Angelfish spawning-
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 06-07-2004, 01:24 PM   #1
fishlady
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

Angelfish spawning-

Good MOrning Everyone: I have a 90 gallon planted and it houses 6 large angelfish and small tetras and one BN plec. One pair of angels lays eggs about every four weeks and they dont have a chance with the plec as he eats them every time. I would like to try to raise some angels and want to know how to go about it. Do I move the pair into another tank or just move the plant leaf after the eggs are laid. And what size tank would the pair be comfortable in if I need to move them to their own tank to spawn?? Thanks for any help you can give on raising angel babies. My LFS will buy them from me so no problem finding homes for them.... Thanks alot!
fishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2004, 03:10 PM   #2
tommyboy22481
Planted Member

My two angels were spawning for a while, though I have yet to get any of the fry past the wiggler stages. This is a good site for breeding angels, they have good info on brine shrimp too. http://www.webrbiz.com/angelfish/home.html

Whether you move the angel fish to a seperate tank or just move the leaf depends on how closely you can watch the fish. If you dont want to worry about it just move the parents before they spawn. You would need a 20H for the pair to spawn comfortably. Once they spawn move the eggs to a jar floated in the breeding tank. Use methylene blue and an airstone in the jar to avoid fungus. Do a 50% water change in the jar after the eggs have hatched and are wiggling around on the leaf. After they have become free swimming and have used up their egg sac then you should start feeding them newly hatched brine shrimp. After about 3 weeks on brine shrimp they should be big enough to start feeding on crushed up flake food.

Good Luck!
Old 06-07-2004, 03:40 PM   #3
fishlady
Planted Member

Thanks for answering and the info. What happens to your wigglers Tom?? I was wondering, is the jar necessary if I were to remove the parents after spawning and put them back into the 90 gallon?? I guess I dont understand what the jar is for if they are in a breeding tank...Thanks-
Old 06-07-2004, 04:26 PM   #4
amanda huggenkiss
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Personally, I would move the breeding pair to another tank as suggested, but keep them in there with the eggs after they spawn. One of the best things about breeding angels is watching the parents care for their young.

I used to have a breeding pair in my community tank, and it was such a joy to watch them fanning the eggs to keep them oxygenated, and then picking them up and moving them around, both at the egg and wiggler stage. I also couldn't get them past the wiggler stage, but like I said, I had them in a community tank and it just wasn't set up for breeding.

From what I understand, they'll do best without a substrate (wigglers tend to get stuck in the gravel -- maybe sand would be alright?), and a sponge filter (same reason). Do a search on the net and I'm sure you'll find lots of more specific info.

wannacomewith.com
amanda huggenkiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2004, 07:42 PM   #5
tommyboy22481
Planted Member

The jar is so you dont have to add the methylene blue to the entire tank, it stains the silicon sealant. After you start feeding the free swimmers you could put them back in with the parents in the breeding tank. You could skip the methylene blue and just let the parents take care of the young the whole time but you will lose more eggs.

Its best with no substrate because its easier to keep the tank clean, and spot the fry.
Old 06-07-2004, 07:48 PM   #6
fishlady
Planted Member

Thank you both for helping. Is the Meth blue necessary if the parents are fanning the eggs, does the fanning prevent fungus (I would assume)?? Thanks, I will go buy a 20H as they spawn on a regular basis now...
Old 06-07-2004, 07:50 PM   #7
amanda huggenkiss
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Yup, the fanning is to prevent fungus. Tommyboy is probably right that you'll lose more eggs if you allow the parents to do it the natural way, but I guess it's up to you to decide WHY you want to breed them. Do you want a high yield to sell to your LFS, or do you just want to enjoy the experience?

wannacomewith.com
amanda huggenkiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2004, 02:13 AM   #8
fishlady
Planted Member

I just want the enjoyment of watching them raise their young. The LFS taking them is just a plus, knowing that they already have a home. Otherwisw I would not breed . I had kribensis that bred regularly and we really enjoyed the experience. The bred SO often tho, that I finally sold the parents to LFS with the babies. LOL Thanks for your help!