Healthy tank needs aquascaping help!
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Aquascaping

Old 12-30-2008, 03:44 AM   #1
Gr8_Laker

PTrader: (0/0%)

Healthy tank needs aquascaping help!

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/yo...o=view&id=1148

Here is my tank - what next? For the moment, I seem to have found an equilibrium where the plants, shrimp and fish are happy and the algae are in check.

Although I'm grateful for that, I am finding that healthy is starting to verge on messy and I'm not sure how to fix my aquascape while keeping its health. Pruning? Moving plants around? Something else?

Any advice or suggestions are appreciated!

Gr8 Laker
Gr8_Laker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2008, 01:41 AM   #2
KDahlin
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (31/100%)

The picture is kind of blurry so it's hard to evaluate. Some rocks and/or driftwood would be nice.

"We are living on this planet as if we have another one to go to". T. Swearingen
KDahlin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2008, 09:21 PM   #3
Gr8_Laker

I will work on my photography too! I have uploaded a new main photo to my profile - I used a better camera but it still may have focused on the glass.
Good suggestion for rocks - I had some in there a few months ago but in my inexperience they became algae covered so it was just easier to replace them with plants!
Will the old algae have died, or should I soak in h202 solution and rinse thoroughly to be on the safe side?
Old 01-07-2009, 11:32 PM   #4
Lee
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)

you need some open space. try to plant the plants so they point towards the open space, accenting it.
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2009, 12:05 AM   #5
Gr8_Laker

Default Thanks for advice - here is the new version - improved??

Thanks for the tips! I have managed to rescape a few days ago based on the first suggestion and I think I captured the second as well. What do you think?? These leaves the "semicircle" of gravel in the foreground that I will work on filling in a little more with the stargrass/pygmy chain swords.

I'm sort of happy with this, although the hygros (sunset, wisteria) are still messy - great colour but they seem to grow horizontally and drop roots all over the place. What a mess. The lanceleaf hygro doesn't seem to do much at all. I am not overly impressed with these plants - is there something I'm (not?) doing or are these just not the plants for me? I was hoping they would be more tidy and shrubby like the rotala. Advice?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_3504.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	120.6 KB
ID:	11421  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.