Emperor 280 flow rate too high?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 08-09-2014, 03:52 PM   #1
Altapura
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Emperor 280 flow rate too high?

I have recently revived on old Oceanic 30 gal cube as a planted tank using an Emperor 280 filter. This filter has a little flow adjuster lever on it. Although I'm sure that filtration is way better when on full blast, the fish seem like they have to fight the current of the outflow and some of my smaller fish end up just sort of avoiding that side of the tank. If I adjust the flow to say 50% or less, they seem way more comfortable but is the filter still effective and is this safe for the fish long term?
Altapura is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-09-2014, 11:59 PM   #2
gmh
Algae Grower

It'll still be effective, just not as strong. Are you using just the one filter cartridge? Do you keep the water level near the top of the tank? That alone should make the flow less turbulent.
What fish do you have? The 280 is normally a good size filter for a 30 gallon.
gmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 11:02 AM   #3
Altapura
Algae Grower

I have platies and guppies so far. I do keep the tank filled appropriately, but it just seems like the fish struggle on that side of the tank. At the moment, the tank is pretty bare save for some driftwood and a few ludwigia stems. Maybe with more plants, the current will be diffused a bit.

I have been using the one filter cartridge and also the media holder thing.

On a related note, would it be any better if I shortened the intake? Currently, it goes almost all the way down to the gravel.
Old 08-11-2014, 10:48 PM   #4
gmh
Algae Grower

I like to put my filter intakes about 3 inches above the substrate, but that's not going to effect the rate of outflow.
The filter will work fine at the restricted setting. Guppies and Mollies aren't the most efficient swimmers but I would expect them to handle the flow of an Emperor 280 . Are these full grown?
gmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 06:54 PM   #5
Steve002
Planted Tank Obsessed

If your guppies are fancy tailed then they appreciate a lower flow. The mollies like to play in currents. Your filter will be effective regardless of your setting. You can cut flow down with plants, wood, & rocks and aquascape your tank at the same time. Your fish will find dead spots to rest in and play in the current when they want to.
Steve002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 10:51 AM   #6
Altapura
Algae Grower

Seems like the fish are finally used to the filter. I've turned it down to 50% flow which seemed to help a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk