How to aquascape - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Aquascaping

Old 12-20-2008, 01:47 AM   #16
A Hill
Sponsor

PTrader: (90/100%)
Send a message via AIM to A Hill

I think as people age in the hobby they tend to prefer simple aquascapes that give the biggest punch. With that said there are two classic aquascaping styles.

Dutch, your nicely arranged stems and then foreground plants, no intermixing.

"Natural" or "ADA" style, nature style aquariums which allow much more plant mingling with each other.

Each can be acheived with many or only a few plant species.

It really comes down to the look and feel you're trying to achieve, and the experience level of the aquascaper.

-Andrew

Rumford Aquatic's Tools selection. Best prices anywhere. Guaranteed! Every purchase supports me an entrepreneur studying at ASU.
A Hill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-20-2008, 01:56 AM   #17
cah925
Fear the Swamp!

PTrader: (173/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
This is a difficult question to answer. Its kinda like describing a haircut over the phone...

Your best bet would be to study as many aquascapes and there plants and try to mimic them.
You will also need to know which plants have certain demands such as high light, low light etc. There is plenty to read though here on PTF, the plant finder will help you to ID plants and give you a feel of what is what in plant species.
Most of all just have fun doing it, there is nothing wrong with trial and error.

Regards, Orlando
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christine T View Post
I just started my first planted tank in Sept of this year. What I found, was that being new to the hobby, I had very little knowledge of how things were going to look when they grew in. I ended up taking out a lot, adding a lot, taking out a whole lot, adding a little here, a little there, some more of that over here...etc.

I think that once you get a feel for how certain plants grow, and what they will look like when mature, it's probably easier to plan an aquascape. Anyone can plan that they want this or that here or there, but what matters is what it ultimately looks like (to you that is )
I agree with both these comments. I spent some time just growing plants to learn what I can and cannot grow based on the conditions I have in my tanks. Now that I have a better feel for it, I am trying to actually scape. I have 1 tank in particular that I am very pleased with, another 2 that are coming along but still need a little work.
cah925 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2008, 01:59 AM   #18
EdTheEdge
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JL15219 View Post
What is the best way to aquascape using 3 to 4 different species of plants or using many? I guess what I am trying to ask is which way looks better...I hope this is clear
Try then try again... then you will want to try again... which will eventually lead to more trying.

It's the only way really.
Old 12-20-2008, 02:18 AM   #19
JL15219
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (23/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdTheEdge View Post
Try then try again... then you will want to try again... which will eventually lead to more trying.

It's the only way really.
LOL Yeah well I basically buy every plant that I think I maybe able to grow
Old 12-22-2008, 05:23 AM   #20
bbaker
Algae Grower

PTrader: (6/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cah925 View Post
I agree with both these comments. I spent some time just growing plants to learn what I can and cannot grow based on the conditions I have in my tanks. Now that I have a better feel for it, I am trying to actually scape. I have 1 tank in particular that I am very pleased with, another 2 that are coming along but still need a little work.
You and me, both. I'm about to tear down my first tank, which was an "everything omelette." Not the best 'scape, but no regrets. It's not a bad idea to do that with a first tank - it's fun and you learn a lot that you can't get from a forum... and as long as you continue to make your monthly payments on all the plants it helps build your credit rating, too!
bbaker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2008, 11:56 PM   #21
maddyfish
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

I am sort of a planted tank outsider, but I will add my thoughts. Find some actual underwater pictures and replicate them. Or better yet, go out snorkeling and look around on your own.
I have put together very few planted tanks that were actually meant to look good, most of my planted tanks are purely to service breeding livebearers, but when/if I put together an actual show tank planted tank, it will be in this manner.
I have freshwater snorkled all across FLorida and Kentucky and I have NEVER seen anything underwater that looks like one of those Japanese style planted show tanks. Why use natural life to build a completely un-natural, contrived aquascape? Might as well use a plastic diver and treasure chest.
Old 01-09-2009, 06:11 AM   #22
sewingalot
I ♥ BBA!

PTrader: (112/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddyfish View Post
I am sort of a planted tank outsider, but I will add my thoughts. Find some actual underwater pictures and replicate them. Or better yet, go out snorkeling and look around on your own.
I have put together very few planted tanks that were actually meant to look good, most of my planted tanks are purely to service breeding livebearers, but when/if I put together an actual show tank planted tank, it will be in this manner.
I have freshwater snorkled all across FLorida and Kentucky and I have NEVER seen anything underwater that looks like one of those Japanese style planted show tanks. Why use natural life to build a completely un-natural, contrived aquascape? Might as well use a plastic diver and treasure chest.
This is actually an excellent idea to get a great planted scape.
Old 01-09-2009, 08:31 PM   #23
malaybiswas
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (40/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to malaybiswas

IMO, both can be done with the right plan and a few guidelines. And both can be beautiful if properly done and maintained. I like both ways.

If you want to keep it simple with 2-3 varieties, try to choose shorter fore/mid ground type plants to cover most of the space. If you want to add taller plants, use them as accents in corners, center or the background. With fewer species, if most of the space is covered with tall plants, it gives very less space for the fishes to move, hampers circulation of water as well as light availability in all areas of the tank.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.