How many of you use the DIY jello co2 model?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > DIY

Old 09-07-2008, 06:11 AM   #1
hungtran10
Algae Grower

PTrader: (5/100%)

How many of you use the DIY jello co2 model?

I recently embarked upon the DIY co2 yeast mixture/soda bottle "adventure." I was searching the forums to find a recipe that would yield the longest co2 output and came across a recipe that uses jello.

I was curious as to how many of you guys use this jello recipe and how long your co2 lasts before you have to prepare another batch.

Thanks.

- Hung

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ta...ut-now-hi.html

My photography collection:

http://hungtran.zenfolio.com/
hungtran10 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2008, 02:02 PM   #2
CaffeinatedCake
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)

I've never really heard any solid info behind the jello method, but I know that wine yeast can last you up to around 3-4 weeks on up to like, 2-3liter bottle, I think.

I'm kind of interested in this too, if anyone has tried it.
CaffeinatedCake is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2008, 09:52 PM   #3
kotoeloncat
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (125/100%)

before I went on a long hiatus (2 years + ago) I had used jello Co2 to power my 125 and it worked well for a period of time. back then during the summer a gallon bottle of jello lasted me around a week or so, but it was quite inconsistent

my recipe I think was, 2 packets of jello, 2 cups of water, 1 cup sugar. once the jello sets, I added another 4 cups of warm water along with the yeast

The thread is here somewhere,
Old 09-09-2008, 01:15 AM   #4
ikuzo
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via Yahoo to ikuzo

i used this method for more than a year. the output is small but can hold for a month. but because of the small output, i get BBA easily. now i'm using the normal method.
Old 09-10-2008, 08:51 AM   #5
DiscusIt'sWhats4DinneR
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (9/100%)

i dont know who came up with this jello thing but i dont see where it would benefit anything. that reminds me, i hate jello. i never liked eating it. ever.

sugar and yeast cause fermentation. gelatin is just not a part of that equation. it has no place in there.

if you want to mix up some variation on the thing experiment with champagne or brewers yeast and add a bit more sugar to the mix. then see what happens. it is possible that much more sugar would not be soluble in that amount of water but i do not know any specifics, that is for you to try out, and experiment with larger containers, gallon jugs and such.

stick to the basics and leave the jello shots for the little girls.
Old 09-10-2008, 03:23 PM   #6
ingg
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (43/100%)

The gelatin controls access to the sugar. The yeast must eat and liquify the gelatin to get to more sugar.

I've done both ways, it does last longer in gelatin, and does have lower output - but more steady output, too. No starting like gangbusters and petering out steadily over a week, it goes steady for a couple weeks instead.
ingg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2008, 04:56 PM   #7
h2osanity
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

I find adding 4 tbsp uncooked rice makes the mixture last as well, like 4-5 weeks in a 3 l jug. I then use the resulting alcohol mixture to dump on weeds in my driveway
Old 09-23-2008, 08:03 PM   #8
epicfish
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (266/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscusIt'sWhats4DinneR View Post
i dont know who came up with this jello thing but i dont see where it would benefit anything. that reminds me, i hate jello. i never liked eating it. ever.

sugar and yeast cause fermentation. gelatin is just not a part of that equation. it has no place in there.

if you want to mix up some variation on the thing experiment with champagne or brewers yeast and add a bit more sugar to the mix. then see what happens. it is possible that much more sugar would not be soluble in that amount of water but i do not know any specifics, that is for you to try out, and experiment with larger containers, gallon jugs and such.

stick to the basics and leave the jello shots for the little girls.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ingg View Post
The gelatin controls access to the sugar. The yeast must eat and liquify the gelatin to get to more sugar.

I've done both ways, it does last longer in gelatin, and does have lower output - but more steady output, too. No starting like gangbusters and petering out steadily over a week, it goes steady for a couple weeks instead.

Yep. I've seen someone supplying CO2 to their 75g with 4x3L bottles, each replaced in a staggered pattern with a Jell-O(TM) mix...consistent results, quite a bit of production, also, actually, but then again, it was 4x3L bottles.
epicfish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
co2, diy, jello

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.