12G Club: Got a 12 GalloN RimlesS or wanna get 1? PoSt/SeE HeRe! - Page 106
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 08-21-2014, 12:05 AM   #1576
MsNemoShrimp
ღ Miss ShrimpTastic! ஐ...

PTrader: (403/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai808 View Post
Last pic before I break the tank down.

So pretty! Too bad I have to do the same with mines too soon. School's back in about a month and my summer internship is almost over. 2nd year of Pharm is only getting harder :/
Advertisement

Old 08-26-2014, 08:44 AM   #1577
MsNemoShrimp

Anyone with a 12G Low-Iron already set up or close to? I am curious to see how clear the glass and silicon work is when it is fully set up.
Old 08-26-2014, 10:48 PM   #1578
water-kitties
Master of shrimp whiskers

PTrader: (12/100%)

I'll try to take a photo of mine, I am not very good at taking pictures though.

Edit:

Shrimperoo's waiting for the new house:

Last edited by water-kitties; 08-26-2014 at 11:07 PM.. Reason: added photo
water-kitties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 12:19 AM   #1579
Rockadoodle
Planted Member

PTrader: (16/100%)

Do you all find the 2213 to be enough flow when set up on each end? I might have my media over packed but seems sluggish
Old 08-27-2014, 01:00 AM   #1580
water-kitties

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockadoodle View Post
Do you all find the 2213 to be enough flow when set up on each end? I might have my media over packed but seems sluggish
No, there is flow there but on top I have a dead spot. In retrospect, I would have gotten a 2215 turned down. I might just add a small palm filter or sponge to the area.
Old 08-27-2014, 01:09 AM   #1581
Rockadoodle
Planted Member

PTrader: (16/100%)

Yea I agree I wish I went one up I am torn on adding a palm filter I have or buying aquatop ph-8 power head to toss in mine. Thoughts?
Old 08-27-2014, 01:32 AM   #1582
water-kitties

Personally, I like less in my tank. I think if the palm filter would be less intrusive I would go with that but the power head being less than 5 inches is tempting. I'm going to be keeping shrimp so whatever will be easier to shrimp proof will be my choice in the end.
Old 08-27-2014, 01:55 AM   #1583
MsNemoShrimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by water-kitties View Post
I'll try to take a photo of mine, I am not very good at taking pictures though.

Edit:

Shrimperoo's waiting for the new house:

Wow! Beautiful home for those White Bee's. They must be super comfy in there

The 12 low-iron doesn't look as clear as I would expected it, is it? Unless it's just low light around the tank that makes the glass look not that much different from the regular type. Only judging in person is the only way I guess. I think I spot something in your 12, looks like the Lily Pipe Set I RAOK out to you? Glad to see it being used!
Old 08-27-2014, 03:09 AM   #1584
water-kitties

--As a note for others who might want to know--

The low iron Mr.Aqua appears to be a bit lower in quality to the truaqua brand low iron tanks (which are close to ADA quality imo) in clarity and seam work. However, it still looks nice and you won't find another tank this dimensions unless you custom build it yourself. I can see the small difference in person between those two tanks. It might be because the Mr.Aquas glass is also much thicker then ada or truaqua low iron tanks. This may account for the lower clarity.

If you have the little extra $$ when buying a Mr. Aqua 12g long I would say get the low iron, if you don't you won't miss out too terribly.
Old 08-27-2014, 08:15 AM   #1585
MsNemoShrimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by water-kitties View Post
--As a note for others who might want to know--

The low iron Mr.Aqua appears to be a bit lower in quality to the truaqua brand low iron tanks (which are close to ADA quality imo) in clarity and seam work. However, it still looks nice and you won't find another tank this dimensions unless you custom build it yourself. I can see the small difference in person between those two tanks. It might be because the Mr.Aquas glass is also much thicker then ada or truaqua low iron tanks. This may account for the lower clarity.

