The Planted Tank Forum banner

beardedcrow's 120 wide

2K views 17 replies 5 participants last post by  BeardedCrow81 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello guys,
Simple 120 gallon that was meant for reef, is being used for freshwater and slowly (and hopefully) into a beautiful planted.

Update: 3/31/15

1st mistake of many, filling her up before anything was added.

Sellers pic:

The lighting: 500 watt MH, switched from 14k to 10k.

Growing some succulents inside canopy...

Floating some plants until gravel depth is deep enough

See less See more
#3 ·
So yesterday I added another 40 lbs of black gravel, and will probably be adding another 40 later this week when I can find some time.

Will be plc in an order for some anubias nanos, really love how they look, I think they will be the dominating plant in my tank.

Have some wood soaking in a unconnected sump, with a submersible carbon filter, it'll be a while before the wood is ready, water is rich of tea colors.

#5 ·
Check out the light spectrum on the bulbs. Mostly >= 10,000k. Not really the best choice for plants and more intended for reef tanks, that's why it's so blue.
I would recommend switching to a 5000-7000k spectrum bulb.

#7 ·
10000K is fine for growing plants so long as there is some red in its spectrum but your platy isn't showing her true color, that's for sure. If you prefer a blue tank then keep the 10000K bulbs. I really liked ADA's 8000K HQI but that is a DE, not a SE bulb.

How are you planning to keep algae from developing? Most I ever ran was 450 watts 16" over an 8' tank, you are doing double that. I like Anubias a lot too but they don't need a lot of light, perhaps you could cultivate light loving stems and/or floating plants that would dim the light enough that Anubias wouldn't get covered in GSA?

#9 ·
Update, found a dealer for ecoxotic e series near my home. Going on saturday to pick up. Selling the halides.

Hopefully by sunday I'll have a normal looking tank haha.

3 more anubias nanos on the way, and a bunch of lilies soaking in the sump waiting for spouts.

Bump:

Personally I love the look of anubias and crypts, i never hd any luck with thin plants, maybe now that I have more budget and help (this awesome forum), i can slowly learn to grow the harder aquarium plants. I have never successfully grown any carpeting plants, would the ecoxotic be able to grow carpet plants without co2? I barely know what ferts to use, still haven't gotten any ferts...

#8 ·
Well, the 500 watt metal halides are built into the canopy, two 250 watt bulbs are needed, otherwise only one side will be lit.

My canister has a UV built in at 9 watts, but will add another 24 watt external or internal,.

Also, I have a lot of lilies waiting to bloom, hopefully that could deflect a lot of light going into the tank.

I was thinking of buying a 6700 strip and using timer to grow lights while I'm at work, and only use the 10k metal halides for viewing...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.