moogoo's new tank! (5-18-2009 UPDATE) (56K)
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 10-30-2008, 09:59 PM   #1
moogoo
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Send a message via AIM to moogoo

moogoo's new tank! (5-18-2009 UPDATE) (56K)

Some of you may recall that I had a 30 gal "sacred tree" idea. It pretty much went down the tubes as I got too busy with work/school and was unable to keep up the maintenance and ferts on the high-light tank. Algae was pretty much the killer as I spent awhile fighting rhizoclonium and now have a bad case of cladophora. I've had the particular 30 gal tank since my freshman yr of college. It's got scratches on the glass and trim so I figured, "Hey, I think it's time to upgrade to something nicer."

So I decided I'd upgrade to a 75P. I'm not sure what kind of scape I'll be doing yet. I'm still looking for inspiration. For now, I want to plan everything out and do this tank the right way with as much automation as I can.

Here's what I've got so far that I will be reusing in the new setup.

- 5# CO2 Cylinder with Rex Grigg Regulator
- Feeding CO2 inline using T-connector.
- 2 x Hydor Koralia 1
- Glass drop checker with homemade 4DKH solution
- Planting/Pruning accessories
- Ferts and maintenance items

Yea, the list is not very long. I will be switching my eheim 2213 to my 10 gal tank to replace the mini canister. My current light fixture (36" Current Dual Satellite) is too large for the 75P and I would like to keep the light between 2-3WPG this time around. I might be selling the fixture, so keep an eye out for a posting.

Here is a google sketchup of my plans for the new setup sans filtration, tubing, automation.

Let me explain the sketchup. The stand will be built in the ADA style using 3/4" plywood. It will be painted black and will be trimmed in molding (not shown) to match other furniture in my living room. For more details on the stand, I have another thread about it. My 5# CO2 and the 75P is pictured. I will do a DIY light stand using Tom Barr's design. The new light fixture will be a Current Sundial 24" having 4 x T5 bulbs for a total of 96W.

The Aquascape
Right now I don't know what kind of aquascape I want. Considering the location in my living room, I would like a scape that will be enjoyable from both sides as well as the front. Any suggestions/links for inspiration on this is greatly appreciated.

I do know that I want to use Flourite Black Sand for my substrate and I intend to purchase 5 bags. I think/hope this will be enough to do whatever aquascape I figure out, but I can always change the quantity depending on what I decide in the future.

The Lighting
The 75P is a 42G tank. I'd like 2-3WPG and I'd like to go the T5 route. CF, although cheaper, seem to give off a lot of heat and the MH doesn't have a low enough wattage. So for T5 fixtures I've selected the following to choose from:

- 24" Current Sundial 4x24W (PURCHASED)
- 20" Current Nova Extreme Pro 6x18W
- 24" Catalina Solar T5

I'm sure each of these fixtures are great lights, though there are pros and cons to each. Here's where I'd really appreciate it if those of you out there who have one of these or all of them, could chime in and let me know what you think of the quality and features of the fixture. Pricing seems to be somewhat similar from the research I've done, so that probably isn't an issue (yes i've calculated the need to replace the actinic bulbs with 6700K bulbs in the current fixtures). Right now, I am leaning toward the Sundial fixture because of its complete "all-in-one" package. Lastly, since I'd like to hang these fixtures, are the Current fixtures hangable? Do they sell hanging kits for them? Or is there a DIY solution?

The CO2
I will be reusing my 5# Cylinder and regulator. I will try diffusing the CO2 by feeding into the filter intake to eliminate the need for an in-line reactor that decreases flow. I'll just have to keep an eye on my drop checker, the plants and the fish.

The Filtration & Flow
Filtration will be 2 x Eheim 2215. I am planning to place one intake each back corner of the tank. One intake will be sucking from the bottom while the other intake will suck toward the top. The spraybars will be placed on opposite sides, one toward the top and one at the bottom.

Flow will be from the spraybars of the filters and the addition of 2 x Hydor Koralia 1. I plan to place these, one on each side, with one pointing toward the back center and one pointing toward the front. My hope is to create a constant "whirlpool" that will give the optimum amount of flow to all parts of the tank as well as to keep debris from settling and allow it all be captured by the filter.

I will also be plumbing a 15W Gamma UV sterilizer to one of the filters to ensure water quality.

The Automation
So the major change from my old setup to the new setup will be automation. This excludes lighting, as those will be on timers to simulate a dawn/day/dusk/moon scenario. What I'm talking about here is automatic dosing and topping off.

