Iwagumi - method question
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Aquascaping

Old 01-24-2009, 03:36 PM   #1
cdub1955
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

Iwagumi - method question

I just replanted a small 12 gallon nano-cube Iwagumi style. I was reading soemthing here, so I just drained the tank down to below the substrate in the front. I added some additional substrate in the back for an 'elevated look, it is about 4 - 5 inches higher than the foreground, and 'supported' by two large pagoda rocks. i am using Amazonian II, powder and normal.

I have a carpet of HC in the front lower foreground section, all the way up to the rocks. I have 4 leaf clover across the back and a few places where I threw in some micro swords, and some Glosso....just see how it goes. I plan to keep neons or cardinals in this tank.

I am injecting co2, running two 24 watt bulbs, on 6500K, and one 10000K.

Now here is the question. Should I go ahead and fill this up. i was thinking about trying to do this emersed, but because of the elevetated back, i am not sure how 'easy' this will be to keep it wet enough to support the growth there while the front HC is emersed. I have very good coverage in teh front, I would say 80% easy, so I already have a good carpet.

What is your advice, shoudl I just fill this up carefully get the CO2 running and let it break in, or should I try the emersed method? If I go with emersed, how long should I do this. At this point the only reason I can see for going emersed is to allow the root system to grow into the substrate to avoid it being dislodged....

Thanks,
Chris
cdub1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2009, 07:26 PM   #2
Left C
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (19/100%)

If you substrate is sloped in your 12 gallon nano-cube and you want to grow HC and some other plants emersed, couldn't you tilt your aquarium and prop it up in such a way that the water level will be basically level with the substrate? The aquarium wouldn't be very heavy and stressed at this point. Then, when you want to fill the aquarium with water, pull out the props.
EHEIM PIMP #164 Classic 2011, Classic 2213, Classic 2217, ECCO 2236, Pro II 2028, Liberty 2040, Liberty 2042
VICTOR PIMP #1 VTS253A-1993, VTS250B-580, VTS253D-320, HPT500-40-350-4M, SGT500-40-4F-DK
Left C is offline   Reply With Quote