New to Anchorage
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > Alaska

Old 02-08-2007, 10:51 PM   #1
sonaps
Algae Grower

PTrader: (5/100%)

New to Anchorage

I just moved to Anchorage from Utah. Anyone here in the hobby? Iíve been to one place at the Searís Mall that had some plants, but they were in real poor condition. They did have a decent selection of fish though. Iíve priced some Co2 tanks too. They are about 3 times as expensive here as they were in SLC. The movers wouldnít take gas tanks of any kind. Too bad, now I have to drop a bunch of money on a used tank that I have to trade in every time.
sonaps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2009, 03:55 PM   #2
AlaskanCorydoras
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Lately the Reef's plants have been in fairly good condition. The plant tanks at the two Pet Cos are ok, and sometimes you can find good plants at the Petzoo down in south anchorage. (There's also a Pet Zoo in Wasilla, which might be closer to you.)

Looks like you moved to Angerage about the same time I did. ('course I moved down from Fairbanks. . .)
AlaskanCorydoras is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2009, 04:02 PM   #3
sonaps
Algae Grower

Welcome to the Planted Tank AlaskanCorydoras! Itís nice to see another Alaskan resident here. Iíd ask how you like living in a warmer city now, but itís not been all that warm here this weekend has it?

The Reef is hit or miss with plant quality. The owner has her own planted tank though, so at least there is an interest there.

We actually have a Pet Zoo right here in Eagle River. The plant selection is pretty sparse though. Iíve not really found much around town that Iíve been that impressed with. I ended up getting all my plants from members here in the Swap n Shop forum.

What plants are you keeping right now? Iíve got a mix of high and low light plants in my tank that are all doing real well. I just did a huge trim on Saturday and threw out a bunch of plants. But Iíll have more in a few weeks. If you need any plants let me know. Iíd be happy to give you some, or trade with you if you have anything interesting.
Old 01-15-2009, 07:00 AM   #4
AlaskanCorydoras
Algae Grower

Nothing interesting yet, I'm affraid. Currently I'm growing Wisteria, corkscrew vals, and Java Fern. I received my 90 gallon tank today (Special ordered it through PetCo. . . free shipping!) and I'll be spending the next couple days aquascaping it before I put plants and water in. Going to be putting vals and wisteria in the back, java fern in the mids, and hopefully (If Terrie can get some) dwarf baby's tears as all over ground cover.
Old 01-20-2009, 11:24 PM   #5
sonaps
Algae Grower

How did the aquascaping go? Since youíre planning to use HC (Dwarf Baby Tears) I assume youíll be running high light and pressurized CO2. Thatís what Iím running. I had a bunch of HC a few weeks ago, but I tore most of it up and replanted. Iíll have more in a few months if you still need it.
Old 01-23-2009, 12:35 PM   #6
AlaskanCorydoras
Algae Grower

High light for certain. At the moment I'm trying to avoid adding CO2 to the tank, but if it becomes necisary, perhaps after I get my tax return.
Old 01-23-2009, 06:28 PM   #7
sonaps
Algae Grower

High light with no CO2 could become a real algae breading ground. Iíve never tried to grow HC without CO2, but Iíve read that itís a must for this plant.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.