Finnex 4 - Algae, help! - Page 3
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks

Old 12-30-2008, 04:04 PM   #31
Phoenix-cry
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

That could work, how many gallons? Does it have seams? Don't put too much pressure on the seams, tanks aren't built to be on a tilt.

When I moved my 90 gallon I kept 6 inches of water so I could keep the fish in it...BAD IDEA!! Giggle. two months later one of the seams burst in the middle of the night from the stress of the move. Amazingly all the fish lived! I had enough other tanks to house the fish until I could fix the tank.
Phoenix-cry is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2008, 05:19 PM   #32
hilikus16
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix-cry View Post
That could work, how many gallons? Does it have seams? Don't put too much pressure on the seams, tanks aren't built to be on a tilt.

When I moved my 90 gallon I kept 6 inches of water so I could keep the fish in it...BAD IDEA!! Giggle. two months later one of the seams burst in the middle of the night from the stress of the move. Amazingly all the fish lived! I had enough other tanks to house the fish until I could fix the tank.
It's just your standard 5.5g AGA so i think it will be fine. It'll only have about a gallon in it during the move...just enough to keep the plants content.
hilikus16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 05:20 PM   #33
merk1_99
Algae Grower

Can you get a better pic of how you have your lighting? I have the same tank and was thinking of doing the same thing, but didn't know how it would work. Currently have the stock light and a NO florescent I had laying around over the tank.

I like the zoomed filter I am thinking of getting one as well so I will be following your thread to see how it performs.

Finnex 4's rock. I have my second one on the way.....
merk1_99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 05:29 PM   #34
jargonchipmunk
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)

I moved my 20H planted with the hairgrass carpet still planted. (I pulled the taller stems) Nothing moved. I sucked out all the water I could (there was still a bit above the substrate though) I think what helped me is I have a piece of driftwood that runs 75% of the length of the tank horizontally and the bottom portion of the wood is half-buried in the substrate. This most likely held the upper portion in the back in place and didn't allow it to move forward covering the hairgrass. So I guess if you didn't have anything planted in the middle you could put some sort of temporary rockwall in the tank in the middle to stop the substrate from moving too much.

also, I do like your new DW setup. I think some flame moss on the wood would look great!
jargonchipmunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 06:05 PM   #35
btmarquis
Algae Grower

Merk1 99- I have this tank and have a Current 18W x 2 that fits perfectly on it.

btmarquis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 06:06 PM   #36
Phoenix-cry
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Very nice!
Phoenix-cry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 07:28 PM   #37
merk1_99
Algae Grower

It looks sharp!
merk1_99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 06:14 PM   #38
pbfreakon
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

The tank is falling prey to it's first algae bloom, here's what I'm dealing with:

It looks to me like bga, but it's kind of brownish too. Any advice on this stuff? I'm thinking a blackout would be beneficial.
pbfreakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 09:28 PM   #39
brt_p
Algae Grower

diatom maybe?..
put about 10-15 RCS, WC, then blackout for 3 days..
brt_p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 02:57 PM   #40
Cocobid
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (15/100%)

Tank is looking good.
I bought the Zoo Med 501 and is working great. The only wish list for the filter is would like to adjust the flow for a little less and the fittings are not real snug. Any suggestions! It seems like the perfect little canister for small to 15G tanks. Where did you mount your spray bar. Oh since where ours is located it does not have room at the back to hold the filter so I just ordered the holder for it. Have a beautiful orange bungee cord holding it on in the meantime. Glad I ran into your thread to see you running this little guy.
Keep the pics coming
Beyond that...just gave up counting vessels
2232~~Eheim Pimp Club#261
Cocobid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 03:09 PM   #41
pbfreakon
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

I cut both the spray bar and intake a few I inches short, then mounted them vertically next to one another the way you would arrange lillies. Flow is even throughout, all the glosso leaves sway gently no matter where. I'm thinking it's a perfect fit for the 4 gallon, though maybe too little if it were more densely planted.
pbfreakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 03:35 PM   #42
Cocobid
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (15/100%)

Looking at your Pics that was my guess on mounting. So much nicer than a HOB, just real clean. Maybe this is the beginning of the 501 revolution LOL
Beyond that...just gave up counting vessels
2232~~Eheim Pimp Club#261
Cocobid is offline   Reply With Quote