28g community tank attempt... :) - Page 4
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 07-09-2014, 06:59 AM   #46
AGUILAR3
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)

Looking good. You need a ton more plants though.
AGUILAR3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-09-2014, 08:05 AM   #47
CluelessAquarist
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

Why?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-12-2014, 02:06 AM   #48
CluelessAquarist
Planted Member

I love this tank. I will leave it up as long as I possibly can. I don't think any of my pictures show it, but the light on it is actually 48", because it's for a 55g high tech that I am slowly gathering parts for. I'm getting MTS way too fast. There is a special place in my heart for low tech though. I almost regret buying the 55g, because I REALLY want a 75g for the depth, but 1) It was the dollar per gallon sale, and 2) I'm upstairs in an old OLD house so.. Best not to test the strength of the floor. I may be moving sometime near the end of this year, so if I get a room on the first floor. You already know it's gonna be 75g alllll dayyyy. Or maybe even bigger. I don't know. YOU GUYS GOT ME HOOKED! But I love it, so that's okay
Old 08-26-2014, 03:29 AM   #49
CluelessAquarist
Planted Member

Hey tpt, back again with a new update. No picture right now, my tank looks like DOO DOO due (happy accident) to new algae growth. I've got my good ol' green dust algae, my epic green spot algae, my sexy green slime algae, and staghorn algae. So yes, I have a ton of algae. Luckily my dwarf guorami and otos and even my neon tetra are doing well. I'm about to order some dry ferts from greenleafaquarium.com to try to control this algae, also thinking about adding excel to my regimen. I've been patient and my tank is definitely fully cycled now. Time to start having fun with new fish and plants (once I handle this algae)!
Old 08-27-2014, 03:51 AM   #50
mistuhmarc
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)

Adding ferts right away to control the algae might add even MORE algae . You might want to first treat the tank for that stuff first with the h2o2 and excel treatments to get it fully out of the way. You could always nuke the tank (take out your fish and beneficial bacteria) and overdose on h2o2 to kill off all of the algae.
Old 08-28-2014, 08:34 AM   #51
CluelessAquarist
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistuhmarc View Post
Adding ferts right away to control the algae might add even MORE algae . You might want to first treat the tank for that stuff first with the h2o2 and excel treatments to get it fully out of the way. You could always nuke the tank (take out your fish and beneficial bacteria) and overdose on h2o2 to kill off all of the algae.
I just ordered some excel off amazon, not sure exactly what my game plan is now but we'll see what happens
Old 09-06-2014, 03:48 AM   #52
CluelessAquarist
Planted Member

Hey guys, here is the promised update. This tank has really taken off and has been the tank I had envisioned it being. Eventually I would like to move to a bigger tank, but I will leave this tank up as long as possible. Here is an updated picture, taken today (9/5/14)

I'm getting to the point where I might need to trim soon. I need to find a new foreground plant, my h. corymbosa is getting HUGE! Thanks for looking everyone, and thanks for the help! See you soon!
Old 09-06-2014, 04:00 AM   #53
AGUILAR3
Wannabe Guru

Looking good.

Got the algae bloom under control? Is that a 2nd filter on the left and have you thought about using a blk background to hide the equipment?
Old 09-06-2014, 05:18 AM   #54
CluelessAquarist
Planted Member

Not sure about "under control" but the algae seems to be reducing. And yes it's a 2nd filter, purely mechanical. It's not even a Tetra insert, I took the plastic skeleton of the insert and wrapped pillow batting on it. I've thought about it, but I think I'm going to put some window-blurring type film on it. I don't want a fully black background.
Old 09-06-2014, 06:01 AM   #55
AGUILAR3
Wannabe Guru

Same here. I removed the bags and now using fiberfill quilt batting. I also used some blk construction paper on my 20 but with the surface algae on the back wall, its unnoticeable.
Old 09-18-2014, 03:35 AM   #56
CluelessAquarist
Planted Member

I'm considering getting some corkscrew val. Also I need to get my hands on some s. repens. I did some scaping on the tank today, removed the hornwort. I just wasn't digging it. I'm pretty sure the hornwort is what killed my algae, by using up all the nutrients in the water column. The only problem is my other floaters were stunted and shrinking since adding it. Mainly though, the fact that it sheds it's lower leaves like pine needles was to much for me to handle. It made a HUGE mess that I am still working on cleaning up. Anyway, plants and fish are all the happiest they've ever been. I'm in heaven
Old 09-19-2014, 02:26 AM   #57
CluelessAquarist
Planted Member

Today I picked up 5 harlequin rasboras. I LOVE them. I plan on getting another 5-10 later on but I'm introducing them slowly so my filters can build more bacteria. Also I need to dose some potassium, so I'm considering just buying the EI starter pack from GLA. I want to mix my own ferts anyways.

I need to top the water off, and I have more scaping to do, but I never even thought I would be this successful. A huge shout out to those of you who've helped me, been super patient while I was stubborn, and dealt with my repetitive questions. I've come a long way!

EDIT: I just realized today that the tank is exactly 3 months old! WOW what a difference.
Old 09-19-2014, 03:48 AM   #58
Islandgaliam
Algae Grower

Nice job! This is really pretty and looks so healthy. Rasboras are a lot of fun too
Islandgaliam is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2014, 03:41 AM   #59
CluelessAquarist
Planted Member

A more high-res picture of my aquarium! Also, thanks for the feedback Islandgaliam, I appreciate it

Old 09-20-2014, 05:28 PM   #60
TheAnswerIs42
Algae Grower

I love your tank. The layout and plant choices are stellar.
TheAnswerIs42 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
28g, community, diy

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.