Does anybody who use diy co2...
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > DIY

Old 09-10-2003, 06:56 AM   #1
slyargent
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

...use flour instead? Well, I'm gonna try it, and it just seems logical that flour(refined) is made up of simple straches anyway, and has loads more protein, and other nutrients than just sugar, thus, the yeast last longer.

There are also other variations like adding some sugar to help jumpstart the yeast, since it takes longer for the starch form the flour to be available to the yeast.

If you have any experience with this, please do post here.

Thank you.
slyargent is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-10-2003, 05:45 PM   #2
Wasserpest
Are these real?

PTrader: (175/100%)

I tried using a sourdough recipe instead of the common sugar/yeast. Sourdough is basically flour and bacteria creating CO2. Since I bake bread weekly that seemed a very attractive option. However, the CO2 output was much less compared to the sugar solution, and getting that stuff out of the bottle was just a big mess.
But... try it... easy and cheap enough.
Wasserpest is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-10-2003, 09:06 PM   #3
anonapersona
Wannabe Guru

Cleaning, oh yeah, lfour wuld be a mess!

I use a gelatine recipe that has extra packets of Knox gelatine to make harder blocks. the Knox Blox recipe on the back of the box, but I substitute 3 cups of water with 2 cups of sugar for the fruit juice. In a 2 liter genreator I usually use 1/4 the recipe and 1/4 teaspoon wine yeast and sometimes 1/4 teaspoon yeast nutrient.

Now I'm experimenting with using 1/2 the recipe and replacing some water after 2 weeks.

Actually the sugar with champagne yeast worked pretty well, too. I might have needed more sugar to get the rate up to what I was used to with the gelatine.

Still playing with it, but not keeping good records so I tend to forget what's what.
anonapersona is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-10-2003, 09:26 PM   #4
slyargent
Algae Grower

The gelatin is pretty good I heard, since it provides some protein. But it can be expensive(a dollar each two weeks or so?) so that amounts to about 24 dollar per year. My goal with this tank is to get as low tech/cost as possible, with vigourous plant growth(I wanna prove you can get beauftiful tank without the cost, like what wasserpest did, I really love your tank, wasser!). Anyway, I'll try to compare the cost and how long the tank would last and see which last longer, but cheap.

PS: wasserpest, what was the ration of your sourdough recipe? Was it 1 part flour :2 parts water.
slyargent is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-10-2003, 09:49 PM   #5
Wasserpest
Are these real?

PTrader: (175/100%)

slyargent,
that's right, 1 part flour and 2 parts water was the recommanded mix to keep it fluid enough to be able to get most of it back out of the bottle.
For low cost with good output, I found just a simple sugar/yeast/water mix gives the best results. Using other ingredients extends the live of the mixture a couple of days, but to me the added cost and complexity isn't worth the savings in "labor".
Wasserpest is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-10-2003, 10:35 PM   #6
29gallonsteve
Planted Member

PTrader: (8/100%)

I used to use the Jello recipe, but I found that it took too long for mine to start producing CO2. While it did last longer, it produced a less intense concentration over that longer time frame.

The result: less CO2 in the water...less frequency of bottle changes.

Hey, for what its worth, the 10 minutes per month that it takes for me to mix up another batch of yeast CO2 mix is worth the concentration.

Thanks,
Steve
29gallonsteve is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-01-2003, 02:36 PM   #7
Guttboy
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Guttboy

Replacing my Yeast concoction for the first time....Just put a little bit 1/4 cup maybe in the new bottle...then put 2 cups sugar...1/4 tsp yeast...2 cups warm water and mixed it all up....will see how this works...reading about putting a little bit from the last mixture made me want to try this. Will keep you posted on how this works.

Next question...Does anyone know how the Hagen CO2 system manages to make such consistent bubbles? Is it the stabilizer? I know some of you have been making attempts at its recipie was wondering if any of you had some success.

Mike

10 Gallon...20 Endler's live bearers planted, peat/kitty litter/sand substrate

15 Gallon...Just Schultz Aquatic Plant soil
Guttboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-07-2004, 08:14 AM   #8
hubbahubbahehe
Wannabe Guru

Gutt, I believe the stabilizer is baking soda. someone correct me if i'm wrong. I believe it's just to lengthen the life of the yeast

any updates on the jello method, anyone?
Eheim Pimp Club Member #32
hubbahubbahehe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.