If you have the little extra $$ when buying a Mr. Aqua 12g long I would say get the low iron, if you don't you won't miss out too terribly.
Thank you for the clarification in terms of the clarity. I hope someone could do like a side by side shot of the 12 regular and 12 low-iron to see if it's worth the price difference. Do you think the seam work is as good as TruAqua? ADA is almost unmatched so we'll leave that guy out of the race
Old 08-27-2014, 10:52 PM   #1586
water-kitties

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsNemoShrimp View Post
Thank you for the clarification in terms of the clarity. I hope someone could do like a side by side shot of the 12 regular and 12 low-iron to see if it's worth the price difference. Do you think the seam work is as good as TruAqua? ADA is almost unmatched so we'll leave that guy out of the race
No the seam work is not as good. It is a bit messier and more visible compared to my two truaquas. For the price I was a little disappointed but they hold the market for ready made tanks that size.
Old 08-28-2014, 01:05 PM   #1587
bsantucci
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)

I finally joined the club (kinda) after lurking here and loving all of your tanks. I had a small 10 gallon shell dwelling cichlid tank that had multiple spawns at once so I needed a larger footprint, but keeping the overall size down. This 12 long was a perfect way to do it.

I'm keeping the plant mass down since they dig as we know, so right now I just have some java ferns. Plan to add some anubias as well, but any other suggestions are welcome. I want to keep the plants confined to the side rocks only and behind them there is some space. I was thinking maybe crypts back there? I have a Current Satellite Plus as the lighting, keeping it low tech, only excel and flourish, root tabs as needed depending on where I go with plants.

Also another question for those running eheim classics, I bought a 2213 for this tank. How do you all run the spray bar length-wise? Have you just cut it to fit? Right now I'm just running the return pipe w/o it.

Last edited by bsantucci; 08-28-2014 at 01:09 PM.. Reason: lighting
bsantucci is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 11:45 PM   #1588
SevenportsJohn
Sponsor

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via Skype™ to SevenportsJohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsNemoShrimp View Post
Not sure why the hubbub over this but here are some side by side shots. Best I could do with my piece of junk phone and low lighting haha, looks clearer in person. On the 12 gallon long (MA-730) low irons there is sometimes a tiny bit of silicone left outside of the seam but it's not bad at all, gonna happen when we are only on our second production run of these. Should come to par with the rest on the next production run. But tbh we are splitting hairs here.

MA-730's reg and LI

MA-305's reg and LI

SevenportsJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 02:25 AM   #1589
talontsiawd
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to talontsiawd

Quote:
Originally Posted by SevenportsJohn View Post
Not sure why the hubbub over this but here are some side by side shots. Best I could do with my piece of junk phone and low lighting haha, looks clearer in person. On the 12 gallon long (MA-730) low irons there is sometimes a tiny bit of silicone left outside of the seam but it's not bad at all, gonna happen when we are only on our second production run of these. Should come to par with the rest on the next production run. But tbh we are splitting hairs here.
Good comparison. IMO, I would likely want a low iron version of this tank, that's me. I was gifted one and it's awesome but compared to my 60P, the green glass from not being high clarity is pretty noticeable, especially on the bottom pain that is much thicker than most glass on a smaller tank. The regular is a great tank and I don't think one would "miss out" if they wanted to save the money but if I bought mine, I would go low iron, I don't feel it's a big enough deal to replace mine with low iron though.

Last edited by talontsiawd; 08-29-2014 at 04:08 PM.. Reason: Confusion
talontsiawd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 07:13 AM   #1590
MsNemoShrimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by talontsiawd View Post
Good comparison. IMO, I would likely want a low iron version of this tank, that's me. I was gifted one and it's awesome but compared to my 60P, the low iron is pretty noticeable, especially on the bottom pain that is much thicker than most glass on a smaller tank. The regular is a great tank and I don't think one would "miss out" if they wanted to save the money but if I bought mine, I would go low iron, I wouldn't replace mine with low iron though.
Matt, a little confused about your statement. So you were gifted a low-iron or a regular 12? And when you meant pretty noticeable, is that in terms of the seam work or the clarity of the glass in the 60P? I know the regular 12, the bottom glass is almost 2x as thick as the side walls - that's something I hope would change in the low iron 12, but it doesn't seem like that's the case. Just hope that the clarity of the glass is really good so that part isn't even noticeable. I really wanna pick one up and give a through review on it

Tags
12 gallon long, 12 gallon rimless, mr aqua, nano tanks, stand