Lighting help needed
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Lighting

Old 05-28-2004, 12:47 AM   #1
malkfinger

PTrader: (0/0%)

Lighting help needed

I have a JEBO 6 g tank with a deep sand bottom and 15 # of LR, so only holds 3.5 g water. It has a 12" T5 power-glo 10000K 8w. Is there a way to overdrive this?

If not what would the best way be to fit more light in the plastic hood?
malkfinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-28-2004, 01:10 AM   #2
wellbiz
Wannabe Guru

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by malkfinger
I have a JEBO 6 g tank with a deep sand bottom and 15 # of LR, so only holds 3.5 g water. It has a 12" T5 power-glo 10000K 8w. Is there a way to overdrive this?

I am not aware of any way to overdrive it and to be honest from my reading there isnt much to be gained in overdriving T5 bulbs to begin with... My suggestion would be to look into a new fixture... Try ahsupply.com

Jason
Old 05-28-2004, 05:54 AM   #3
Rikko
Algae Grower

Send a message via ICQ to Rikko Send a message via AIM to Rikko

Quote:
Originally Posted by malkfinger

You would have to replace the ballast, but IMO overdriving a T5 bulb gives you practically no useful return.
Couple things you might try:

1. Try a fancy reflector for that fixture. You might be able to hack away at the fixture or just paint the inside with a better reflective surface. T5 reflected gives awesome light.

2. You could copy the type of canopy my girlfriend has. Basically, you've got your tank and a standard canopy, but a "lift" goes between the two. The lift is made out of thin wood and essentially adds about 6 inches of height to the tank. The canopy sits on top (she has fluorescent actinics in it) and in the lift itself, drill some holes in the back and add some generic screw-in compact fluorescent bulbs.
At Home Depot I found some waterproof moguls sockets (well, water resistant when you screw the bulbs in tightly) and some compact fluorescents that gave a blueish light that look *great* in a mini reef. Right now we've got 3 of those and a single 18" actinic in the hood and the light is DAZZLING. We're thinking about adding another fluoro or two and giving a clam a shot.
Let me know if I didn't explain it clearly enough - I can always head over there and take a couple pics.
Rikko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2004, 07:20 PM   #4
malkfinger

Default tank lid

I can not picture how to do it on my tank. There are 2 sections of top, the front one has a lid that opens and closes, and the light. The rear one has the filter/refugium if I can figure out how to light it.
malkfinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2004, 07:33 PM   #5
malkore
Planted Tank Guru

Is this an Eclipse tank or something, where the hood contains a filter and a light? If so, hmmm....not sure what to tell you, other than that's the exact reason I do not like Eclipse tanks...to proprietary...a PITA to modify without breaking something important.
Filstar XP2 PIMP #3
Visit my aquarium pages - see specs on my tanks, and photos of how they've evolved
malkore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2004, 07:39 PM   #6
GDominy
Planted Tank VIP

Those Jebo tanks are very similar to Eclipse systems... and thus.. very difficult to modify... your best bet might be to try and retrofit a Compact Flourescent bulb into it... but it wont be fun... And you will need ro be creative in modifying the tank for extra ventilation...
GDominy is offline   Reply With Quote