High Tech/Low Tech??
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Low Tech Forum

Old 11-04-2008, 07:49 AM   #1
apro
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Exclamation

High Tech/Low Tech??

For a 28 Gallon with 55 W CF 6500K on for 8 hours would you people recommend going the pressurised CO2 way.

I have used Hagen DIY CO2 but have had medium algae outbreaks due to fluctuating CO2, moreover my plants are not doing too well.

What does anyone recommend about Soda Bottle Low Tech's - how long do they last?

Regards
apro is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2008, 07:54 AM   #2
SpeedEuphoria
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by apro View Post
What does anyone recommend about Soda Bottle Low Tech's - how long do they last?
Talking about DIY CO2 correct?

For that I would say use wine east if you can. Also more bottles with less volume, and swap them out on a rotation of 1 new every week. This should keep the CO2 more stable.
Understanding the basics will let you make informed decisions on what advice to follow, and what advice is just plain hooey!
VICTOR PIMP #9 VTS-253A-1993
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2641801
SpeedEuphoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 11:50 AM   #3
Veloth
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)

I use a 2 liter bottle with regular yeast, that I swap out every week when I do my w/c. I have forgotten to renew the bottle and didn't notice any difference in the output by the next week, but I try to be a creature of habit so I do it every week.
Veloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 03:15 AM   #4
ER9
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by apro View Post
For a 28 Gallon with 55 W CF 6500K on for 8 hours would you people recommend going the pressurised CO2 way.

I have used Hagen DIY CO2 but have had medium algae outbreaks due to fluctuating CO2, moreover my plants are not doing too well.

Regards
same with me...i even rotated out bottles but never got co2 stabilized. i finally ditched the diy co2 in favor of excel. my algae issues are finally stabilized and regressing and my plants are healthy. not growing as fast but doing well. i would not go back to co2 unless it was pressurized.
ER9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 03:13 PM   #5
Shavemacman
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ER9 View Post
same with me...i even rotated out bottles but never got co2 stabilized. i finally ditched the diy co2 in favor of excel. my algae issues are finally stabilized and regressing and my plants are healthy. not growing as fast but doing well. i would not go back to co2 unless it was pressurized.
Thats good to hear. I have been very tempted to setup a DIY CO2 on my low tech setup (currently using excel) to increase plant growth but this post helped push off the CO2 lust.