Fallen Tree Branch 60cm (new Ecoxotic E-Series 8/27) - Page 30
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 08-25-2014, 05:02 AM   #436
mlongpre dxYh

PTrader: (0/0%)

Incredible...
Advertisement

Old 08-25-2014, 06:32 PM   #437
kman
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherHobby View Post
I think the Ludwigia Red will survive. All of the big leaves have dropped, but each plant has 4 or 5 off shoots with new growth. It'll take a long time to grow them back, I think I can save them.

I realized another stupid mistake today. I'm not sure when this happened, but I'd guess it was sometime in the last month. I've never had a thermometer on my tank, but today I finally hooked up my iAqua controller and was a bit shocked when it powered up and said 81.5 in red letters with my warning icon, and it immediately powered off the heater outlet. I looked at my hydor heater, and at some point must have bumped the dial. It was set to between 81 and 82. Ugh... not good. Several hours later it was still at 79.8, so I did a 50% water change with 72 water to bring it down to 76.
Yikes! Good thing your new toy will help make mistakes like this easier to catch. Do think the extra few degrees of heat are what made your Ludwigia drop it's leaves? What's your usual temp? Mine is usually around 78, +/- a few tenths of a degree.

Might be a good idea to tape that heating dial in place. A few inches of scotch tape won't leave much residue, if any, and will help stop issues like this before they happen.

Funny, I've read about this happening with those Hydor inline heaters a number of times. It's one reason (of several) why I decided to go with a housed Eheim Jager inline heater instead, even though it's bulkier and more of a PITA than the Hydor.
Old 08-26-2014, 03:56 AM   #438
lamiskool
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)

drooool.....I know who im coming too when I want to upgrade my control setup lol
Old 08-26-2014, 04:37 AM   #439
Xzavier247
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

Subbed, This tank is a different type of animal.
Old 08-26-2014, 09:37 PM   #440
pandacory
Planted Tank Enthusiast

So awesome! Subbed, so that I can come back later and steal your secrets.
pandacory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 11:10 PM   #441
kman
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Also, in case anybody is curious, here is my dosing mix:

Marco Mix (mixed into 16 ounces of water)
2 tbsp KNO3
1.5 tsp KH2PO4
1.5 tsp K2SO4

Micro Mix (mixed into 16 ounces of water)
1.5 tsp Micros
3/4 tsp Iron

16 ounces of water with those amounts provides 48 doses of 10 mL each, matching the recommended EI dosing amounts for a tank this size. The only variance from standard EI dosing is the extra Iron in the micro mix. I do that for the red plants.

With 6 doses per week, that's exactly 8 weeks of dosing. So I get 2 months out of each mix. I got the ferts from GLA.
Quote:
Normally I'm good with my math, but for some reason it escaped me that my dosing is every other day from each tube. Thus it's 3 doses per week from each tube, and not 6. I just looked at my ferts and wondered why they are only about 1/2 empty on Friday. It dawned on me that 60 mL of 10 mL doses is two weeks.
As I just mentioned in the iAqua thread, my EI ferts came in from GLA today. Since we have the same size tanks, and the plant quantity is similar (enough), and the same lights (well, up until your new toy arrived), I'm going to assume I can copy your EI schedule as well.

The mixing instructions are clear (dump x amount of the respective powders into 16 ml of water), but I have a couple of quick questions, if you don't mind:

1) Do you use distilled water to mix, or just tap water?

2) And just to confirm the schedule, you do 3 days of macros (10 ml per dose), and 3 days of micros (also 10 ml), and on the 7th day you rest?

3) What about Excel? Use any? (I know some mix it into one or the other of their solutions, both as an easy way to add to the tank all at once, and as an algae retardant within the solution)

4) Should I worry about our respective KH and GH levels?

Daily dosing is going to be a PITA until I get those auto-dosers set up, but at least is seems pretty straightfoward. I assume I can just dump in the 10 ml dose when I feed them. My fish get to fast on Sundays, so that works out well, too.
Old 08-27-2014, 02:20 AM   #442
AnotherHobby
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kman View Post
1) Do you use distilled water to mix, or just tap water?
I used distilled because everybody said, then I just started using tap. I noticed no difference for me (no difference in mold or anything), and it's convenient.

