Canopy Weight
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > DIY

Old 07-18-2004, 12:49 AM   #1
Coltrain
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Canopy Weight

Howdy folks... I've been looking round past threads but I don't think I could find the info I was looking for. What is the maximum weight a canopy should be?? How much can the aquarium support, i guess that kinda depends on size well mines a 50g. I bought some 3/4 poplar in various size to construct the top. I couldn't find any 1/2" at home depot. Will this be too much for the tank to handle.. do I need side supports?? Ideas

My 50g Planted Aquarium
Coltrain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2004, 01:21 AM   #2
DARKPHREAK
Algae Grower

Well I overbuilt mine for the 75g. Its about 50 pounds with everything inside. As long as you dont drop it on the tank edge I dont think there would be a problem having something 40 or so pounds on a 50. Try and make it as light as possible so when you do move it around it wont be heavy. Locating the ballest outside/away from the canopy helps.
12 Eclipse
10 Marineland
6 Eclipse
DARKPHREAK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-18-2004, 01:32 AM   #3
Coltrain
Algae Grower

ya.. already debating taking back the 3/4" poplar and trying to find some 1/2" in the same size.. its only supports a couple balllast and reflectors... so doesn't need to be built nearly and strong as the stand. God forbid I ever drop that thing

My 50g Planted Aquarium
Old 07-18-2004, 01:41 AM   #4
Rikko
Algae Grower

Send a message via ICQ to Rikko Send a message via AIM to Rikko

I think it also depends on if the tank has a center brace or not. An unbraced tank will bulge out slightly (I just built a canopy for a 33 gallon and measured - 36" long and 12" deep and it bulged 1/4" at the center). That would (I expect) slightly destabilize the tank for putting a heavy load on top of it. If you put a very large load over it, you might consider putting some thin legs on the canopy to let it hover right over the tank.

Right now I'm making a canopy for a reef that *is* center braced. I expect the thing will weigh a good 100 pounds when all is said and done (lighting, wood, plus a 10 gallon refugium on top) and I don't expect any problems. I'll report back if something explodes.
Rikko is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-18-2004, 02:21 AM   #5
Coltrain
Algae Grower

alright.. well lets hope that never happens. My tank is centre braced so bulging shouldn't be a problem.

My 50g Planted Aquarium
Old 07-19-2004, 04:26 PM   #6
malkore
Planted Tank Guru

I use 1x8 poplar for all my canopies. never had an issue. make 100% sure you check the plank for bending/warping in advance. people (like me) who don't work with wood very often will really end up in a bad place if your wood's too warped.
Filstar XP2 PIMP #3
Visit my aquarium pages - see specs on my tanks, and photos of how they've evolved
malkore is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2004, 02:24 PM   #7
Coltrain
Algae Grower

Thanks all.. got the box built just need to screw it all together and attach the top. It fits the tank like a dream, that's why it pay to measure twice and cut once

My 50g Planted Aquarium
Old 07-21-2004, 04:54 PM   #8
Capt.
Planted Member

As long as your canopy isn't excessively heavy I think it should be fine. I have found that aquarium glass is quite thick and strong. The other day I accidentally dropped a wooden frame (made of 2x3's, 8 feet long) directly on my 35 gallon tank but everything seems fine.

Also have a pretty heavy wooden canopy on my 25 gallon, not a problem so far. It's made of 3/4" pine shelving cut into pieces.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.