For the automatic dosing, I've seen a bunch of threads on here and the general recommendation is peristaltic (sp?) pumps. But at $63/pump, it is a bit out of my range and since I will be fertilizing using EI, the precision of the dosing is not as essential if I aim for the mid-range.

After doing some research, I came across the Tom Aquatics Aqua Lifter. At a mere $10 a pump, it would only be $30 to complete my automation. Of course, it's probably that cheap for a reason. Any input on this pump? Recommendations for other pumps? I don't really want to spend more than $30/pump as I will need 3 (one for macro, one for micro, one for top-off). Any and all input is appreciated!

--------------------------

Well, I think that's about it for what I'm thinking about right now. Sorry for the long post. I will greatly appreciate any and all comments and criticisms. I will probably start purchasing the equipment and the tank sometimes around thanksgiving. So until then, I'll be doing a lot of research and taking in whatever advice you guys give me and tweaking my plans as necessary. Thanks in advance! I will update as I go along, hopefully pictures won't be too far off

Last edited by moogoo; 05-18-2009 at 06:47 AM..
moogoo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-30-2008, 11:53 PM   #2
Down_Shift
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (20/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Down_Shift

Very Very nice setup. I wish I had the room to have a display like that.

Why not a bigger 1 canister and get some lily pipes?

If you get a higher hanger, you could get a hot looking pendant!
Old 10-31-2008, 12:20 AM   #3
moogoo
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I was thinking of doing 1 big canister, but decided on the two canister approach in order to increase the number of flow angles and to split up the plumbing of inline equipment to get the most flow out of each filter instead of bogging down one filter with a few inline attachments.

Lily pipes look great, but too expensive for me. Paying $400 shipped for the 75P is already a huge purchase, so the addition of lily pipes is just too much for me. Also, cleaning them and the fragile nature are discouraging. However, the main reason is price.

The light stand will be DIY, so it can be as high as I need it to be (of course only up to the ceiling). A pendant would be nice, but from what I've seen, MH pendants only go down to 150W, which would give me almost 4WPG. I'd rather keep the lighting to about 2-3WPG to slow growth and decrease maintenance. That's why I'm looking more into the T5 fixtures.
Old 10-31-2008, 12:30 AM   #4
@marko@
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (55/100%)

fishman on here makes lily pipes of acrylic and cheaper then ADA, check the SnS for his thread, and there post on his thread if you want some. i cant vouch for or against them, i never bought them.
Old 10-31-2008, 12:46 AM   #5
moogoo
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I saw those, but he even says that his lily pipes don't create a whirlpool effect, which I believe is the main advantage of those intake/outflows other than invisibility.

I think the whirlpool is important to reduce/eliminate surface film and to ensure proper circulation of CO2 and nutrients. While fishman's pipes look great, I don't think they are right for my plans.
Old 11-15-2008, 06:04 AM   #6
moogoo
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Just an update for my own notes as well as for anyone who's interested. Went to a LFS I usually hit up when it's convenient and decided to take a look at the rocks they had. They had a wonderful selection of petrified wood as well as other types of rocks for reasonable prices. From a quick glance, it seemed the most expensive rocks were $3/lb.

I'll definitely be stopping in there if I'm disappointed by the landscaping/nurseries that I'm gonna hit up first.

Also saw this huge tank. Don't konw the exact size but it was 38" DEEP... and probably at least 5' long. It was awesome. I wish I had the room for it. But, I digress.

Anyway, that's the small update for now. I should be getting my work bonus within the next few weeks, so hopefully after that I can figure out my finances and determine when I can start purchasing equipment for this new setup!

For now, if anybody has any ideas on the pumps I described in my first post, please share. I'd like to automate the dosing and topping off, but I want to do it right. However, I don't want to go the most expensive route either. Thanks!
Old 11-15-2008, 11:42 AM   #7
@marko@
Planted Tank Guru

i didnt see the part of your post on automation.
im doing the same thing, and im using aqualifters. the thing is, they cant lift the water too high. also, if its too low, itll dump in too much water, unless you have a very good percise timer. im using them since i can hook them up to X10 which gives me control down to the second, but an average timer with 15min intervals would be no good.
unless you can do something like that, i suggest you get these:
http://www.aptinstruments.com/Mercha...ory_Code=SP100
epicfish showed me those, and they pump in mls per minute if i remember right. so they would be perfect if you plan on using regular timers. also, you only need 2 pumps. macros in 1 bucket, micros in the other.
here is the thread, look through it, it may help:
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ge...ei-dosing.html

oh, yeah. forgot about the whirlpool. for me that wouldnt be useful, since i have an eheim surface skimmer attached to my eheim prefilter, so that sucks out all the skum, but yeah, you need SOMETHING, or it looks really gross.

so, will it be an iwagumi? or will you put wood in with the stones?
Old 12-09-2008, 01:25 AM   #8
CmLaracy
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (21/100%)

Way too much flow. 1 Koralia 1 and an eheim would turn a 75P into a whirlpool. You want to do 2x that. You wouldn't be able to keep rocks down, let alone plants lol

The 75P is pretty easy to get sufficient flow in, as it's not terribly long. I put a koralia 1 in my tank when my xp3 started to slow down and it mowed everything down. Even the koralia nano is a it too much. If you go with two eheims you won't need ANY powerheads, ever.

