Orchids
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion > Riparium/Terrarium/Vivarium

Old 06-18-2004, 11:29 PM   #1
Wheat
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Orchids

I am putting a 175 watt 5500k MH on my vivarium. I was wondering if anyone could tell me about how far from the bulb i should place my orchids Im trying to get them to flower. I believe they are oncidiums.
Wheat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2004, 01:22 AM   #2
louisxyz
Algae Grower

If it is an oncidium, you can go as close as 2 feet, after a few weeks, if the leaves dont get brownish, you could move it a bit closer.

Three thing to remember to get those orchid to flower, 1) night temp should be colder than day, I guess with light out at night in a vivarium, it should be enough. 2) you need good vent because of the vivarium, check for rot at base of the plant. 3) From my experience, did'nt have much success with MH lighting alone for flowering, the leave will be real nice, but to induce flowering, I guess you might need more yellow light... with orchid, you always get better result with Sodium lamp, so you might want to consider adding one or at least adding a fluorecent with a lot a yellow specter.

Good luck
Old 06-23-2004, 08:49 AM   #3
audiotaylor
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to audiotaylor

Im not too good with bulbs and color; do you know if 6,700k compact fluorescents put out a good amount of yellow? I am putting a few species of orchids in my 80 gallon tank and now that I know that the yellow spectrum is what helps them flower, I might as well know if the bulbs Im using will work. Thanks!
-David
Old 06-23-2004, 01:11 PM   #4
louisxyz
Algae Grower

Between 4000 and 6500 for Fluorescent is fine, 10K is too blue and 3000K is too red so it is fine. I don't know much about compact fluorescent, but any full spectrum bulb will do.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.