help w/rocks
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Aquascaping

Old 02-01-2009, 07:13 PM   #1
oldpunk78
/)ಠ_ಠ(\

PTrader: (107/100%)

help w/rocks

i found these in the Oakland hills the day. then i thought, oh man, those would look sweet in a tank. pic:

the one i kinda cleaned up passed the vinegar test. i'm still a little suspect though. i'll have to get some of the right stuff to test it with...

anyway

they have a sandy feel to them. they have been weathering on top of a of a rock pile overlooking the bay area for who knows how long. i'll have to clean up the moss and stuff. (notice how the one is green.)

what do you guys think? any ideas of what this rock is?
oldpunk78 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2009, 07:49 PM   #2
tominator
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)

Oh man, it's been a while since I've had geology. But the only rock that I can remember having a sandy texture is sand-stone. Sandstone itself can be a conglomeration of several types of minerals that are cemented together. It tends to be composed of clay, calcite, and silica, all of which are fairly chemically inert. I believe the "vinegar test" really shows if the rock contains calcium carbonate, Ca CO3, which would up your KH. If you want to test for that use a HCl solution, I believe someone said that one of the API tests was a HCl solution. But I believe that most rocks that contain Ca CO3 are white in color, I also believe that sandstone, if that's what this is, contains almost exclusively sand, Silica Dioxide, which makes it just like putting sand in your tank.

They do look really cool though, especially the one on the right with all those fractures and such.
tominator is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2009, 07:55 PM   #3
tominator
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)

Oh yeah, here it is API Nitrate test bottle #1, in this thread

But since you posted in that thread several times I guess you probably know that, guess it could possibly help someone else reading.

Now that I think about it some, I guess it could also be siltstone, then it's be mostly clay, but the grain sizes are fairly large, so I'm going with sandstone.
tominator is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2009, 11:01 AM   #4
waterfaller1
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (70/100%)
Send a message via AIM to waterfaller1

I like the green, I would leave it. I also like the stone on the right. It looks like a butte from Arizona.
waterfaller1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2009, 04:50 PM   #5
metageologist
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

from what i can see through the alge the rocks on the right are a granite the black specs are biotite which is meta minerl which will be fine for a tank and in some ways can be benoficial for planted tanks being that it weathers easoly and will leach trace minerals into the water collum. i dont see any veighning on the rocks so they apear to lack any hydrothermaly deposited metals which are easoly soluble in h2o.

the rocks on the left apear to be the same or they could be a dirty graywackey which will have feldspar inclusions. which will be safe for aquarium use. agin this could be bennificial in that the feldspars can leach K into the water in addition to Na but at such low levels it would have no impact on silinity.

hope this helps
metageologist is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2009, 08:13 PM   #6
prototyp3
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (86/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by metageologist View Post
from what i can see through the alge the rocks on the right are a granite the black specs are biotite which is meta minerl which will be fine for a tank and in some ways can be benoficial for planted tanks being that it weathers easoly and will leach trace minerals into the water collum. i dont see any veighning on the rocks so they apear to lack any hydrothermaly deposited metals which are easoly soluble in h2o.

the rocks on the left apear to be the same or they could be a dirty graywackey which will have feldspar inclusions. which will be safe for aquarium use. agin this could be bennificial in that the feldspars can leach K into the water in addition to Na but at such low levels it would have no impact on silinity.

hope this helps
I'm going to start collecting rocks and posting pictures just to give you a work out. Thanks for the always educational read.
Old 02-08-2009, 10:36 PM   #7
BradH
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)

I think you should use these rocks as the focal point for your scape with lots of smaller rocks covered in moss or algae around it..... this is in response to your other thread about scaping.
BradH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2009, 11:07 PM   #8
metageologist
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by prototyp3 View Post
I'm going to start collecting rocks and posting pictures just to give you a work out. Thanks for the always educational read.
i look forward to this i dont get to use my knowlwge or rocks very much doing environmental geology since most gas stations are built on fill and i am usioly only worried about the water and how the soil influences the water table not what the bed rock is unless its close to the ground

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.