"Kopje" 60F
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 08-05-2014, 03:59 AM   #1
BeastMaster
Darth Rhymlz

PTrader: (1/100%)

"Kopje" 60F

Won a ADA 60F @ a local planted tank contest hosted by LFS "Aquascapes". All I've got right now is the tank and the stand (Closetmaid 9 cube storage unit). Will be doing another DSM in AquaSoil w/Monte Carlo this time and using smooth river stones from a local stream to form a mini kopje rock formation. Equipment line-up:

lighting: Finnex 24" Fugeray/DIY acrylic leg extensions
filtration: Ehiem 2211/Do Aqua mini violet pipes
CO2: paintball 24oz cylinder/Aquatek mini regulator/UpAqua 12/16mm inline atomizer
substrate: AquaSoil Amazonia normal
hardscape: smooth river stones (local)
flora: Micrantherum umbrosum
fauna: wild Neocardina davidi & school of fish?

Going stone collecting this week. Pics to follow.
Eheim Pimp #540 Finnex Member #11 ADA Gentleman #6 60F Club 12G Club 60P Club BeastMaster Project Tanks

Last edited by BeastMaster; 08-05-2014 at 08:34 PM.. Reason: Additional info
BeastMaster is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2014, 04:38 AM   #2
BeastMaster
Darth Rhymlz

Came back from local stream last week w/7 lava river stones which have been disinfected.

Picked up today:
Finnex 24" Fugeray
ADA AquaSoil Amazonia
DoAqua mini violet intake & output glass pipes

Will probably p/u more smaller river stones tomorrow and start playing with the hardscape. Soon I'll be hitting up TPT members for some Monte Carlo!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	359090  

Eheim Pimp #540 Finnex Member #11 ADA Gentleman #6 60F Club 12G Club 60P Club BeastMaster Project Tanks
Old 08-21-2014, 03:23 PM   #3
Sajeev
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

updates ?
Sajeev is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-21-2014, 03:55 PM   #4
raven_wilde
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)

I'd reconsider the Closetmaid unit as a stand - I had one of those (for office storage) a while back and it was a total piece of junk... alright for storing paperwork, etc. but wobbly from the start, definitely would not trust it to hold a tank.
Old 08-21-2014, 07:35 PM   #5
talontsiawd
Planted Tank Guru

Send a message via AIM to talontsiawd

Quote:
Originally Posted by raven_wilde View Post
I'd reconsider the Closetmaid unit as a stand - I had one of those (for office storage) a while back and it was a total piece of junk... alright for storing paperwork, etc. but wobbly from the start, definitely would not trust it to hold a tank.
I would as well. I am usually the type to say anything can hold a 5 gallon tank but I don't really trust that particular thing freestanding, it's much weaker than the Ikea ones.
talontsiawd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-21-2014, 10:36 PM   #6
BeastMaster
Darth Rhymlz

Quote:
Originally Posted by raven_wilde View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by talontsiawd View Post
I would as well. I am usually the type to say anything can hold a 5 gallon tank but I don't really trust that particular thing freestanding, it's much weaker than the Ikea ones.

Appreciate the concerns. The only thing I can say in defense is all my project indoor tanks except my 60P (on a night stand) have been on Closetmaid storage units from the start. So far so good, have been very careful w/H2O exposure & storage units are selected for support members being in strategic position.

Played with hardscape today & this is my 1st iteration. Feels good but want to let it sink in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-22-2014, 12:06 AM   #7
ThatGuyWithTheFish
perugiae

PTrader: (23/100%)

I wanna win an ADA tank

"Boulders-Upon-Meadow"

My Golden Rule of planted tanks: WWTAD-
"What would Takashi Amano do?"

RAOK Club #69
ThatGuyWithTheFish is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2014, 12:43 AM   #8
BeastMaster
Darth Rhymlz

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatGuyWithTheFish View Post
I wanna win an ADA tank

Enter a planted tank contest w/ a unique display & hope for the best. Good luck!

Want to say that this scape is inspired by a fellow TPT member & owner of the LFS "Aquasapes". This much Pa Hai stone would have put this scape out of my budget range but luckily, Hawaii's local streams have lots of similar rock type to choose from.

Tightened up some groupings, elevated some of the stones & back filled some of the areas w/ AquaSoil. I'm pretty sure of this edition so, am ready to plant. Got lots of trimming in a couple of other tanks so may plant w/ HC instead of Monte Carlo.

What does everybody think? Does it resemble a Kopje rock formation in an African savanna?

Last edited by BeastMaster; 08-22-2014 at 02:26 AM.. Reason: grammar
Old 08-23-2014, 11:41 PM   #9
BeastMaster
Darth Rhymlz

Went ahead and ordered Monte Carlo for this project. While I'm waiting for it to arrive, tinkered around w/ the hardscape some more. Will post final hardscape pics just before I start planting.

Old 08-24-2014, 03:28 AM   #10
pseudomugil
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Looks awesome, I had to do a quick wikipedia search on Kopje (I found out that they are about the same as what I know as a monadnock) and it does look like one!
good luck!
pseudomugil is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-25-2014, 06:47 AM   #11
BeastMaster
Darth Rhymlz

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudomugil View Post
Looks awesome, I had to do a quick wikipedia search on Kopje (I found out that they are about the same as what I know as a monadnock) and it does look like one!
good luck!
Thanks man. I had to google monadnock. Just waiting on Monte Carlo so I can start DSM.

Just a little more shifting, a little more lifting, tightening up some of the groupings.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2501.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	361858  

Name:	IMG_2503.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	84.9 KB
ID:	361866  

Old 08-28-2014, 02:58 AM   #12
BeastMaster
Darth Rhymlz

Default "Kopje" 60F

This is it! This is the final hardscape layout. Started out w/ 5 large focal stones of which 2 were oriented vertically, the others positioned horizontally. 13 complimentary medium sized stones were placed in close proximity to the focal stones to link them together. Finally 10 small filler stones were added to gaps left by complimentary stones. The focal stones and a majority of the complimentary stones are anchored in the AquaSoil to maintain the slope elevations. Waiting for the Monte Carlo to start DSM. Comments?

Old 08-28-2014, 03:08 AM   #13
AquaAurora
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (11/100%)

Its cool getting to see your constant adjustments. Latest photos make the scape reminiscent of a path or stream coming down from the back/upper area.
Awesome looking rocks btw. Did you test them to see if they effect hardness?
AquaAurora is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-28-2014, 04:53 AM   #14
BeastMaster
Darth Rhymlz

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaAurora View Post
Its cool getting to see your constant adjustments. Latest photos make the scape reminiscent of a path or stream coming down from the back/upper area.
Awesome looking rocks btw. Did you test them to see if they effect hardness?

Thanks. During earlier editions, viewing the scape left w/ the feeling of it being incomplete. The addition of the smaller filler stones to me, gave it a finished boulder strewn look. I know it's kind of anal but, needed the three stone sizes to complete the scape.

The stones are basalt w/some iron content. Not too concerned w/effects on water hardness (AquaSoil substrate provides a good buffer). Thanks for looking!

Old 08-30-2014, 08:49 AM   #15
BeastMaster
Darth Rhymlz

The Monte Carlo arrived today (thx H4N) so cut up nodes & planted. A 2"x4" section was just enough to provide needed coverage. A back right elevated section was left uncovered for a different yet undetermined planting.

Day 1 of DSM. Based on my past experience w/ HC going thru Dry Start, will attempt to keep this substrate drier by not fully sealing the top w/ cellophane, misting w/ tap water only as needed.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.