Petsmart Cardinal Tetras - Page 3
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 10-29-2008, 08:54 PM   #31
MikeP_123
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

Don't mean to high jack a thread but...
So If I get them for .99 each then I could theoretically start a little home cardinal business....would anyone be interested in buying them? You would be saving about $2 per fish but subtract shipping and handling.

So you would save around $10 on orders of 10

So around 2.00 per fish and shipping is $6-$7 flat rate box right? Never shipped fish b4 so idk
MikeP_123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-30-2008, 02:09 AM   #32
Ebichua
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (82/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeP_123 View Post
Don't mean to high jack a thread but...
So If I get them for .99 each then I could theoretically start a little home cardinal business....would anyone be interested in buying them? You would be saving about $2 per fish but subtract shipping and handling.

So you would save around $10 on orders of 10

So around 2.00 per fish and shipping is $6-$7 flat rate box right? Never shipped fish b4 so idk
I'd buy from you, haha!

As long as they are healthy and that there's nothing wrong with them, then I think you'll have a ton of customers :-)
Ebichua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 02:11 AM   #33
Ebichua
Wannabe Guru

I returned the possible "sick" cardinal, he was about to put it back into the tank but I told him, "Uh... that fish might be sick, I don't think that's a good idea."
He paused, thought about it, then said, "Yeah, you're right. I'll go put it in the back."

It made me question the fish we're buying from petsmart...

I also took their phone survey thing. One of the questions was, "How would you improve this store?" I left a message saying, "How about not selling sick fish? That'd help a lot!" - End of message.

Haha
Old 10-30-2008, 02:24 AM   #34
Rev2eight
Planted Member

PTrader: (12/100%)

I recall speaking to one of the employees there once and she did happen mention that they do have some sort of captive bred only policy. She then went on to explain that was the reason they dont stock any salt water fish. I dont know if this was the true or not as i do take everything they say with a grain of salt. Especially when i notice a different person working the fish dept every time i go in there. Not to mention Ive had at least 2-3 die offs and 2 occasions when i brought home tetras with ich.
Rev2eight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 08:00 PM   #35
alexpk321
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebichua View Post
I was observing my new tetras just now. I found one with a small white dot on its fin...
No symptoms of ich except for this dot. I'm worried now, I bagged it up. Strange though, it was still schooling with the others and didn't scratch itself. Still has its nice colors and acted as if everything is fine.
Thank God I didn't dump petsmart water into my tank. I'm taking it back to replace it, hopefully the other tetras aren't infected yet. The other 5 that I have seem to be doing well though, no signs of ich. Knock on wood...

Sigh, this is what I get for shopping at petsmart.

All I ask is for a nice healthy school of cardinals to school for my young platinum angels to get accustomed to

Red, white and blueeeee

I don't believe cardinal tetras are ever captive bred. I don't think anyone knows how to breed them with any regularity (if indeed anyone ever has). Neons yes, they are easily captive bred, but cardinals no - they come from the Amazon region.

That also explains why they are so sensitive and have poor survivability in aquariums.
alexpk321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 08:10 PM   #36
mizu-chan
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (24/100%)

They're usually a dollar a piece att he Petsmart's here.
Old 10-31-2008, 09:59 PM   #37
Ebichua
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizu-chan View Post
They're usually a dollar a piece att he Petsmart's here.
Cardinals?! Wow! That's cheaper than neons here (going at 2 a pop).
Argh, you guys have no idea how lucky you all are

*Note* And there ARE some Captive bred cardinals, just not many because there's a ton in the wild.
--
I haven't lost any of the cardinals that I got from petsmart though. They seem very strong, so I don't know why people keep saying there's a 50%, give or take, death rate on them.
Old 10-31-2008, 10:59 PM   #38
fishscale
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)

