Nano tank lights?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks

Old 01-25-2009, 01:25 PM   #1
fishlvr
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

Nano tank lights?

I'm planning on going to Petsmart sometime this afternoon and was wondering if they had any decent lamps/lights I could use for a 2.5 gallon tank? I'm trying to get everything as cheap as I can, since I'm also trying to get enough money to get a car. BTW I'm new at this, so y'all will have to help me out on wattage and such. The only plants I've really been successful with are Elodea, Ludwigia, java moss, java fern, amazon frog bit, salvinia, and water hyacinth and lettuce (which were outside in a pond, so not really much growing as a result of my skills, just mother nature taking care of my plants for me).
fishlvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2009, 05:01 PM   #2
fishlvr
Algae Grower

Well I went to Petsmart and they had absolutely nothing. The only thing they had for tanks under 10 gallons was a heater. I guess I'm gonna have to get it from Foster & Smith.
Old 01-25-2009, 05:17 PM   #3
joy613
Planted Member

PTrader: (7/100%)

The cheapest way is to go to a thrift store find a desk lamp usually for under 5. Then go to wally world and get a mini fluorescent I think those are about 10 watt, these run under 6 usually. There is also home depot to get a desk lamp for under 30 usually. My aquariums are on a tight budget and that is what I do for small tanks up to 5.5 gallon.

I even got a big hex about 45 gallon with light and stand for under 50 at a thrift store. I spend most of my money and substrate, with all the talk about top soil I am considering that to save even more money.
joy613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 07:33 PM   #4
dmcentire
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Default Just a quick suggestion

On the smaller tanks, depending on your budget, I use the Tom's Aquatics mini lights, so far only available from one online store:

http://www.thatpetplace.com/pet/group/10977/product.web

I like them and they clip on nicely.

dmcentire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 10:02 PM   #5
fishlvr
Algae Grower

Ok thanks to both of you for your replies. I'm going to try to get the perch-light lamp but if I can't I'll probably end up just getting a desk lamp. How many watts do I need for a 2.5 gallon?
Old 01-25-2009, 10:17 PM   #6
hilikus16
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

The perch light has 13w max which is enough light to grow a good bit of plants but you can get the 27w home depot lamp for about the same price. That, or you could build your hood like i did and it cost me about $20 total. If you go the 27w route, you'll need co2 which I just found out is incredibly easy and cheap to do.

Be aware that if you get the 13w light you might want to upgrade later which will cost you more money in the long run- thats exactly what happened to me.

Oh and btw petco has a decent little 18w lamp in the reptile section. I bet if you replaced the bulbs it'd work well.
hilikus16 is offline   Reply With Quote