end out a window after giving it one good suck to get the siphon started. Sometimes I close the top of the tank to help keep the hose in place and I go do something else as it drains. I might be trimming plants in that tank or another, I might clean a canister filter or wipe down tank walls. I might gravel vac that tank or another with a separate gravel cleaning thing into a bucket or out the window, depending on which tank it is.

When the siphon stops, I "chase" all the water out the window, then take that end to the bathroom and hook that end to the faucet and refill.

I stay with it to make sure temp is steady, for it is tricky in summer and winter as our pipes run through the uninsulated attic. Just stand there with your finger in stream of water entering the tank, you can tell and adjust as needed before the fish even notice. I add dechlorinator as the water starts filling.

The hose needs to be cared for properly for the 1/2" clear vinyl is not as strong as the Python tubing. You have to be careful as you roll it up so it does not kink. It's nearly impossible to get a kink out, once it does it kinks there easily and a kink will prevent the drain or refill.

Always drain all water out as you roll it up, I close the shutoff and catch taht last 1/4 cup before it runs onto the carpet. If you don't it gets nasty fast, it may need bleaching occasionally anyhow.

The Q tank has a separate siphon hose and when I refill it I attach the suction cups to the inside of the lid so it does not hang in the tank -- just incase the Q tank is sick I don't want to contaminate by using the hose.

The discus tank has it's own hoses and I do not share any equipment there. Eventually, each tank will have a separate hose, but I have been slow to accumulate them -- it is too hard to store all this stuff.
59G thickly planted tanks, rummey nose tetras, kuhlies
300G goldfish pond outside
anonapersona is offline   Reply With Quote