Where to by flourescent lights?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Lighting

Old 05-25-2004, 12:07 AM   #1
twostep
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Where to by flourescent lights?

I need lights that are about 6 inches long and only 1.5 inches in diameter. I went to home depot and they didn't have any that thin. Anybody have any place online I could buy from?

They are normal screw in size.
twostep is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-25-2004, 01:33 AM   #2
Rolo
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)

I don't know of any screw-in (supposedly compact fluorescents?) are that thin. They don't come in one tube styles, by rather as double tube, quad tube, or helix (most common). Usually the 6 inch, 1.5 inch diameter ones are incandescent.
Rolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2004, 02:44 AM   #3
Rikko
Algae Grower

Send a message via ICQ to Rikko Send a message via AIM to Rikko

I've never seen any with that thin a profile either. Are you just trying to screw them into a standard incandescent aquarium fixture? The type where the two sockets are in the middle? If so, there are bulbs you can fit in there. The ones in our store are from Envirolite and will fit those fixtures. I believe the 7W, 11W, and 14W bulbs will fit it - any larger and they are too fat to sit in the fixtures.
You could try phoning pet stores and hydroponics shops and seeing if they carry Envirolite compact fluorescents. Barring that, a larger aquarium specialty store will probably carry a similar line.
And barring THAT, try a hardware store and the lighting section - I've seen a few conpact fluoros that would fit as well, but the light output was a rather ugly yellow.
Rikko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2004, 03:03 AM   #4
bharada
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

Are you trying to retrofit a fixture or are you actually looking for replacement bulbs? Like Rolo said, all the screw-in CF bulbs have a pretty wide base (>2").

AH Supply has a 13W CF retrofit kit. The bulb should be close to meeting your size requirements, but the reflector is 8" x 3" x 1.5". You should give them a call and see if they can recommend anything. I know there are 13W CF bulbs (4 tube PLC type) that are only 4.5" long and 1.375" wide.
bharada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2004, 02:14 PM   #5
twostep
Algae Grower

I Bought an aquarium kit and it came with a hood. The hood has two incandescent lights in the middle, pointing opposite directions. They are 6 inches long and about 1.5 wide. There isn't much clearance for a bulb much bigger than that. All the screw-in flourescent lights I saw where about 3 incehs wide which is a tad too big. I'll take a picture tonight and post it...maybe that will help
twostep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2004, 03:17 PM   #6
Wasserpest
Are these real?

PTrader: (175/100%)

Walmart (some? all?) sells very slim 10 Watt lights in their pet section. 6500K, U-shaped bulbs rather than spiral shaped. I use two of them for my 10 gal, works great with good reflectors.
Wasserpest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2004, 08:48 PM   #7
Georgiadawgger
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)

Wasserpest is right. I just got back from Walmart with one of those little fluorescent bulbs. They're about $4.50. I'm taking my GF's empty 2.5 g betta tank and using it as a plant prop tank with clippings.
Old 05-25-2004, 08:59 PM   #8
GDominy
Planted Tank VIP

Here is a link to a previous post I made about hte Panasonic screw in Bulbs... the smallers ones (14 watt) can easily fit into really tight canopies without modification or ventilation (they are designed to work in moist air and high heat)

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...ight=Panasonic
GDominy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2004, 10:12 PM   #9
jart
Wannabe Guru

yeah i know what you're talking about twostep. in the past i have gutted such a store-bought hood, then remounted the fixture with a spacer so the fluorsecent screw in bulbs would fit. this was a major pita, and the whole assembly turned out kind of awkward looking. hopefully wasser's idea will help you. i guess that's how he got to be moderator!

(while i am typing i see gareth has chimed in too!)
jart is offline   Reply With Quote