How long does your scape last? Plus my new scape idea.
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Aquascaping

Old 02-07-2009, 09:50 PM   #1
Craigthor
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (188/100%)

How long does your scape last? Plus my new scape idea.

How long does everyone keep their scape for? My current scape has grown out about 75% but I got my new wood today. Really want to setup the new scape. I pretty much can see how the current scape will develope as it is pretty simple.

Here is the next scape plan.

The wood came from prototyp3. It is a tree stump. The way it is formed I will loose about 1/3rd of the swim room for the fish as the wood will come to the top and out of the tank slightly. It is slightly rounded so the out of water portion will be atlest an 1" from the sides with a larger planting area about 3" or so behind in the back right corner.

I plan on using Mini Pellia tied to the trunck of the tree to simulate moss/ fungi growing on the side of the trunk. My HM will be moved to the back right corner so as it grows it will sneak out the side of the trunk as if the trunk rotted away and the plants are growing from with in. HC will remain the carpet with much less carpet area do to the wood.

I would take pictures but the wife has the camera and is out for the nite for a buisness dinner.

I will probably add some Anubias Nana 'Petite' and 'Gold' towards the bottom of the stump.

Ideas/ Critiques?

Craig

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdwill View Post
"C'mon, they're just plants, man, no big deal -- try some"
Craigthor is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2009, 10:14 PM   #2
eyebeatbadgers
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (62/100%)
Send a message via AIM to eyebeatbadgers

My scapes last until I think of something that might look better. Right now, the ones I have are pretty much unchanged for the past 6-8 months, other than some slightly different plant species.
Old 02-08-2009, 01:37 AM   #3
lauraleellbp
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)

I try for scapes that I don't ever need to change... Other than the occasional plant swap if one starts failing or I decide I just want to try a different plant instead.

I'm also one of those people who finds a favorite dish at a restaraunt and never ever orders anything else.
Tampa Bay Aquarium Society - Next meeting Monday, Sept 8, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!
TBAS Annual Fish Auction - November 1st!!

lauraleellbp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 02:47 AM   #4
Craigthor
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (188/100%)

Just curious I will be setting up my tank with some driftwood. Not sure how much light will make it to the back of the wood as the tank light is centered over the tank.

Tank is an ADA Mini M with the Mini Solar.

Thinking about attaching the Anubias 'Petite' and 'Gold' behind the wood and letting the leaves hang out the side. Would this be a good spot?

I was originally going to put HM behind the wood but not knowing how much light will make it back there I need to watch what I put.

Here are some pictures of the wood in my AGA 5.5 which is 2" longer than the Mini M. The wood is now soaking again after being run through the dishwasher twice. I will be using HC as the main carpet plant and Mini Pellia up the trunk of the stump.

The wood will come off at a slight angle as to maximize swim space for the fish. I still wouldn't mind putting HM behind the wood to have it bush out the sides if you think it would work. Kind of like a rotting stump sometimes has plants growing out of it.

Craig

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdwill View Post
"C'mon, they're just plants, man, no big deal -- try some"
Craigthor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 09:32 PM   #5
SeaSerpant
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

Wow i love that piece of wood you have there, Thats the kind of think i want for my 120 but just bigger. I can see a pretty good picture of your aquarium in my mind and it's looking awesome.

SeaSerpant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 10:32 PM   #6
cah925
Fear the Swamp!

PTrader: (173/100%)

I like the idea of HM behind the wood, but I'm also worried about the amount of light available to the HM. I'm not familiar with the light fixture, but maybe you can place it on the left side somewhat toward the back. That may get enough light back there for the HM. All other plants sound great, can't wait to see this one grow.
cah925 is offline   Reply With Quote