Dwarf Hairgrass (Eleocharis parvula) - Give it a chance?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Plants

Old 08-30-2008, 07:01 AM   #1
Aquarist_Fist
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)

Dwarf Hairgrass (Eleocharis parvula) - Give it a chance?

So, I have a couple of bushes in my 15g (DIY CO2, Excel, Flourish line). Even though I planted them in rather large chunks, they seem to have rooted fine and are sending out little stems.

My problem is that light on the ground is becoming scarce. Theoretically, I have 60w over 15g, but due to poor design of the canopy I would estimate max. 3 wpg with some darker spots in the back of the tank.

I have four small swords in the tank, which are just exploding, as well as some Brazilian Pennywort, which seems to climb everywhere. There are also some floaters. This is all desired as I'm keeping killi species who become very nervous without their shade.

Does the hairgrass have a future at all? Should I rip it out and replace it with clover or something? Or should I give it a chance?
Pimp Club Member #313

Originally Posted by macclellan
my personal favorite is Random Capitalization. It is so Very fun and Surprising.
Aquarist_Fist is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2008, 08:38 AM   #2
jaidexl
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (42/100%)

Eleocharis does not require high light contrary to web myth. That said, a carpet in lower light is much easier to accomplish if you plant the entire intended area with separate blades (not completely separated, 4 or 5 blades maybe) rather than allowing it to spread from one clump. If it's growing then I would just let it be or spread it out, don't give up. I'll try to find the tank pic that Tom Barr posted of a hairgrass carpet under 1.7 watts per gallon...
jaidexl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2008, 08:42 AM   #3
jaidexl
Planted Tank Guru

Here it is, another debunk, gotta love it...

Old 08-30-2008, 08:46 AM   #4
MedRed
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)

i was just going to say, if it's the plant you want... give it a shot and see what happens.

I have slain all of the Dragons! You owe me!
MedRed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2008, 10:06 AM   #5
SearunSimpson
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

Jaid, you tank is looking spot-on!
What bunch plant is that on the right side that is coming out of the dw?

"You think you have tomorrow, but when tomorrow comes it's not tomorrow; it's now- and that's all you have" - Marc Johnson
Ehei-Pimpfen 276 yo!
SearunSimpson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2008, 10:21 AM   #6
jaidexl
Planted Tank Guru

You mean the tank I posted above? That's not mine actually, it's in a store somewhere in CA I believe, Tom would know the specifics. Anyway, i think that's overgrown rotala sp. 'green' that you're referring to, there's also needle leaf microsorum on the far right and some hidden on the left. Tom has a pic of the tank with a much better trim but I can't seem to find it.
Old 08-30-2008, 03:15 PM   #7
ColeMan
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaidexl View Post
Eleocharis does not require high light contrary to web myth. That said, a carpet in lower light is much easier to accomplish if you plant the entire intended area with separate blades (not completely separated, 4 or 5 blades maybe) rather than allowing it to spread from one clump.
I have found this to be the case in my experience as well. Although I do have the option of running 216w of T5 light, I don't do it that often. Instead a rely on one bank of 108w of T5 light (for reference, I have a 90g tank). One would think that this would have had a detrimental impact on my hairgrass, but in fact it seems to grow just fine.

I followed the planting techniques described above (careful separation into small plugs with only a few blades of grass/plug) and "grew it in" under high light conditions. However, I did remove a chunk of hairgrass near the front of the tank and replanted it with plugs as mentioned, and even under the "low light" conditions, it's growing in thick and healthy. Interestingly, the bank of lights that is on is the one that's in the back, so this would mean that the hairgrass is receiving an even lower light intensity. The hairgrass has even grown in (though not very thick) under my blyxa, where there is essentially no light at all reaching the substrate. Of course since the plant is photosynthesizing as intensively, the color is not as vibrant green as the other, but it's to be expected.

I like this for a couple of reasons, not the least of which being I can control my growth rates and run a really lean doing schedule with no ill effects (ie algae). I'm not having to trim the tank every week, I'm using less electricity, my tanks temp is more constant, and my ferts are lasting longer. Seems like a win-win to me.
ColeMan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2008, 03:42 PM   #8
Aquarist_Fist
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)

Awesome, that gives me hope. Thanks everyone, and happy Gameday!
Pimp Club Member #313

Originally Posted by macclellan
my personal favorite is Random Capitalization. It is so Very fun and Surprising.
Aquarist_Fist is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2008, 04:21 PM   #9
ikuzo
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via Yahoo to ikuzo

i would say i got scared at first trying hairgrass, but i'm happy with the results. go for it!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.