Quote:
2) And just to confirm the schedule, you do 3 days of macros (10 ml per dose), and 3 days of micros (also 10 ml), and on the 7th day you rest?
Yes and no. I dose macros/micros on every other day and not on Sunday, but I rest every day because iAqua.

Quote:
3) What about Excel? Use any? (I know some mix it into one or the other of their solutions, both as an easy way to add to the tank all at once, and as an algae retardant within the solution)
I do squirt some excel into the mix if I notice some mold in it, but otherwise I don't. I only use it in my tank when I've done an H2O2 algae treatment. It's a good follow up. For feeding plants, it's only purpose it a source of carbon, but straight CO2 is a better source of carbon for plants. So it's not needed.

Quote:
4) Should I worry about our respective KH and GH levels?
I don't know. I use aquasoil to buffer it, but other wise don't take much concern with hardness unless I'm selecting new fish, so as to not choose a software fish. You may want to look into it more.

Quote:
Daily dosing is going to be a PITA until I get those auto-dosers set up, but at least is seems pretty straightfoward. I assume I can just dump in the 10 ml dose when I feed them. My fish get to fast on Sundays, so that works out well, too.
A cheap 10 mL syringe makes it even easier.
AnotherHobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 03:14 AM   #443
kman
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Har-har! . One of these days I won't be dosing every day, either, LOL

I have 10 ml syringes, all set to go there.

Thanks!
Old 08-27-2014, 03:28 AM   #444
pewpewkittah
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by kman View Post
Har-har! . One of these days I won't be dosing every day, either, LOL

I have 10 ml syringes, all set to go there.

Thanks!
You're making me one of those fancy pants controllers, right!?

pewpewkittah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 01:04 AM   #445
AnotherHobby
Wannabe Guru

Not a beauty shot down below by any means — all my gear is in the tank and the plants need a trim — but I wanted to show my new E-Series! I still need to paint the light bar black and get nice hanging hardware, but my ghetto job will do until I get the time. The light looks fantastic! I'm so happy I have my open tank back! I loved the dual Sat Plus setup, but it was a little tedious having them blocking tank access all the time.

I managed to bend an almost perfect ADA-style light bar from 1/2" conduit... on my third try.

I was smart and bought 4 pieces 5' long knowing I'd need more than 1 practice to get it perfect.

Now I have to decode a few remote buttons. I need R, G, B, and W up and down, and the 4 memory keys for my iAqua controller before I go to bed.

Old 08-28-2014, 01:40 AM   #446
mistuhmarc
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Ohhh, another ecoxotic. It definitely brought out the color in your tank. It looks fantastic!
Old 08-28-2014, 03:16 AM   #447
AnotherHobby
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistuhmarc View Post
Ohhh, another ecoxotic. It definitely brought out the color in your tank. It looks fantastic!
Thanks!

Here are 2 pictures of my $3 ADA style light bar before I paint it black. If it were stainless I'd leave it, but I don't like the look of galvanized steel.

Also, I just cant get over how awesome the shimmer is with this light! It's in the middle of fading through sunset here.

Last edited by AnotherHobby; 08-28-2014 at 03:30 AM.. Reason: clarity
Old 08-28-2014, 03:35 AM   #448
Xzavier247
Algae Grower

What are you shooting with? Lens FS? Pictures are amazing.
Old 08-28-2014, 04:15 AM   #449
talontsiawd
Planted Tank Guru

Send a message via AIM to talontsiawd

Tank looks amazing and the light bar came out great. One thing I never realized is how much more substrate you have than I. I don't have any slopes so I used the recommended least amount and seeing your tank from that angle, you loose about 1 in compared to my setup which I always said, I wish I could take an inch off the height. I may do on my next try, looks great like that. Love the journal, I know your controller has been a significant part of your contributions to the forum lately, trust me, very impressed with that but I just love seeing the tank.
talontsiawd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 04:38 AM   #450
mistuhmarc
Planted Tank Enthusiast

How are you hanging your light? It looks like you improvised a type of wiring there to make it. I want to raise mine in my rack to allow the light to disperse better.