Lighting for 72x18x23 (125 gallon)
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Lighting

Old 09-17-2008, 11:39 PM   #1
jjp2
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)
Send a message via MSN to jjp2

Lighting for 72x18x23 (125 gallon)

I'm working on getting the items needed to upgrade. Got everything, including a start on the lights. I got 2 - 2 bulb 36 inch 39 watt T5 TEKII retrofits ordered. http://www.aquabuys.com/miva/merchan...roduct_Count=9

I currently run pressured CO2, do EI dosing on the 55 gallon that this will replace. I do have high light plants such as Limnophila aromatica, Eustralis stellata, swords and rotala sp vietnam.

After reviewing lots of threads and posts, I have the following questions

My question is are these enough light and what bulbs should I use?

Thanks,
jjp2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-17-2008, 11:58 PM   #2
macclellan
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (208/100%)

The first line of your post is ambiguous - Do you mean that you ordered 2 2x39w kits, that is, 4x39w total or just 2x39w? Either way, I don't think it will be enough for those plants. You'll want at least 6x39w and 8x39w for very good coloration in my opinion. If it were me, I'd just get 4x80w 72" or even 6x80w (like this). I have 4x54w on my 48" 75g for reference and can grow all those plants, which is about the same as 4x80w on a 72" 125g. I'd like the extra 2xbulbs for a noon burst on mine, and you might too.

It's funny you ask for lighting advice after you buy a light.
macclellan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-18-2008, 12:47 AM   #3
jjp2
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks for pointing out the mistype (I atttempted to fix it).

I had thought about the 80Watts but they are only 60 inches and I would have to stagger them to get full coverage.

I asked the question after I ordered as I knew I definitedly needed the 2 fixtures which give me 2 bulbs across the entire tank at 156 watts. I wasn't sure if I needed to add one more fixture to get another bulb over the tank (another 78 watts) or 2 fixtures to get 2 bulbs over the tank (another 156 watts).

Also not sure which bulbs to order. I've seen posts where the Giesemann's bulbs have a very good spectrum, while others like the GE 9325, while some just mix 6700K and 10000K to get the look they want.
Old 09-18-2008, 06:13 AM   #4
lauraleellbp
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)

No one makes 9325k T5HO bulbs, which is what you need for Teks.

IMO you don't need 6 bulbs, 4 should be a gracious plenty- especially with Teks.

Giesemann does make the top-of-the-line T5HO bulb ATM, so I'd go with those for sure.

Most common choices would be 6k, 8k, 10k, and AquaFlora. If it were my fixture, I'd get all of them to mix and match and see which ones you like best. All of them are great for plant growth; so it boils down to which ones you think LOOK the best.

I'm personally about to add a Giesemann AquaFlora bulb to my fixture (if it ever gets here...); this is a pink bulb that's supposed to be awesome for red plants.
Tampa Bay Aquarium Society - Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!
TBAS Annual Fish Auction - November 1st!!

lauraleellbp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-18-2008, 02:28 PM   #5
jjp2
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I was thinking I needed a total of 3,4, or 5 bulbs over the tank. By building the canopy and using retrofits, I can add as needed.

Curious to hear if that pink bulb casts a pink glow or if its white like what I've heard about the other Giesemann bulbs.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.