Dart Frog Habitats?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion > Riparium/Terrarium/Vivarium

Old 02-06-2004, 09:25 AM   #1
Raul-7
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)

I'm really intrested in poison dart frogs, expecially Blue Azures...any good articles about how to design their habitat? I really like Gareth's article..is that the guide I should follow? What's a good size tank, I've seen them and there really small...so would a 30-40g be enough? And I assume they eat wingless-fruitflies?
Raul-7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2004, 01:34 PM   #2
Zurp
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

Gareth is a good source for that info, send him a Private message and ask him directly, but add link to here and ask him to reply in this post.

Here is some info that I have found...
http://members.aol.com/Frogkeepr/links.html
http://www.doylesdartden.com/
http://www.amphibiancare.com/frogs/c...ndartfrog.html
Zurp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2004, 01:39 PM   #3
Raul-7
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)

Are they quiet at night? Have any links on how to build a waterfall draining into a shallow pond...?
Raul-7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2004, 06:11 PM   #4
skylsdale
Planted Member

This is one of the single best sites I've found for specific habitat/biotope information. Many of the species profiles give you photos from the habitat, monthly precipitation, etc. It's a German site, but with a translator you can get the basic information.

**crud. I just checked my bookmarks and it looks like the site isn't up anymore.**

Azureus are predominantly terrestrial. Here's a decent profile on them: http://www.poison-frogs.nl/e01.html Here's a good example of a viv for them: http://www.danielconnor.com/vivarium.html

If you're at all serious about keeping them, I HIGHLY recommend getting on www.frognet.org as well as checking out their gallery for ideas.
skylsdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2004, 07:12 AM   #5
Anonymous
Planted Member

there is a site , www.terra5designs.com that has some great products for vivariums and he is really good about going that extrea mile with helping via email. check it out.
Anonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2004, 08:20 AM   #6
Anonymous
Planted Member

that would be a great size! are you planning a water fall or something? if you need plants, moss or anything stop by www.terra5designs.com
Anonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2004, 05:54 PM   #7
digger
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Send a message via ICQ to digger

terra5designs.com needs to work on their website a bit. I couldn't find the links to the product catalog. The search returns pages that are password protected or permission denied. Many pictures aren't working.
digger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2004, 07:51 PM   #8
GDominy
Planted Tank VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raul-7
I'm really intrested in poison dart frogs, expecially Blue Azures...any good articles about how to design their habitat? I really like Gareth's article..is that the guide I should follow? What's a good size tank, I've seen them and there really small...so would a 30-40g be enough? And I assume they eat wingless-fruitflies?
For many dart frogs a tank as large as a 30-40gallon tank would be monstrous. You could set up a substantial colony in something like that.

Generally speaking, I would start small for dart frogs (20 gallon, or any other 24"-30" tank). At least untill you are comfortable with them (its also MUCH easier to feed your frogs in a smaller tank. Remember, small frogs = small food). Pick one species you like, and get a pair of them. Prices in Canada range from $30-250 per frog depending on the species.

Some frogs are very vocal at night so you'll want to do some research.

The guide I prepared was a very general article, for more specifics you'll want to do some detailed research and maybe pick up a book on Dart Frog care. I will try to get some links for you later tonight, at least some stuff to get you started!
GDominy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2004, 09:30 PM   #9
Kris
Planted Tank Enthusiast

i am watching this thread closely as i currently have fire belly toads and want to add blue azures to my ark eventually.
keep in touch and please keep us posted!
kris
Kris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2004, 10:22 PM   #10
GDominy
Planted Tank VIP

I would not recomend mixing the two at all. Dart frogs can drown pretty easily so the semi aquatic environment that the fire belly toads require would be hazardous.

Not to mention that the requirement for these frogs are different...
GDominy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2004, 11:30 PM   #11
Kris
Planted Tank Enthusiast

gareth, my friend, you misunderstand. i have no intention of putting them together. by adding to my ark, i meant adding a new habitat and etc. for them to the other animals that i currently have.
my partner calls me noah on account of how many pets i have...
Kris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2004, 03:40 AM   #12
xxll
Algae Grower

