29 gal. Tips?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Aquascaping

Old 12-20-2008, 01:42 AM   #1
brohawk
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (32/100%)

29 gal. Tips?

Never mind the mass of floating hairgrass/riccia/HC. It'll get planted later this week. So what do you guys think? Maybe a little more BBA on the left side, or up front?

Seriously though, my CO2 tank ran out a few weeks ago, and left me w/ the starts of this, before I discovered it/got a refill. It has not gone away as quickly as my previous bouts w/ BBA, but I'm trying to be patient. CO2's as high as I can get it, w/ surface agitation, but still stressing/to the point of killing an amano shrimp here and there. Anyway, BBA was not entirely the point of my post.

The chain sword keeps wanting to grow tall. Not sure if anyone has dealt w/ this? I'm assuming my light's a bit low. But I'll try to trim it down again, as aesthetically as possible. The few stems are due for a prune as well, I know. And I'm still waiting for the vals and HC to recover after all the Excel/H2O2 treatments I've been giving them. Other than that, any suggestions on new/other plants, wood/rock placement tweaks? Sorry about the pic quality.
brohawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2008, 06:53 PM   #2
sewingalot
I ♥ BBA!

PTrader: (112/100%)

Have you thought about adding a dark background? I think it would really add dimension to the hard scape.
Old 12-22-2008, 12:13 AM   #3
brohawk
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I haven't figured out how to do that yet. I have a hood, so the lily pipes have to be suctioned on to the back glass. I'll look for some opaque as possible glass tint next time I'm at home depot though, as I don't think it'd be a good idea to spray paint a running tank.
Old 12-22-2008, 12:18 AM   #4
Green Leaf Aquariums
Sponsor

PTrader: (86/100%)

I could not tell if there were much in the way of mid ground or foreground plants.
Or are they just beginning to grow?

-Orlando
Green Leaf Aquariums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 12:31 AM   #5
brohawk
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I had to yank up all the HC as it was covered in BBA, and excel/H2O2 killed both the plant and algae. I've replanted what I had left. I'll plant more soon, when it's time to trim the HC that's in my nano. Micro sword is planted on the right in front of the vals, but is barely growing, and chain sword's on the left, and is growing too much. If I get the micro sword to grow better, should I maybe replace the chain sword w/ it?
Old 12-22-2008, 12:36 AM   #6
Green Leaf Aquariums
Sponsor

PTrader: (86/100%)

Chainsword is on the front left corner? If yes, them I would replace it with a smaller growing plant.

-O
Green Leaf Aquariums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 02:10 AM   #7
sewingalot
I ♥ BBA!

PTrader: (112/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by brohawk View Post
I haven't figured out how to do that yet. I have a hood, so the lily pipes have to be suctioned on to the back glass. I'll look for some opaque as possible glass tint next time I'm at home depot though, as I don't think it'd be a good idea to spray paint a running tank.
Imeridian discussed this a while back somewhere....he could probably help out a lot. He used rustoleum black paint and a small roller. Spray paint!
Old 01-02-2009, 01:08 PM   #8
its_an_obsession
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

if u want to paint the tank. i painted my 40 after it was already up and running. i just got a small brush and some oil based paint and painted it on. it needed a few layers before you couldnt see through it.
its_an_obsession is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 06:07 AM   #9
ben314z
Algae Grower

More branchy hardscape in the middle/off-center would be great!
ben314z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 07:52 AM   #10
brion0
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)

If you look at both sides of your tank they all most miror each other. Id do some thing to change this.
brion0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 10:36 AM   #11
amano101
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)

i'm a new at this so don't hate me. the tall plants in the front left and right seem to make the tank seem a lot smaller than it is and they take focus away from the rest of your tank. like ben says, i think some thin branchy driftwood in the golden spot would be nice and not have the rocks spread out so evenly. all this is just personal preference and again, i'm a noob, so i don't know much. i do like your tank though! happy scaping.
amano101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 08:35 PM   #12
Bowles42
Planted Member

PTrader: (36/100%)

In my experience chain sword is too explosive to control. The more light I put on it, the taller and faster it grew. I yanked mine out about a month ago. Mine was sending out new runners everyday.

Also it looks like your substrate doesn't have much of a slope to it. I find that sloping your substrate will substantially increase the percieved depth of your aquarium.

Unrelated to your aquascape, but you might want to check the white balance setting on your camera. It looks a little too green to me.

It looks like it has potential, good luck.
Old 01-15-2009, 05:33 PM   #13
malaybiswas
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (40/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to malaybiswas

IMO move the chain swords to the 2 rear corners so that they don't hide the DW and rocks over time. Once your HC starts growing, you will will have the front/mid grounds covered easily and they will contrast nicely with the wood and rocks.
Old 01-16-2009, 02:08 AM   #14
tropicana
Algae Grower

get a background and fill the middle with some realy fast growing plant like that hygro w.e its called..
tropicana is offline   Reply With Quote