Luckydud's 10 gallon critique please (pearling warning :) )
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks

Old 01-26-2009, 11:33 PM   #1
luckydud13
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)

Luckydud's 10 gallon critique please (pearling warning :) )

Tank regular 10 gallon
Diy co2 into filter
Flourite substrate
Aquariumfertalizers.com fertalizer once a day

Flora: Crypts, Java Moss, Wisteria, Riccia, and HM
Fauna: 4 dwarf puffers soon to be relocated to new tank, 3 neon tetras, adding more, and a couple oto's

I really would like some critiques and plan suggestions I am not happy with the layout, only with the riccia.

Don't laugh first tank

luckydud13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2009, 03:10 AM   #2
ben314z
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

now THAT is Riccia pr0n
ben314z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 03:17 AM   #3
ZooTycoonMaster
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (31/100%)

Wow that Riccia is awesome!
Eheim Pimp #341

ZooTycoonMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 03:21 AM   #4
Phoenix-cry
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

Damn! That riccia is insane!! I'd say this tank could use a little more orginization, maybe a touch of red?
Phoenix-cry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 03:45 AM   #5
merk1_99
Algae Grower

Far from a pro so take with a grain of salt. I would add some stems in the backround and get some small foreground going. The stemmies would hel soak up the nutrients from the new tank syndrome and help control possible algae outbreaks. I think marsilea minuta would look good and in scale in the foreground. I am really high on MM lately....
merk1_99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 04:07 AM   #6
Ugly Genius
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)

Very nice Riccia.

The hardscape is good. You've got a very natural-looking rock formation on the left. The Riccia on top of the moss gives a very interesting "explosion"-like quality that visually binds the two very different plants together. (It looks like a galaxy being born.)

What look are you going for? Is there a tank you've seen that you want to emulate? After all, this is your "painting" and rather than taking advice from all of us, you can show us what you want and we can give suggestion based on what you have and what you can do to achieve that look.

For a first tank, you show some pretty good instincts (except for the terra cotta pot -- that's got to go!), and I think with some work, you will have a tank you can be proud of.
Ugly Genius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 02:53 PM   #7
Phoenix-cry
Planted Tank Enthusiast

What's wrong with the terra cotta pot?
Old 01-27-2009, 03:38 PM   #8
Ugly Genius
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)

Actually, I should soften that statement a bit as a terra cotta pot in a planted tank is not in and of itself a no-no. I just happen to not care all that much for them as the man-made nature of them contrasts so starkly with the natural flow of a plant, rock, driftwood composition. I think I happen to be more of a purist when it comes to hardscapes, ya know.
Ugly Genius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 03:48 PM   #9
Phoenix-cry
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Ah, i see. Well you know nature is polluted by human stuff all the time....
Old 01-27-2009, 08:17 PM   #10
luckydud13
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)

Well actually it was for a pair of dwarf cichlids (rams) that I was going to get, but decided not to.

My inspirtaion isn't really anything to tell you the truth. I have always wanted to do an iguwami, but I'm saving that for my 5.5, might be a bit easier

I would like this to be a dutch small scale setup, no swords or any broad leaf plants, I want to make this tank look as big as possible with the use of small stems. I have a scarlet 'red' temple in the back, I recentyl trimmed it, so thats why its short. But I am not too sure on the plants along the sides, the crypt looking ones, they seem out of place to me.

I like the rock fizture myself, and the riccia (has java underneith) is actually growing on driftwood that is 'stuck' in between the pile of rocks with java moss (and algae) growing out of the rock fixture.

So basically I am looking for small colorful and hardy stem plants to make a wall along the back, then some low growing plants to bring up the middle, perhaps blyxa, then eventually I would like to try hc in this tank, but I thin that might throw off the ration on the size of plants, you dont want decent sized plants then this green plant that barely grows an inch. I think glosso would be more feasable and already have a little bit sprouting new growth.

So suggestions?
luckydud13 is offline   Reply With Quote