Co2 Diffuser- 55 long (48in)
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 08-27-2014, 07:00 AM   #1
JxL
Algae Grower

PTrader: (7/100%)

Co2 Diffuser- 55 long (48in)

Hi all,

Looking for a Co2 diffuser for my 55 gallon, 48 in tank. I know that reactors might be more efficient but I would really prefer not to buy a reactor due to cost and leakage worries.

Is this a good diffuser for my tank? -
Amazon.com: Rhinox 5000 - Glass Reactor for Aquarium Plants CO2 Diffuser Pollen Aquarium Ada Beetle: Patio, Lawn & Garden Amazon.com: Rhinox 5000 - Glass Reactor for Aquarium Plants CO2 Diffuser Pollen Aquarium Ada Beetle: Patio, Lawn & Garden

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Regards

Last edited by JxL; 08-27-2014 at 08:02 AM.. Reason: Typo
JxL is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2014, 01:09 PM   #2
exv152
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

Even though it says it's suitable for tanks larger than 40g, it's going to take a while before the entire tank reaches the desired co2 concentrations. This is why a lot of folks go with reactors and inline atomic diffusers for larger tanks.
7g cube
33g iwagumi cube
75g low tech angelfish tank
exv152 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-27-2014, 04:03 PM   #3
jeffturneraz
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by exv152 View Post
Even though it says it's suitable for tanks larger than 40g, it's going to take a while before the entire tank reaches the desired co2 concentrations. This is why a lot of folks go with reactors and inline atomic diffusers for larger tanks.
Ditto to above statement. I'm currently still running a ceramic disc diffuser and am going to get in-line reactor when I can afford a canister.

I started with one like you posted. Hand blown glass, paid $25...and it was a joke. I ended up replacing it with an $8 one that works way better that is just rubber with a ceramic disc in the middle.

Point is, buy that one, if you like it, $17 is not bad...but I have a feeling that you and I both, down the road, will be using an in-line reactor with about 3 or 4 of these glass diffusers in a junk drawer.
Old 08-27-2014, 04:23 PM   #4
exv152
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffturneraz View Post
...but I have a feeling that you and I both, down the road, will be using an in-line reactor with about 3 or 4 of these glass diffusers in a junk drawer.
I have a drawer full of them too, I won't bother anymore with them unless I'm setting up a nano tank, or where I'm limited to using a HOB filter.
7g cube
33g iwagumi cube
Old 08-27-2014, 04:24 PM   #5
acitydweller
ओं मणिपद्मे हूं

PTrader: (177/100%)

i have that diffusor and it was retired after 6 months. it clogged and was cleaned a few times. When it worked, it was okay but saturation in my 40g was never as good as it is today with a reactor. If price is a factor, this reactor fits your budget as it is around the same price as the rhinox 5000.

Amazon.com : Gulfstream Tropical AGU00529 Ista Max Mix Co2 Reactor for Aquarium, Large : Pet Supplies Amazon.com : Gulfstream Tropical AGU00529 Ista Max Mix Co2 Reactor for Aquarium, Large : Pet Supplies

Big Als and kensfish.com both sell this reactor for a little cheaper. by memory, i think mine came from kens for under $13 before shipping.
Old 08-27-2014, 04:33 PM   #6
jeffturneraz
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by exv152 View Post
I have a drawer full of them too, I won't bother anymore with them unless I'm setting up a nano tank, or where I'm limited to using a HOB filter.
See what I mean JxL?

If you don't have a canister filter, I say go for it. $17 isn't bad. I paid close to $30 for mine after tax. Just try to have the bubbles float into a downward stream... for example your filter output. Anything to keep the bubbles from floating straight to the surface.

....but if you can afford in-line now I would. When I first started I thought the bubbles were cool looking.

Now I want an in-line reactor as much for not having to see a million bubbles as much as I want it for its effectiveness.
Old 08-27-2014, 05:23 PM   #7
Aceman
Algae Grower

Do they make a reactor that will work with the fx5 ? Or just I just run the co2 I to the inlet of the filter and use it as a reactor ?
Aceman is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-27-2014, 08:05 PM   #8
exv152
Wannabe Guru

For a large filter with tons of flow like the fx5 you're not going to find an off-the-shelf reactor. At 954 gph you're basically looking at a DIY job and several attempts at getting the right lenght/diameter for full co2 diffusion.
7g cube
33g iwagumi cube

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.