Complexity Journal: 2.5g nano / Torn down for now. - Page 3
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 05-31-2008, 04:45 AM   #31
jelisoner
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)

very nice nano ...where did you get the elephants that are beside it those are bad a**
jelisoner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-31-2008, 10:53 PM   #32
Complexity
Pelvicachromis Lover!

PTrader: (34/100%)

Thanks! For both compliments!

I think I found them at a local store called Kirkland's, but I'm not positive. I just happened upon them and really liked them. Elephants have a special meaning for me.
Vicki Rena Filstar pimp #142 (four XP4s/three XP2s/one XP1) Eheim pimp #301 (Pro II 2128) Victor pimp #27 (VTS-253B-320)

90g - Journal Pelvicachromis taeniatus 'Moliwe' 75g - Journal Pelvicachromis pulcher 'Lagos Red' Better Pics 8-24
29g - Journal Pelvicachromis pulcher 'unknown' -- 29g - Pelvicachromis taeniatus 'Moliwe'
5g - RCS colony 2.5g - Journal Retired
Complexity is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-09-2008, 01:39 AM   #33
CL
C-A-T-S

PTrader: (78/100%)

hey! got any updates?
Old 06-12-2008, 01:00 AM   #34
Complexity
Pelvicachromis Lover!

No updates yet. I'm working on my 75g right now so the 2.5g will have to wait. I have pulled out the fish since they were just guppy fry that was outgrowing the tank. I'm considering putting my pygmy rasboras in there, but I haven't decided yet. Or I may use it for RCS. For now, I have 5 amano shrimp in there since I'm getting hair algae.

I'll update my sig when I update the tank again. It will probably be a few weeks still, depending on the progress I make on my 75g setup.
Vicki Rena Filstar pimp #142 (four XP4s/three XP2s/one XP1) Eheim pimp #301 (Pro II 2128) Victor pimp #27 (VTS-253B-320)

90g - Journal Pelvicachromis taeniatus 'Moliwe' 75g - Journal Pelvicachromis pulcher 'Lagos Red' Better Pics 8-24
29g - Journal Pelvicachromis pulcher 'unknown' -- 29g - Pelvicachromis taeniatus 'Moliwe'
Old 07-01-2008, 08:28 PM   #35
Karackle
Woah, I'm a Guru?!

PTrader: (16/100%)

Just caught up with your journal here and I wanted to say it looks beautiful, you've really done an amazing job with the scale, it definitely looks much larger than it is! Well done!
I enjoy having a zoo to care for!
20gH Planted tank,5g Planted Betta Tank
Karackle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2008, 08:56 PM   #36
Complexity
Pelvicachromis Lover!

Thank you! The scale was my main goal. I want to redo the scape, but I'm focusing most of my attention to my 75g right now. So my 2.5g is getting filled with algae. All the fish are gone (fry grew up).

When I rescape it, I think I'd like to use it for RCS. I think they'd look great and continue the scale affect I'm after.

Old 07-02-2008, 02:47 AM   #37
Karackle
Woah, I'm a Guru?!

Well i'd say your scale goal was accomplished then! I understand completely putting your energy into getting the 75g set up! But I think you're definitely correct that RCS would look really good with your scale, it would look like a tank full of lobsters if someone didn't know! :-D good luck with the 75, i'll be keeping an eye on both threads
Old 07-02-2008, 06:45 AM   #38
Complexity
Pelvicachromis Lover!

Thanks, Karackle. I'm in a bit of a push because I'll be moving my tanks to my house in a month or so. So by the time I get my 75g all set up, it'll be time to move it. So while it may seem a waste of time to put so much work into my 75 just before moving it, I think the work will serve as a learning experience so I can a better job after its moved.

So for now, the poor 2.5g just keeps growing riccia like a mountain and is being overtaken by algae. I have ferts on the way for my 75, and I'm hoping I can use a little of them for this small tank. Mix that with excel, and maybe I can get the tank back on track. If I can get a handle on the algae, then I can do a rescape on it. I'd like to make my current "pathway" in the middle that can't be seen at all into a rock ledge, like a retainer wall. I think that would make for a really nice design, adding texture and depth. Then the RCS can take over!

Old 07-02-2008, 01:07 PM   #39
Karackle
Woah, I'm a Guru?!

I think it should definitely serve as a learning experience, and you can figure out what you did or didn't like the look of when you rescape it after the move
Also, I think a rock ledge would look REALLY cool! What a neat idea! I've been thinking about doing a little rock cave sort of buried in the substrate, a rock ledge could be really cool though too!
Old 07-02-2008, 04:30 PM   #40
Complexity
Pelvicachromis Lover!

Thanks about the ledge. I won't rescape this tank when I move (or I should say my move and rescaping of this tank don't affect each other). I'll do it whenever I get the time.

The rock ledge is just a progression from what I had already done. I couldn't keep the rocks to stay where I wanted them, so they are actually encased in a plastic mold I made. I used hot glue to hold the rocks in place.

So what I hope I can do is take the whole thing out and glue more rocks on the front side of it. Then rather than burying it in the substrate like a river, I'll use it like a retaining wall to create two depths of substrate which I hope will add to the illusion of scale.

I won't know if it'll work until I try it, but I have nothing to lose other than some time, a few rocks and burnt fingers from the hot glue!

Old 07-13-2008, 04:30 PM   #41
Complexity
Pelvicachromis Lover!

UPDATE:

I completely let this tank go which is not a good idea for such a small tank with no ferts, no CO2, no excel, but very bright lighting. Anyone want to guess what I'm growing now?

Hair algae has completely taken over the entire tank. I saw it coming, but was so busy with my 75g that I didn't stop it. So it's taken over very badly.

I had already removed all the fish in the tank so I decided to try the H2O2 method of getting rid of the algae.

Yesterday, I did a 95% water change, removed the fine floss from the filter, and then added 5ml of H202. I let it sit with the filter running for 35 minutes. I've been keeping the lights off on that tank so when I took a look, sure enough, everything had bubbles on it. I then did a 50% water change and have kept the light off.

It hasn't been even 24 hours yet so it's hard to tell what's going to happen. Some of the algae looks like it's become floppy (laying down on the plants rather than sticking up), but there are other areas where it's still sticking up like before. So we'll see.

I took a few pictures of the algae yesterday before doing the treatment. I'll try to get them posted today, if I can.

Old 11-16-2008, 10:12 PM   #42
fastfreddie
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (9/100%)

Vicki, I hope you'll get this, or another nano tank going after you're settled back in from the move. I really enjoyed this journal.
Old 11-16-2008, 10:37 PM   #43
Complexity
Pelvicachromis Lover!

Thank you! I probably will get the nano going again because I'm looking at getting some super-red RCS, and I don't have anyplace to put them!

Oh, the joys of MTS.

Old 11-17-2008, 12:01 AM   #44
Karackle
Woah, I'm a Guru?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Complexity View Post
I'm looking at getting some super-red RCS, and I don't have anyplace to put them!
Uh-oh....is that me being a bad influence again?! SORRY!

I can't wait to see you have a nano up and running again though, your previous one was gorgeous!
Old 11-17-2008, 12:07 AM   #45
Complexity
Pelvicachromis Lover!

Oh, yes... it's definitely your fault, Karackle. And sorry just won't cut it.

This is going to cost you.

Hmm... got any bamboo shrimp you'd like to give me?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.