Is an 18" light good enough for a 28 gallon
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Lighting

Old 09-22-2008, 06:15 PM   #1
BlueDevil

PTrader: (0/0%)

Is an 18" light good enough for a 28 gallon

Hi All,
I am a newbie. I just purchased a combo from petco which includes a 28 gallon bowfront tank with filter, light and stand. I plan to keep some plants in this tank and I have an Eclipse daylight 18" long flourescent bulb (don't know wattage). Will this be enough light for my tank and how long should it be on per day? I plan to keep at most 5-different types of plants. If this light is not sufficient enought, what would you recommend. There are 10 fancy guppies, 2 angel fish and 3 CAE; is this overcrowded? What else do i need to keep the plants alive? Thanks for all the help.
BlueDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-22-2008, 06:52 PM   #2
seAdams
Planted Tank Obsessed

IME, those 18" bulbs are usually 15 watts. I just removed one from my tank and while I had it, the only thing I could keep alive was Java Fern.

Did you cycle this tank before putting the fish in? If not, you're going to have a problem especially with sensitive angelfish.

CAEs become rather aggressive as they grow and if you look at the adult size of all these fish, your tank will be overcrowded.
seAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 07:33 PM   #3
BlueDevil

I filled the 28-gallon tank up with my established 180-gallon tank and I used a running filter from my 10-gallon tank. So the water and filter is good. The CAE will be removed once they get bigger, they are very small right now. Are the CAE safe for plants? Is there an 18" bulb i can use besides by stock one or I need to add another light?
BlueDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 10:13 PM   #4
seAdams
Planted Tank Obsessed

AFAIK, there is no 18" bulb with higher wattage. I removed mine and modified the hood so I could use two compact fluorescent bulbs at whatever wattage I desire. This is working very well!

Keep an eye on the CAEs. They do like to attach themselves to slow moving flat bodied fish like Angels and discus and suck the slime coat off them.

I doubt they'll harm plants though.
seAdams is offline   Reply With Quote