Compatability questions
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 11-11-2008, 10:21 AM   #1
Allen121
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Compatability questions

Ok, 2 for the price of one here... First Crown Beta in planted nano tank... Would it mess with a couple amano shrimp? Or perhaps an oto instead? It's a 2 gallon tank though, so no heater, and this makes me think it's a bad idea, but I wanted someone to confirm this or tell me an easy way to make it work if such exists. I have anubias nana in it and intend to add java moss or willow moss and perhaps a very small growing foreground plant like dwarf hair grass or star grass.

Second... Thinking of adding some rams to my 20 gallon planted tank. One gold ram and one or two blue rams, possibly GBRs but the store sells some that are listed as "blue ram" and the guy said these are NOT GBRs but he can get them for me. (They sell both) Will these kill my shrimp? I'm confident that they won't mess with my tetra from everything I've read and everyone I've talked to (especially once the plants all grow out and create plenty of visual barriers) but I haven't gotten in to the compatabily with amano shrimp until now.

Ok, any help will be much appriciated, thanks.
Allen121 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2008, 11:15 AM   #2
Stevie D
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/75%)

It depends with the betta if they will bother the amanos..They will definitely try and rip apart small shrimp, but i haven't had any problems with the amano, as long as they are a decent size. You really should get even a small hydor heater for your betta, of any fish betta really need a warmer temp. It's not uncommon in their home environment for them to be in steamy puddles that are high 80's or more. They orcourse can life without a heater, but would you like to not have heat in the winter?

Rams should leave the amanos alone, mine do, but again make sure you don't get baby amanos because once they start picking on shrimp, you might not ever get them to stop. Only get 1 pair max of rams for a 20 gallon, and make sure it is a male/female, or at least 2 females. Even then a pair might fight and the male could kill the female, although this probably won't happen (talking about GBR here)

Stevie D
Stevie D is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
amano shrimp, beta, gbr, nano, otocynclus

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.