26w over 10g?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks

Old 05-27-2004, 08:31 PM   #1
tendril
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

26w over 10g?

Hey guys,

I have a ten gallon tank that I plan to light with 2 13W power compacts using AH Supplies' retrofit kit. Will this be enough to grow light-hungry plants like glossostigma (sp?) or should I spring for a 36W or even a 2x36W kit?

thanks
tendril is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2004, 09:37 PM   #2
secretagent
Planted Tank Obsessed

From the first option 2 13w lights wont be worth the whiel on light hungry plants! I have learned (or Think to know) that even though it is a shallow low gallon ratio light dosnt "expand" enough so If you have 2wpg it seems like you have 1 (an example not exact). Well I would aim higher in wpg in "smaller" tanks! Just my 2 cents!

PS: maybe someone who knows more will explain better that I did!

La la la la
I live in my own little world, but thats ok, they know me here...

Man! Good to be back! I have been soo consumed with my saltwater tank and school it's just so sad to let my empty fishtanks go to waste!

----SO LETS GET IT ON!----
Back to the Good side We shall travel!
secretagent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2004, 10:03 PM   #3
IUnknown
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to IUnknown

Depends on how much maintenance you want to do (and if you have Co2). I ran 2 x 36 watt on a ten gallon and it was great. The only problem was that the stem plants out grew the tank to fast. I am going to set that tank up again, but this time only using foreground plants. Smaller tanks need more WPG.
IUnknown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2004, 10:24 PM   #4
Wasserpest
Are these real?

PTrader: (175/100%)

Yes you can grow Glosso with two of the 13W kits. It might not be as lush and dense as with more light, but with some patience and CO2 you can get a good coverage of your substrate.
Wasserpest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2004, 04:44 PM   #5
hubbahubbahehe
Wannabe Guru

it will work, but only cuz you are getting the ahsupply kit...the reflectors really do work and they make all the difference in focusing the light into the tank...say, you had 2 x 13 without reflectors, no it would not work. good luck
Eheim Pimp Club Member #32
hubbahubbahehe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2004, 05:12 PM   #6
Derek
Algae Grower

I don't know about the glosso thing under 26 watts but I do know that one of AH Supply's 36 watt kits over a 10 gallon still leaves some shady spots, mainly at the back of the tank. I'm considering building a DIY hood for my 10, installing the 36 watt kit plus the original 15 watt T-8 (with a decent reflector) for 51 watts, mainly to improve light distribution in the tank. So, my two cents: skip the 2x13 watt kit and go with the 1x36 watt kit. It really isn't that much light. Remember, the watts/gallon ROT doesn't apply for nano tanks so 2.6 wpg on a 10 would be considered "moderate" light.

Hope this helps,

Derek
Old 05-30-2004, 07:29 AM   #7
ninoboy
Wannabe Guru

I agree with Derek. That's why I use 2 light fixtures on my 10gl. One to cover the front side and one for the back. I overdrive both bulbs with 4f32t8 ballast and the output is brighter than 3x15 if compared side by side.
Eheim Pimp #21 (2) 2028 and auto feeder
ninoboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2004, 12:20 PM   #8
daramagar

THe 2x13 retrofit kit does not come with the reflectors. Without the reflector and with the light sitting so close to the water I had shadows at the front of
my tank and my glosso was growing about 3" tall and toward the rear of the tank. I bought reflectors for the 2x13 and a 1x13 deluxe, built a new canopy
and now run 3x13 front to back on the tank.My glosso now grows horizontal.
daramagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2004, 02:30 PM   #9
tendril
Algae Grower

Just an update guys,

My 36w AH supply kit came in yesterday, and I'm hoping to have it up and running today. I'm really excited about finally having a decent planted tank! Right now I'm thinking of having 4-5 species. A nice red ludwigia repens, cambomba and microsorum pteropus v. 'windelov' for the background, and lilaeopsis and glossostigma in the foreground. What do you folks think?

Last edited by tendril; 06-10-2004 at 05:45 PM..
tendril is offline   Reply With Quote