Captive bred ones are not necessarily any better than the wild ones. I think most of the ones in this country come from Florida. A lot of places sell them for a dollar (or less) a pop, but that doesn't include the box charge and shipping fees (a lot of them only do airline pickup). Also, several people here have gotten them and had significant die off (>30%). I won't be keeping them now that I have downgraded to a smaller tank, but if I were, I would buy from a local trusted source. The DOAs and shipping make it roughly the same price.
Eheim Pimp #254, Eheim Wolverine #1

55 Gallon Work in progress
10 Gallon Shrimp Tank
10 Gallon Planted QT
20 Gallon Shrimp Tank (Work in progress)

fishscale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 04:56 AM   #39
lauraleellbp
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishscale View Post
Captive bred ones are not necessarily any better than the wild ones. I think most of the ones in this country come from Florida. A lot of places sell them for a dollar (or less) a pop, but that doesn't include the box charge and shipping fees (a lot of them only do airline pickup). Also, several people here have gotten them and had significant die off (>30%). I won't be keeping them now that I have downgraded to a smaller tank, but if I were, I would buy from a local trusted source. The DOAs and shipping make it roughly the same price.
The difference in captive bred depends on WHERE they were captive bred. If they were bred in the US, then they're much likely to be more hardy and possibly even spawn than any other stock IMO.

If they were bred in Asia then IMO wild caught are hardier than Asian stock (transporatation/acclimation/natural immunity issues). That's my personal opinion on the issue.

I agree that' it's worth the $ in the long run to get healthy stock even if they cost 3-4x as much. I spent $3 each on my last Cardinals, but haven't lost a single one and I've had them now for several months. That was money well spent.
Tampa Bay Aquarium Society - Next meeting Monday, August 11, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

lauraleellbp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 07:16 AM   #40
airborne_r6
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (10/100%)
Send a message via MSN to airborne_r6

We have had decent luck with Petsmart, I rarely if ever, see sick fish, but the prices are what most are saying, $4 for the cardinals and $2 for the regular neons, the same as the LFS. The workers here seem a little better. I was talking to one and she has a 75g planted and a saltwater at home so she at least knows what she is doing and seemed to run the stuff.
Old 11-09-2008, 07:30 AM   #41
deleted_user_16
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (40/100%)
Send a message via AIM to deleted_user_16

Quote:
I was observing my new tetras just now. I found one with a small white dot on its fin...
No symptoms of ich except for this dot. I'm worried now, I bagged it up. Strange though, it was still schooling with the others and didn't scratch itself. Still has its nice colors and acted as if everything is fine.
Thank God I didn't dump petsmart water into my tank. I'm taking it back to replace it, hopefully the other tetras aren't infected yet. The other 5 that I have seem to be doing well though, no signs of ich. Knock on wood...

Sigh, this is what I get for shopping at petsmart.

All I ask is for a nice healthy school of cardinals to school for my young platinum angels to get accustomed to

Red, white and blueeeee

u know that a white spot on the fin is not a disease or sickness, if its in the middle of the fin where it connects to the body, its just a wart type thing. i had a cardinal like that. i was told by many people its fine, it can live with it fine, it doesnt effect otehr fish or anything. unfortunately you never gave us pics so we could never have told.
deleted_user_16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 07:33 AM   #42
Ebichua
Wannabe Guru

Even if it didn't affect others, I wouldn't want it in my tank. A. there's always a risk and B. they're a schooling fish. They're all suppose to be as symmetrical as possible. Having a dozen cardinals then one with like, a white spot would be really off. It would disturb that symmetry and I'll get huge OCD reactions with it. :-P
Old 11-09-2008, 08:55 AM   #43
epicfish
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (266/100%)

Quote:
Cardinals?! Wow! That's cheaper than neons here (going at 2 a pop).
Argh, you guys have no idea how lucky you all are

*Note* And there ARE some Captive bred cardinals, just not many because there's a ton in the wild.
--
I haven't lost any of the cardinals that I got from petsmart though. They seem very strong, so I don't know why people keep saying there's a 50%, give or take, death rate on them.
Checked PetSmart here today for some Purigen...cardinals were $1 each. On sale I guess. Oh, and this is in Sacramento.
epicfish is offline   Reply With Quote