Help on retrofitting strip light with 55 watt PCs
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Lighting

Old 11-12-2002, 02:07 PM   #1
NFish
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Location: Colorado, USA, North America, Planet Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

Has anyone retrofitted a strip light with any of the bright kits from http://ahsupply.com ? I have a two x 55 watt kit, and want to retrofit my 48" strip light for a 55 gallon tank. I don't think the reflectors will fit in the strip light. Has anyone had any experience on retrofitting a strip light that they could tell me how to do it?

Thanks
NFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2002, 10:09 PM   #2
m.lemay
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

I did that exact retrofit to my 48" single bulb strip light. The reflector fits exactly into the strip light. Instead of putting the ballast inside the plastic fixture it must be mounted to the backside or the top of the fixture. I mounted mine to the back. You can't see it unless you look around the back of the fixture. They supply you with all the hardware to do this retrofit, If you go to the ahsupply site there are some pictures of a 24" model modified this way. If you need more info, let me know. Its pretty straight forward. Let me know how you make out. Good luck!
m.lemay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2002, 02:40 PM   #3
NFish
Planted Member

Location: Colorado, USA, North America, Planet Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

Thanks, I already did it yesterday before I read your post. You are right, it fits exactly in there. I mounted the ballast on the back of the strip light. What di you do as far as all the heat produced from the PCs? I just drilled a bunch of holes in the back of the strip aobut 1 1/2 inch apart. Do you think That is OK? Or do I need to do something else? I had it on for several hours yesterday, and it got hot, but not that hot.
NFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2002, 02:51 PM   #4
GulfCoastAquarian
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (6/100%)
Send a message via ICQ to GulfCoastAquarian Send a message via Yahoo to GulfCoastAquarian

Raising the strip off the glass will go a long way towards getting air inside there. If it can crack just a half inch, that will move more air than a whole lot of holes.

My PC bulbs ended up dying prematurely from heat damage. The glass tubes completely seperated from the ceramic base. I searched for "120vac fan" on Ebay and found a bunch for less than $5. Now they are hardly warmer than room temperature.
Old 03-20-2003, 08:22 PM   #5
Schala
Algae Grower

I am installing a 55watt kit into my 24" light strip. The only problem I have is mounting the ballast. Since the plastic is thin, do I need to get caps for the screws? How did everyone else deal with the screws?

If my hood was wooden, it would be no problem. :?
Schala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2003, 08:33 PM   #6
anonapersona
Wannabe Guru

I recieved 1" vent covers in my kit, fit a drill with the right bit and drill a hole into eeach end of the strip, pop the round vent covers in. Nice and neat.
anonapersona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2003, 09:46 PM   #7
m.lemay
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

You can predrill the screw holes in the plastic of the strip light. Drill the holes to the inside diameter of the screw thread and then just screw it in.

I did this retrofit a while back. If you have more questions send me a PM or ask here.

Marcel
FILSTAR Pimp #2

75 gal heavily planted,50/50 Black beauty,Eco-complete substrate, Pressurised CO2 with solenoid, ph controller, AB Reactor 1000, 330 watts 9325K GE PC lighting,Ehiem Liquidoser, 2-Filstar xp3 canisters.
m.lemay is offline   Reply With Quote