Sick Cories.. please help
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 12-19-2008, 08:57 PM   #1
klumsyninja
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

Sick Cories.. please help

One of my Panda Cories was not looking so hot, panting at the bottom of the tank and not responding to stimulation (tapping glass or feeding).

On his face, his Barbels were gone. A white stump remained remained, not sure if it was a fungus or not. He was pale in color and looked to be gasping.

The next morning he was dead in that spot. I removed him and disposed of him without taking a close look (should've looked close at his face to see if it looked fungal)

Anyways I have 7 more of them and they all live in my 90G planted. (EcoComplete substrate, EI dosing w 50% weekly wc's, C02 etc)

There is another Corie now in the same condition only he isn't missing his barbles but he's panting and not responding. There looks like there might be a white spot where his barbels attach to his face.

There's no way I can get them all out of there as its a big jungle in there and they scatter when I stick my arm in.

I could get the sick guy out, but I don't have a running QT/HT. I do have a 2.5 that I could fill with tank water but I don't have any filters for it. I have some medicines here too if need be.

Any Ideas of what it might be and what to do?
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2008, 09:39 PM   #2
zzyzx85
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (27/100%)

What are your water conditions? High nitrates are often the culprit for missing barbels.

What are your other tank inhabitants?
EHFIPIMP #324: 2x 2215 - Victor/dual-stage Pimp #15: VTS253A
zzyzx85 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 10:10 PM   #3
klumsyninja
Planted Member

The tank has some oto's, some cherry RCS, some tetras, and a big pleco.. not too many fish actually.. I'll test the water and get back to you on the levels
Old 12-19-2008, 10:50 PM   #4
klumsyninja
Planted Member

Temp is 80
Ammonia and Nitrite are at zero
Nitrates look to be at about 12-15 ish using an API kit and it shows 10 then 20 and its less than half between them, color wise.

My 50% WC is due tomorrow according to my EI schedule.. I'll vac that bottom meticulously just incase.

Anyone encounter this before or sound familiar?
Old 12-20-2008, 12:17 AM   #5
adamprice271
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
Send a message via AIM to adamprice271

I had the same thing happen with one of my Paleatus(sp) cories.One day, i noticed his barbs gone, and mouth looked weird. He died shortly after I noticed it, but none of the others got anything, so I don't know what happened. The tank had sand, and eco complete in it as well.

Adam
125g semi planted. 2 silver angels, 14 silver tips, 16 white fin ornatus tetras, pair of Nicaraguense, pair of nototus severums, trio of firemouth cichlids. 2 FX5s, 1 1500gph circ pump, 2 48" LED lighs, and a HUGE piece of driftwood.

650g fish room. 15 30g tanks, 150g sump.
adamprice271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 11:28 AM   #6
OldMan
Algae Grower

I can't relate it to the barbel issue but 80F is over the top for a panda cory. Cories in general run a little cooler than most of our other tropicals and the panda maximum is only 77. It might not get them the first day but sooner or later the hot water catches up with them. Warm water is also lower in oxygen than cooler water which could help explain the lethargic aspect of your symptoms.
Filstar fan #147
OldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 04:35 PM   #7
klumsyninja
Planted Member

It looks like everyones okay right now, going to do my WC later and I'll get down and dirty in there and clean it really well.

I dropped the heaters down to 77.

One thing I noticed in there yesterday while watching it so closely was that there is some bba forming.. not good.

Thanks for all your help.