this is ware i come in! iv been keeping dart frogs for a cople of years now and am obsessed with vivarums.
this is a genral guid to dart frogs and vivariums:
the best speceis to start with are: Dendrobates leucomelas(yellow and black ones or the "bumble bee"), Dendrobates tinctorius (the common name is the "dyeing poisin frog"),Dendrobates auratus (green and black),Phyllobates terribilis (the "mint green frog") and Dendrobates azureus (the big blue ones). we rearly use the common names becuse they usaly describe a physical charicterisic of the animal and considering that dart frogs are extreemly verably it is unpractical exampleendrobates pumilio has been called the "blue geen frog" by some due to the fact that some indeviduals have bright blue legs it might also be called the "strawbury frog" becuse some indoviduals are comlpetly crimson red, but it can also be bright blue and green!
All dart frogs can housed in a 10 gallon tank, this is good enough for about 2 indoviduals of the species i just mentioned. after being aclimated these frogs will becume very active and are diurnal sp?humididy is important, 80%-100% humididty is required you don't need an expensive misting system, just simply put a peace of plexy glass over the top with a fiew holes (do not put a light right on the plaxy glass, it will melt, have the light suspended above.)they are not to picky about temp, mid 80s is good. due to there small size, the best food is fruit flies, there a couple different species of fruit flies you can culture at home, all eather have no wings or have them but cant fly, you can get these from many places online, i will not go into culturing them hear, this will be long enough and you can find it anyware, i will gust say that it is easy but you must stay on top of it to insure a steady stream of flies. 2 frogs could easly eat about 20 flies eatch so i would put about 50 in at a time. besides fruit flies they will eat crickets if the frogs are big enough, they also love small spiders but giveing them to meny may help them to produce poison witch they dont have in captivity(they are not poisonis in captivity! not even if they are wild cought!!!).
now comes the fun part, the vivarium!
this can be just as complicated as mantaining a heavliy planted aquarium, but i will gest go over the basics
before you can put down your substight, you should ask youself if you want a background, this is not one on thoughs plastic pictures that they sell at pet stores for the back a aquareums, these go into the tank they are the 1st thing you put in and are siliconed on to the back, bacgrounds can add a hole other dimetion to the tank, for epyphitic plants(plants that dont' need soil to grow can be mounted on) the best backgrounds out there are:

coco panels- coconut fibers compeacted together to creat a 1inch thick brown dark bord with an interesting texture
treefern root fibers- this is my favorite, basicly its a bunch of dark almost black sticks(fern roots) woven together, it looks great, but is a little pricy.
corck bark-a slab or corck bark very intresting and 3D

now after you glue that on, you will need to put down a 1-2inch drange layer, this colects all the water that will pass through the substright when you water your plants, if it just stayed in your planting meidum it would make it soggy and the plants wuld rot. the 2 thing you can yous for drange are pea gravle , just plane old aquarium gravle(im shoure you have some of that lying around. or a much better choice is Terra-Lite , Terra-Lite is made out of clay and comes in the form of little balls, it is much lighter then grave and will also clean the water a little. on top of the base layer you should put a plastic window screen matereal, this allows water to get through but not the subtright. on to of this is the actual sustright. i like coco beddign for the base of the mix, it drains water well and is good for plants and frogs. you then can add a little (about 1/4 of what the bottle recomends) organic fertilizer. although you fishkeepers have know it for years(with your biological filters) us reptile entusenstes have just begin to get the idea of a biologicly active tank. you can help this along by adding some partualy decomposing leaves to the substright. your substrigh should be about 3-4 inches deep.

now you land scape, in a 10 gallon, you are kind of limited, not realy enough room for a water fall or a stream but you can put in a handsome peice of wood, Cypress or Ghost Wood are good for wet habitats. now we plant! i will not go into plants in great detaile hear, but the easyest to grow are:
golden pothes- that vineing plant that almost every office has in its windows
aroids- beutifule arrow head shaped leaves
bromeliads- i love these! there are 2 groups the ones that have roots, these can only be grown in soil(much easyer to find),and the epiphytes, these can be grown in the soil but can also be hot glued to the backround.
moss- tropical pillow moss will grow well in high light
now you can add accents, i like to put a thin layer of dead leaves on the bottem
good lighs are important, compeact fluresncents are the best, get the brightest ones you can.
sorry it is so long, but this is just the basics
good luck
sorry about any spelling erros its about 12:35 PM as i write this
the best place to get all these suples is blackjungle.com
it is a vivaium shop,all the plants are great for vivariums and they also sell frogs, and just about anything elts you can think of!
if you have any questions please e-mail me colinclark@optonline.com
xxll is offline   Reply With Quote