Quick and Dirty DIY Fluval Chi Lighting LED Upgrade
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Lighting

Old 08-25-2014, 06:14 AM   #1
dan13daman

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quick and Dirty DIY Fluval Chi Lighting LED Upgrade

Hi all,
Needed a light boost for my fluval chi and thought I could do a custom one for cheap. All you need is:

DC Adapter DC Adapter
Constant current power supplies are recommended, but I wanted to try it out with a constant voltage supply because I had the resistors and power supply lying around from other projects. The resistor does dissipate power but its negligible.

2. A few
resistors resistors
. Make sure you use an LED array calculator to calculate the value of the resistance you want (available online). For this particular array I used (2) 1.5 ohm resistors in series to make a 3 ohm resistor. Make sure your resistor is safe to pull a higher current! Mine was rated for 5 amps.

LEDs LEDs
I used 3 watt LEDs. They seem to be a little bluer than the rated 6000-6500K, but thats okay. I liked these because they already had 120 degree lenses attached to them.

PWM Dimmer PWM Dimmer

5. Electrical Wire

6. Solder and soldering iron

7. Electrical tape (optional)

Directions:
1. Drill holes in the Chi lid. I made two different sized holes. A smaller one big enough for the lenses to fit in that went all the way through, and a larger one that went half way through for the LEDs to sit in.

2. Wire and solder LEDs in series according to the wiring diagram obtained at this site

3. Attach LED array to the resistor. When I first turned on the light I was using only one 1.5 ohm resistor, but the lights got REALLY bright and HOT (315 F measured with my thermocouple) as they were on the upper end of their allowable voltage. This dropped the LEDs from 3.7 to 3.3 forward voltage and 260 F. I still think the temp is too high so I may attach some little fins to them to better draw the heat out. We'll see how they hold up.

4. Tape the LEDs in place. You could alternatively tack bond them and the wires.

5. Hook up the power supply and LEDs to the dimmer.

Thoughts:
I only felt like doing one of the arrays for now, so when I get time I'll do the other side. These guys really do a good job lighting up the tank and I'm really really pleased and impressed. Quick and dirty. I don't mind all the tape and disorganization because the lid is above my head and I can't see any of the wiring. Once I get the other lights up I think this will be a solid tank for mid-high light plants.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2014-08-16 at 2.15.53 AM.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	178.6 KB
ID:	361794  

Name:	IMG_2489.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	44.5 KB
ID:	361802  

Name:	IMG_2490.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	38.4 KB
ID:	361810  

Name:	IMG_2491.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	361818  

Name:	IMG_2492.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	38.9 KB
ID:	361826  

Name:	IMG_2493.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	70.0 KB
ID:	361834  

dan13daman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-03-2014, 07:36 AM   #2
dan13daman

Update with the last three LEDs added. Plants are already showing much improvement after a little more than a week.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2511.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	365258  

Name:	IMG_2512.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	32.4 KB
ID:	365274  

Name:	IMG_2513.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	36.8 KB
ID:	365282  

Name:	IMG_2514.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	68.8 KB
ID:	365298  

Old 10-25-2014, 05:02 AM   #3
dan13daman

Growth after two months
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2629.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	97.2 KB
ID:	383482  

Tags
diy, fluval chi, led, led array, lighting upgrade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.