Height for Canopy
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > DIY

Old 05-04-2004, 07:20 PM   #1
Fosty
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (30/100%)

What is the best height for a canopy? Is there a standard size? Are there any disadvantages to making a short canopy?

Thanks
Filstar Pimp #26
38 Gallon
20 Gallon Long

"keep on keepin' on!"
Fosty is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2004, 08:06 PM   #2
SCMurphy
PT Biologist

PTrader: (4/100%)

I have learned through poor planning that there is a way to gage what might be a good canopy height.
(1) is to know how much room you need to work in the tank. I need a good 10 inches to work under a canopy that is not rolled back or removed.

(2) is to design the Canopy to be 1/3 or so of the height of the stand. This sets up a proportional arraingement around the tank that is almost aesthetically pleasing.

Aquascape? I'm a crypt farmer.

It's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore looking like an idiot.

That IS an aquascape, it's titled "The Vacant Lot".
SCMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2004, 08:41 PM   #3
Wasserpest
Are these real?

PTrader: (174/100%)

I would try to build canopies as short as possible and as high as necessary.

Necessary meaning it needs to enclose bulbs and reflectors, and the front panel should cover any space above the water surface.

The type of lamps/reflectors often determines the minimum height.
Wasserpest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2004, 09:26 PM   #4
Fosty
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I have a AHsupply's 55 an 13 watt bright kits. They don't need all that much clearence. I was origionally planning for it to be 6" high, but I would need to get a second birch 2'X4' for $12 more dollars. I really didn't want to have to spend that much more just to use a tiny little piece of it when I could just make it 4 3/4" and use the one piece. It sounds like that will work though.

THanks
Filstar Pimp #26
38 Gallon
20 Gallon Long

"keep on keepin' on!"
Old 05-05-2004, 05:44 AM   #5
Daemonfly
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

I have a 55w AHSupply kit over my 20g long. The way it's mounted, it's about ~4"-" from the water surface. If I were to do it over, I'd make it higher, due to light spread. It's designed to be fully "openable" so thats not a factor.

Looks good though, :

http://www.daemonfly.com/images/20g/20preview1.jpg
http://www.daemonfly.com/images/20g/20preview2.jpg
http://www.daemonfly.com/images/20g/20preview3.jpg
Daemonfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2004, 04:35 PM   #6
malkore
Planted Tank Guru

On the two canopies I made, I used 1x8" boards. The canopy comes down far enuf to totally cover the trim around the top of the tank, adn that leave about 3" between the glass tops, and my AH supply reflectors.
You could always use dowel rods as spacers to lower the lighting brackets if you feel you're losing intensity from the extra 3".
Filstar XP2 PIMP #3
Visit my aquarium pages - see specs on my tanks, and photos of how they've evolved
malkore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2004, 01:04 AM   #7
Fosty
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemonfly
I have a 55w AHSupply kit over my 20g long. The way it's mounted, it's about ~4"-" from the water surface. If I were to do it over, I'd make it higher, due to light spread. It's designed to be fully "openable" so thats not a factor.
What do you mean by light spread, are you having problems with it spreading front to back, or on the sides? I don't think i'll have a problem getting light to the sides with the 55 and the 13 watt kits, but I hadn't even thought about front to back.
Filstar Pimp #26
38 Gallon
20 Gallon Long

"keep on keepin' on!"
Old 05-12-2004, 04:11 AM   #8
Daemonfly
Planted Tank Obsessed

Well, the sides are a bit of an issue as the 55w kit just isn't wide enough for good coverage on the 20g long. If I plant stem plants on the sides, then they grow diagonal to the center.

Front to back is mainly the issue. These fixtures are good, but if not that high over the tank, then most of the light is focused in a narrow "band" down the center of the tank, IME. This is also due to the 20g long being quite shallow.
Old 05-12-2004, 07:37 PM   #9
Fosty
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Would bending the reflector out a bit and flaten it a little possible help the problem, or just make it worse?
Filstar Pimp #26
38 Gallon
20 Gallon Long

"keep on keepin' on!"
Old 05-12-2004, 08:15 PM   #10
Wasserpest
Are these real?

PTrader: (174/100%)

That would help a little bit as it increases the angle. But I think what DF refers to is the LENGTH of the kit, which doesn't cover the length of the tank, and there isn't much you can do about it.
Wasserpest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2004, 10:37 PM   #11
Basilisk
Planted Member

I have right now a 4 inch tall canopy and I don't like it. Too tall for me, and it covers all the tank., and although it can be opened, I hate having such a big thing over it. I am going back to my cheap DIY lighting enclosure ( http://<a href="http://www.plantedta...php?t=7019</a> ), it was more comfortable to work with that. I have also made a second one, and will place it on the front to have complete lighting. They are so light that I can remove them quite easily if I need even more space to work than they already allow. There wasn't any problem about height and light dispersion (even if so, most high-light plants are on the middle to the rear, and crypts use most of the front).

But that's just what I like.
Old 05-16-2004, 04:04 AM   #12
Daemonfly
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fosty
Would bending the reflector out a bit and flaten it a little possible help the problem, or just make it worse?
I've recently tried bending the reflector out a bit, but don't have an opinion on it quite yet. I'd have to trim back a lot of my overgrown :roll: plants to be able to get a good judgement.