Kcmo - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > Missouri

Old 01-04-2009, 07:28 PM   #16
mas23

PTrader: (0/0%)

I was at both Blue ridge pets and Waldo Pets today to see what was available since I just recently moved back into the area and was very disappointed as to the state of the tanks and the selection of plants (which were non-existant) and fish. I haven't made it up to Miles of Exocitics but it seems like it will be my last hope for something local. I live in the Plaza/westport area and I guess that there used to be a fish store called Jerry's of Westport, but it is no longer. Is the internet all we are really reduced to here in the KC area? I remember when Waldo used to have a decent selection of plants and cichlids, but that was about 4-5 years ago. Nice to meet ya all!
mas23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2009, 03:30 AM   #17
danakin
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)

Was in KC this week due to a family medical situation. My mom actually brought me to Miles of Exotics (but wouldn't go in due to their reptile department having, well, reptiles, which she is phobic of).

They have a decent store, but my impression of their aquatics department was very "meh." For one, I counted at least three different non-aquatic plants being sold as aquatic (oh Borneo Fern, you are beautiful to me, but you will slowly rot and die in my tank). Their plant tanks are nice bowfronts with decent lighting, but holy mother of algae was it infested by BBA! They had some really good looking plants I wanted but man, that BBA pushed me away. A good 30% of the gravel was covered by it and the back wall looked like it was being grown intentionally as decor on it. I let the lady manning the fish room some ways to treat it with Excel/H2O2 and CO2 and prevent it (though I should talk, come back home from KC and my tank glass is riddled with GSA [forgot to have my buddy dose the tank while I was gone]), but she seemed very indifferent.

Decent selection of fish (including some nice arrowanas) but don't expect to be wowed if you have been to some top notch LFS before