Remember, I've had a 75P for almost 2 years now
Old 02-04-2009, 05:30 PM   #9
moogoo
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Good to know CM... I'll keep that in mind. Do you have Koralias? The Koralias don't have much force, but they move a lot of water.

UPDATE:

I finally took the plunge and ordered the 75P. Not sure how long it will take to get here, but I need to go pick it up at the carrier's terminal. I've also ordered all the equipment that I'll be using as well.

Once the tank gets here, I can look into building the stand as I outlined above.

Once that's all finished, I'll look into doing the DIY light stand and getting the hardscape (most likely petrified wood). Then the real fun will begin! I'll update soon with pics...
Old 02-04-2009, 05:38 PM   #10
moogoo
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by @marko@ View Post
i didnt see the part of your post on automation.
im doing the same thing, and im using aqualifters. the thing is, they cant lift the water too high. also, if its too low, itll dump in too much water, unless you have a very good percise timer. im using them since i can hook them up to X10 which gives me control down to the second, but an average timer with 15min intervals would be no good.
unless you can do something like that, i suggest you get these:
epicfish showed me those, and they pump in mls per minute if i remember right. so they would be perfect if you plan on using regular timers. also, you only need 2 pumps. macros in 1 bucket, micros in the other.
here is the thread, look through it, it may help:
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ge...ei-dosing.html

oh, yeah. forgot about the whirlpool. for me that wouldnt be useful, since i have an eheim surface skimmer attached to my eheim prefilter, so that sucks out all the skum, but yeah, you need SOMETHING, or it looks really gross.

so, will it be an iwagumi? or will you put wood in with the stones?
Sorry for double post (and very late reply).

I haven't tried the aqualifters yet, but I read a few reviews where while the aqualifters don't pull water up very high, they can push water very efficiently. I will experiment with this and update this thread with my findings. Hopefully it will work, or my automation plans will need to be rethought.

I saw the perstaltic pumps before, but I think they are a bit too expensive right now. While they are much more precise and probably worth every penny, I thought I'd try the aqualifters first. I need to double check my timers to see what their minute intervals are, but I might get newer, more accurate ones.

I'm not sure if it will be iwagumi. I don't think I want driftwood this time around though. The aquascape is definitely up the air still.
Old 02-04-2009, 10:20 PM   #11
@marko@
Planted Tank Guru

the aqualifters should work, if you can get them to lift the fertz into your tank. they are not at all powerful. oh, and the distance it says they can pump is wrong, they can pump 2x that, if you set it up so you have that length on the intake, and that length on the outake.
Old 02-04-2009, 10:52 PM   #12
moogoo
Planted Tank Enthusiast

cool. I'll have to try it out so i can get somewhat consistent dosing... thanks for the info.
Old 02-27-2009, 02:59 AM   #13
smoq
local fisherman

PTrader: (37/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CmLaracy View Post
Way too much flow. 1 Koralia 1 and an eheim would turn a 75P into a whirlpool. You want to do 2x that. You wouldn't be able to keep rocks down, let alone plants lol

The 75P is pretty easy to get sufficient flow in, as it's not terribly long. I put a koralia 1 in my tank when my xp3 started to slow down and it mowed everything down. Even the koralia nano is a it too much. If you go with two eheims you won't need ANY powerheads, ever.

Remember, I've had a 75P for almost 2 years now
Hmm, I am on my way of setting a 75g tank and I considered adding a coralia to my setup. Somebody reccomended me coralia 2, while you are saying that even coralia 1 is too much? I will have combo eheim 2213 and 2217 in my tank. Do you think it is going to be enough flow and that I don't need a powerhead?
smoq is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2009, 05:14 AM   #14
moogoo
Planted Tank Enthusiast

a 75P and a 75G are different. 75P refers to a 75cm tank from ADA which is about 42 gallons. not a 75G tank.
Old 02-27-2009, 10:46 AM   #15
smoq
local fisherman

PTrader: (37/100%)

Oh, I didn't even spot the "P"
smoq is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.