Dewalltheway's - "The 125G" - Page 25
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 04-11-2014, 04:01 PM   #361
scapegoat
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (15/100%)

most people don't need/want sumps. nothing wrong with it. I chose one so I wouldn't need to top it off every day to keep the display tank water level consistent.

But yes, your tank is gorgeous and well planted enough to hide most of the equipment.

Old 08-27-2014, 01:58 AM   #362
dewalltheway
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (134/99%)

An update on how the tank is doing after almost 9 months. My goal was to not rescape it for a year, but I don't think I am going to make it. The moss is getting crappy looking, the jungle vals are starting to get out of control (though they still look good) and I am wanting something new.

The beginning of the Scape on January 1, 2014

The Scape as of today 8-26-14

A bit brighter
Old 08-27-2014, 03:05 AM   #363
ua hua
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (51/100%)

Oh c'mon Mark you couldn't even make it a whole year.

The tank looks great and has filled in very well but I completely understand that after awhile it's just time for a change. A lot of people can't even let a scape last a couple of months after getting bored of it so a year is a good run if you ask me. My recent scape will be a year old next week and I have plans in the work to redo it within the next month or so. I got some different rock and Tom is sending me a couple nice pieces of Manzanita that I have been eyeballing for a few months now.

I will be looking forward to seeing what you come up with next and have always enjoyed your tanks.

But with this new scape how about some more pictures.
All matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death life is only a dream which is an imagination of ourselves. Bill Hicks
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
ua hua's 90 gal. high tech
ua hua's 5,000 gal. water garden
ua hua is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-27-2014, 12:55 PM   #364
adive
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

Great tank with some of my fav fish and plants. How does one trim vals? Thanks. I recently got some and it will soon be time to trim.
adive is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-27-2014, 02:28 PM   #365
dewalltheway
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ua hua View Post
Oh c'mon Mark you couldn't even make it a whole year.

The tank looks great and has filled in very well but I completely understand that after awhile it's just time for a change. A lot of people can't even let a scape last a couple of months after getting bored of it so a year is a good run if you ask me. My recent scape will be a year old next week and I have plans in the work to redo it within the next month or so. I got some different rock and Tom is sending me a couple nice pieces of Manzanita that I have been eyeballing for a few months now.

I will be looking forward to seeing what you come up with next and have always enjoyed your tanks.

But with this new scape how about some more pictures.
Thanks! Good luck with your new scape. I will keep an eye out for pics. Mine will probably go for a year by the time I figure out what I want to do and get the time to do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adive View Post
Great tank with some of my fav fish and plants. How does one trim vals? Thanks. I recently got some and it will soon be time to trim.
When I trim mine, I will take each strand and lift it up vertical and cut it off at the top of the tank.
Old 08-27-2014, 04:27 PM   #366
mistuhmarc
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)

My god that looks beautiful. I envy your tank...
Old 08-28-2014, 11:13 PM   #367
macclellan
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (208/100%)

looking good, mate.
macclellan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-29-2014, 03:40 AM   #368
rustbucket
Planted Tank Obsessed

Very nice. I might trim it down a bit, but I think I could easily live a year with that!!
rustbucket is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-29-2014, 08:23 AM   #369
adive
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewalltheway View Post
When I trim mine, I will take each strand and lift it up vertical and cut it off at the top of the tank.
So that means just cutting leaves is ok, they dont die or anything. I had read mixed info that if you cut val leaves midway they would eventually die and hence you need to cut from the main bud at the bottom, the entire length. Looks like thats not the case.
adive is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-29-2014, 01:19 PM   #370
dewalltheway
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistuhmarc View Post
My god that looks beautiful. I envy your tank...
Thank you for your kind words, but please don't be envious. If I took closer shots, you would see the algae buildup on the anubius nana and the moss that is out of control, but I am glad you like it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by macclellan View Post
looking good, mate.
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustbucket View Post
Very nice. I might trim it down a bit, but I think I could easily live a year with that!!
I could probably go a year but I just get bored and want something new and fresh. It does need a trim and some cleaning up, that is for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adive View Post
So that means just cutting leaves is ok, they dont die or anything. I had read mixed info that if you cut val leaves midway they would eventually die and hence you need to cut from the main bud at the bottom, the entire length. Looks like thats not the case.
They will eventually die and just fall off and float to the top but there are always new ones that replace. The ones in this tank have been there since January this year and I have trimmed them about every 2 weeks. After my trim, I will take my hand and run my fingers from the base to the top (like running your fingers through someone's long hair) to pullout and loose and dying strands. Just don't do this when they are first planted, let them get rooted first. Hope this helps.
Old 09-04-2014, 01:07 AM   #371
dewalltheway
Wannabe Guru

Well...Sunday afternoon I was trimming my jungle val and I decided to rip it apart as it was getting so overgrown and out of control. I was trying to go a year, but I just couldn't. So..I started with this......

and as of tonight, I am here with still more to do......

I have my rocks, anubius nana petite and moss to put back in yet. Stay tune for completed layout.
Old 09-04-2014, 01:37 AM   #372
macclellan
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (208/100%)

Long time no see, mate! Scape looks nice. At minimum, you filled the tank back up!
macclellan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2014, 03:24 AM   #373
dewalltheway
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by macclellan View Post
Long time no see, mate! Scape looks nice. At minimum, you filled the tank back up!
Thanks! It's taking me some time to get stuff back in, but at least there is water in it.

Bump: This layout probably won't stick around to long. I didn't really have a plan in mind when I tore it out and I just tried to put something together. I just really needed to clean the tank up and thin out the plants. I sat and stared at the tank for at least an hour trying to come up with something. I guess I just didn't have the inspiration that day. The one thing I do like about it is the back ground of jungle vals. The right side is ok but I am not sure if I like the left side or the wood in the center. Maybe it will look better once I get the rocks, moss and anubius nanas in there. Time will tell.
Old 09-04-2014, 05:39 PM   #374
DBridges
Algae Grower

Wonderful journal! Thanks for keeping up with it. Just read through the whole thing. Wish I had that amount of space and drywall skills! Having a touch of OCD myself, I really like the organization.

So far I think you're rescape efforts are looking good.

David

Fluval G6 Fluval Pimp Club #046
DBridges is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-05-2014, 06:40 PM   #375
The Dude
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (20/100%)

What a tremendous journal. I've greatly enjoyed it from the start. The last scape was really amazing, but you seem to make improvements with each rescape so I'm excited to see what's next
Member #13

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=678009
The Dude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.