15 Gallon fish selection...
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 01-23-2009, 03:54 PM   #1
otocat

PTrader: (0/0%)
Unhappy

15 Gallon fish selection...

So I'm planning to get a 15 gallon tank and I've already have the plants and 'scape figured out but I'm having trouble with coming up with a varied selection of fish that has some good color but are also different looking, but most importantly compatible.

Plus, is the "inch of fish per gallon" flexible?

I'm thinking of putting:

a hand full of Lampeyed Panchex for the upper area

3 Threadfin Rainbows for the middle and

either a Kuhlii loach or 2 Zebra Pleco.

Does anyone know if this is doable or is there a better fish selection for this size of tank?
otocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2009, 04:09 PM   #2
Wilder
Algae Grower

PTrader: (9/100%)

Threadfins prefer being in a larger group -- five or more -- and they need tankmates that are sedate. Also, if there is any question on whether your other fish choice would nip fins, do not combine them. I speak from experience here after my threadfins were decimated within hours. A terribly sad and costly mistake on my part.

I think khuli loaches prefer company, too? I can't recall. Plecos make lots of poop. All over. You'll want to be prepare for that.

I've always read how a tank looks better with a larger group of one type of fish, rather than several smaller schools, and mostly I agree. That's a matter of personal preference overall though.

A lot of tanks I've seen seem to push the stocking guidelines, and goodness knows I've done it myself -- but I have very good filtration, heavy plant load, and do regular water changes. I also don't stock to the point the fish look crowded in the tank. So you can be "flexible," as long as you're careful about your upkeep and stocking -- ten goldfish in a 15 gallon tank would be a disgusting swamp before too long, but ten tetras, say, would be just fine.
Wilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 05:43 PM   #3
lauraleellbp
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)

Welcome to TPT!

I'd stick with just one species of schooling fish, and then a bottom dweller. A few khulis would be fine.

IMO that tank isn't big enough for plecos, though, and have you priced out Zebra Plecos?

The "inch per gallon" rule has a lot of flaws- but if you stick with only fish species that max out at 1-2" total adult length, it's a fairly useful guideline.
Tampa Bay Aquarium Society - Next meeting Monday, Sept 8, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!
TBAS Annual Fish Auction - November 1st!!

lauraleellbp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
15gl, compatible, fish, selection